Re-inventing my Complete JP Jeep

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Scrambler_CJ8

Post by Scrambler_CJ8 » September 7th, 2015, 10:25 pm

Hey everyone,

As some of you know, I recently considered selling my 1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (Complete JP18) on the For Sale board and Craigslist. I went back and forth in my mind (and talking things over with my wife) about selling it and even received an offer today for $16K. Well, I guess that was the moment of truth for us…and we've decided to keep the jeep and work to improve it's authenticity to make it the best JP '92 Sahara it can be. I've been chatting with Jack Fauth and I think I'm going to ask him to totally re-work my jeep to help me accomplish my goals with it.

Please feel free to shoot any ideas my way - again I'm striving for accuracy. So for starters, here is a link to my gallery page showing the jeep as is: http://s998.photobucket.com/user/pihtap ... ara%20JP18

Here is a list of ideas I want to pursue - any and all feedback is welcome:

Exterior:

- Correct the shallow dents in the hood

- Remove plastidip throughout.

- Re-paint the entire basecoat with the correct low gloss Sand Beige which is the original color for this jeep. The current paint is a glossier version of the sand beige. Once Jack finishes First5.0's jeep, I'm going to meet up with him to see how different his low gloss sand beige is from my basecoat to determine if the cost is worth it to me to even re-spray my base coat.

- Sandblast/paint/rebalance wheels

- Paint all stripes and wheels red with Ford Performance Red Brand Code #4614 – OEM Code EY-M6564A,EBUAXXA

- Resize light bar, add adapter and mount/install JABSCO lights with interior controls and light surrounds.Paint JABSCO lights Sand Beige.

- Remove all incorrect decals and replace Jeep with spice decals and the rear 4.0 High Output decal if possible.

- Switch both plates and hang tag from JP18 to JP12.

- Remove soft top and hardware and install a OEM factory style soft top and hardware with clear windows. Sell current top, which has seen little use.

Interior:

- Remove the custom JP door panels which are post-92 Sahara door panels missing the green piping around the pouches. I'll sell these.

- Purchase a set of reproduction door pouches from ProjectVIC and an additional set of YJ door panels

- Paint door interior panels SC47091 Dark Green (specialty coating for plastics). Based on the forum, this seems to be the most correct green?

- Remove the spice colored center console with JP badge and sell.

- Obtain another YJ center console lid and paint SC47091 Dark Green and mount on my original Sahara green console that is missing a lid. Any leads on a lid?

- Install Dark Green carpet kit (I can order this from JC Whitney). Considering purchasing: http://www.jcwhitney.com/p2007231/sku-6379986.jcwx. Any thoughts on this - it looks pretty good based on this one sample. Sell the current spice colored that came from a later year Sahara.

- Remove and sell Pioneer radio/CD/MP3 unit and replace with a stock unit.

- Install an appropriate CB radio and connect to antenna.

Well, I guess that about sums the madness up. Looking forward to pushing forward - Jack's JP Conversion service was offered at exactly the right time for me.

Thanks,
Patrick

COBrian
Completed JP Jeep

Re: Re-inventing my Complete JP Jeep

Post by COBrian » September 8th, 2015, 9:51 am

Wow, sounds awesome.. Curious since That light bar used to be mine,, what are you changing on the light bar?
1993 Sahara - JP29 - Denver, CO

First5.0

Post by First5.0 » September 8th, 2015, 10:09 am

Nice! Hopefully we'll get to meet up soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrambler_CJ8

Post by Scrambler_CJ8 » September 8th, 2015, 11:17 pm

Hey COBrian,

Thanks for your post. I'm planning on having the adapter fabricated for the JABSCO lights, have them mounted, and I think the light bar height needs to be reduced too…here is a comparison between mine and JP12 at IOA..what is is supposed to be like an inch shorter?

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Patrick

Husky3
Completed JP Jeep
Vehicle Make/Model: 1995 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Facebook Name: Robert Lundin

Post by Husky3 » September 9th, 2015, 10:16 am

Hi Patrick,

I was looking at that carpet also but the reviews are bad for the fit and quality. None of the reviews were specifically on a jeep install but I'm gonna look around more.

I have a 1995 Sahara and I'm just starting to convert it to JP 18.

I'm gonna post some pictures soon.

I like the way your jeep looks now......

Did you have your light bar made? I need one!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob

Scrambler_CJ8

Post by Scrambler_CJ8 » September 9th, 2015, 3:59 pm

Hi Rob,

Yeah I saw the poor reviews but figured they are probably for cars where the exact fit may be more important… I feel like if I get it and it doesn't fit I'll just return it. No, the light bar came with the jeep when I bought it…COBrian sold it to the prior owner. I think he said it's actually for TJ's but was modified to fit the YJ.

Yeah, I think the jeep looks great as is…I'm looking forward to seeing First5.0's jeep with the sand beige low gloss to figure out if I want to go that far or stay with my current base coat. Regardless the plastidip is coming off and the Performance Red is going on.

Thanks - looking forward to seeing your build!

Patrick

Jurassic Vic
Site Administrator
Vehicle Make/Model: 93 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Facebook Profile URL: https://www.facebook.com/vicjurassic
Instagram: Jurassic_vic

Post by Jurassic Vic » September 10th, 2015, 12:21 pm

Good luck and let me know if you need any help!
A new era. join the Jurassic Auto Group facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/jurassicautogroup

FOLLOW THE VLOG AND PODCAST
https://linktr.ee/jurassic_vic

Jurassic Park Jeep commissions message me!

Scrambler_CJ8

Post by Scrambler_CJ8 » September 27th, 2015, 1:16 am

Making good progress. Tonight I de-badged my interior, removing the little metal Jurassic Park emblems from the steering wheel and dash and the T-Rex decals from the shifter knobs. They are cool and all, but I'm really striving for as much screen accuracy as feasible. I also managed to pick up a pair of original dark green Sahara door panels and a dark green console! After restoring the door panels to their original green using a heat gun, I think my next step is to replace the carpet with dark green.

I'm planning on meeting up with First5.0 at his convenience so I can make a final determination to ask Jack Fauth to not only remove my plastidip and paint on Performance Red, but maybe also repaint my base coat the correct Sand Beige Low Gloss since I now believe my paint is closer to the Light Champagne which is slightly more silvery. Seeing First5.0's jeep in person and comparing it to mine should put that question to rest.

Husky3
Completed JP Jeep
Vehicle Make/Model: 1995 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Facebook Name: Robert Lundin

Post by Husky3 » October 12th, 2015, 1:31 pm

Hey Patrick what did you do about the green carpet?

I'm still figuring out what to get..

Rob

Scrambler_CJ8

Post by Scrambler_CJ8 » October 13th, 2015, 9:22 pm

Hey Rob,

So I bought the Newark kit but the coverage area was far less than the original carpet. The seller allowed me to return it, so now I'm looking at other options. I spoke with a local upholstery shop and they said Auto Custom Carpets (ACC) replacement carpets are pretty much the standard. Their complete kits with rocker panels are about $280, and according to their site 7980 Dark Green is the correct cut-pile for the '92-'94 Sahara. We'll see how it looks, they put a few samples in a variety of dark greens in the mail today. I'll let you know when it arrives…

Patrick