Texas JP 29 Build

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
jhpeyton

Texas JP 29 Build

Post by jhpeyton » December 11th, 2015, 2:04 pm

So I've decided to pull the trigger and start a JP build. Been on my bucket list since I was 5 and first saw the movie.

Decided to go with JP 29 since it's the "easier" of the jeeps to do. Don't want to mess with the lights on the lightbar as that'd probably go out of my budget and I don't want the utility truck look of JP 10. So that's leaves JP18 and JP 29. Decided on JP29 since I seem to see JP18 more and JP29 was the Jeep driven in Jurassic World as well as Jurassic Park. That and I should be 29 when the jeep is finished.

I got really lucky and found a 93 Sahara, near stock. Only thing I had to do was get swap the stainless steel bumpers, mirrors and hood kit for the factory black. Correct interior, correct wheels, V6, Manual factory AC (Don't really use but a plus none the less) and a nice hard top. It's in very good shape for how old it is, 118k miles, no rust. Near completely stock and just some minor fading and dings on the hood.

Replaced all the stainless steel, but a plus the foglights were still there. Replaced the bulbs and 1 still isn't working, I will trace the wiring and see if there's anything obviously broken.

Interior has held up well for being 23 years old. Correct Sahara seats with the door pouches.

All important side steps, from what I've read and seen no one ever made a OEM looking replacement for these, all aftermarket ones are just bars. Was told I'd pretty much have to find a jeep with them still attached or pull one off another jeep.

Pulled the bumper off and got the bumperets. And the wheels are the correct wheels, so hard to find a YJ with these wheels, most people tend to replace them with giant aftermarket wheels with 30 inch swamper tires or something.

Started pulling off the chrome and put a OEM style bumper on. That grill placement is going to come off when it gets painted. It's screwed in with the screws facing the engine. There's less than 2 inches of clearance between them and the AC condenser. Will probably end up taking off the grill to get that insert off.

Now a few questions if anyone here can be so helpful.

Colors:
Main color is 27055 Sand Beige Poly (Low Gloss)
Red color is "Ford Performance Red" Brand Code #4614 - OEM Code EY-M6564A,EBUAXXA

Are these correct? It's what I've found after some digging through the forums.

Stencils:
Best place to get stencils and door decal?
I'm having the jeep fully painted minus the JP logo on the doors. I've seen a few decal & stencil kits on ebay, anyone have any recommendations?

Rear Amber Lights
I know my chances of finding the exact lights used in the movie or slim to none since I've read they stopped making those lights years and years ago. Anyone know of some close looking replacements that can be easily ordered?

Lightbar
Again not pinning my hopes of finding the bar used in the movies, I will most likely just have a metal tube bent into shape, I don't plan on putting lights up there as that'd be out of my budget. Anyone else have luck with this route? And how did they mount them to the jeep? I know the ones in the movie just mounted on top of the windshield bolts, is there a place that sells mounts like that?
My Current JP29 Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2872

First5.0

Texas JP 29 Build

Post by First5.0 » December 11th, 2015, 6:43 pm

Hit up jack Fauth on the forums for paint numbers AND decals. I few of us have used the ford performance red with great results. No one knows for sure and because they used filters on the cameras it skewed the colors. There are shots where radiant fire red looks correct. So it comes down to your preference. Ford red is more brighter with a hint of orange. Radiant fire is more maroon. Both look great.

Here is mine which he painted and used his decals...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jurassic Vic
Site Administrator
Vehicle Make/Model: 93 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Facebook Profile URL: https://www.facebook.com/vicjurassic
Instagram: Jurassic_vic

Re: Texas JP 29 Build

Post by Jurassic Vic » December 12th, 2015, 8:02 pm

Jack for decals

Your colors are right. If I had to do it over again, I would go with performance red. Eagle makes some 6x4 fog lights for around $40-50 that look pretty good to me.

Where in Texas are you?
A new era. join the Jurassic Auto Group facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/jurassicautogroup

FOLLOW THE VLOG AND PODCAST
https://linktr.ee/jurassic_vic

Jurassic Park Jeep commissions message me!

jhpeyton

Post by jhpeyton » December 12th, 2015, 8:12 pm

Wichita Falls, it's 2 hours north of Dallas. After some digging I went with the Eagle Lights, paid $40-ish for them with shipping. Not going to bank on actually finding a set of the KC 46's.

http://bumpersuperstore.com/i-11436904- ... g-set.html

Just have to paint them black.

Took the jeep off roading before it gets painted and then I deem it too pretty to go do stuff like that.

jhpeyton

Post by jhpeyton » December 23rd, 2015, 11:22 am

Got the decals, stencils, whip antenna and mount, rear amber lights.

All that's left is to put these on and paint the jeep.

jhpeyton

Post by jhpeyton » December 23rd, 2015, 11:23 am

Right now there's some Wrangler tires on, I will probably keep those on and switch to the BF Goodrich A/T's after tax season. Or if my brother in law actually buys my rifle lol

Curious how many people actually put a CB Radio in their jeep? I've thought about it and they don't seem to run more than $100-$200.

And where do the little Jurassic Park logos go? I honestly have no idea.

Jurassic Vic
Site Administrator
Vehicle Make/Model: 93 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Facebook Profile URL: https://www.facebook.com/vicjurassic
Instagram: Jurassic_vic

Post by Jurassic Vic » December 23rd, 2015, 6:03 pm

jhpeyton wrote:Right now there's some Wrangler tires on, I will probably keep those on and switch to the BF Goodrich A/T's after tax season. Or if my brother in law actually buys my rifle lol

Curious how many people actually put a CB Radio in their jeep? I've thought about it and they don't seem to run more than $100-$200.

And where do the little Jurassic Park logos go? I honestly have no idea.

The little ones are random decals. They don't go anywhere on the screen used vehicles so you can put them wherever. Personally I think it's over kill, but people put them on their steering wheels or shift knobs
A new era. join the Jurassic Auto Group facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/jurassicautogroup

FOLLOW THE VLOG AND PODCAST
https://linktr.ee/jurassic_vic

Jurassic Park Jeep commissions message me!

jhpeyton

Post by jhpeyton » January 20th, 2016, 6:27 pm

Haven't made it over to the shop to take pictures yet. But was told the Jeep is disassembled and about to be painted. So hopefully only 2 weeks or less left.

JP Junkie

Post by JP Junkie » January 21st, 2016, 7:12 pm

Oh man.... you picked a beautiful looking Sahara to start with! Nice.

I agree about the paint and going with the performance red... It's seems to be the best fit.

Great choice on the decals also! ;)

I personally wouldn't put logos where their not seen in the movie (I'm all for accuracy).

I know a few people here have CBs in their Jeeps. I think it's a fantastic idea myself.
Jurassic Park Jeep 10: Completed - Location: Minnesota
https://www.facebook.com/JPMaintenanceJeep/
Remember... a correct font is as important as the correct paint color!

jhpeyton

Post by jhpeyton » February 7th, 2016, 10:26 pm

Well here's an update. Shop that's painting it has run behind. Owner was busy and hired some help to help with him a few jobs. His "help" screwed up a 69 Mustang he was restoring, set him back a week and probably a good chunk of change. Good news is it should be finished mid next week.

Got my plates in the other day

About to paint the wheels, I will be getting the BF Goodrich A/T's later.

Getting prepped for paint

What the plan is, for the top, is to have the front edge with a red stripe, a continuation of the stripe going up the windshield. And the end also with a red stripe across the top, a continuation of the back stripe. And on the top of the hard top, in the red strip the number 29 in the base paint like the numbers on the front end of the jeep.