JP JKU?

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Mockingbird

JP JKU?

Post by Mockingbird » September 14th, 2014, 11:14 am

I know it isn't cannon but has anyone her thought about or done a JK Unlimited? It is about time for a new daily vehicle for me and I thought a tribute jku would be a really fun way to go, since the wife and I both love JP. Some questions I would like to throw out there for y'all to opine on: of the 2014-2015 colors none of them are even close to the movie, what do you think would look best? I am leaning towards the anvil or billet silver. As far as the top goes...if I went the hard top route, I wonder if it would be easier to just do the stock black top, get the color match top and have it painted spice or just get the soft top and replace it with a spice skin? My only concern with the soft top is security. We had a YJ when I was a kid that was broken into several times just for the stock stereo...second time they slashed the window even though the dang door was open..(no one ever said petty thieves were smart). Curious on others experiences in this area. Love this site and can't.wait to see what y'all think.

-Karl

cptcrunch
Completed JP Jeep

Re: JP JKU?

Post by cptcrunch » September 14th, 2014, 9:06 pm

Just imagine of the park was open today, they would eventually have to replace the YJs. With the red paint, you'll need to find a complimentary color for the base. For the JKU, anvil doesn't look right, but Dune looks pretty close.

ausjeep

Post by ausjeep » September 15th, 2014, 1:26 am

it wouldn't look right without half doors and them alone will set you back enough to build a screen accurate YJ

kokopelli

Post by kokopelli » September 15th, 2014, 12:37 pm

A 4 door Unlimited would look awesome JJ'd!
Dune would be the color to go with, for sure. Fun fact: 2014 Dune is a rework of an original late 80's YJ color; Sand Dune Beige.
So that would be cool.

inGen

Post by inGen » September 15th, 2014, 1:32 pm

I have a 2014 Wrangler and the color is Amp'd. It's a fairly rare color I have only seen two others and I live in the DC area (lots of wranglers). It is a pretty wild color and seems like a standout JP type color.
Attachments
JK.JPG

Mockingbird

Post by Mockingbird » September 15th, 2014, 2:30 pm

Dune just seems so much more saturated than the original sand beige (more orange). I almost wonder if silver is closer. are you sure you weren't thinking of the desert tan color they discontinued a few years ago? I might take and put them all side by side and see what they look like. As far as the half doors...They are no more expensive than the fulls if you order them at time of purchase, but you are stuck with black for the top because no one makes spice door uppers. I keep going back and forth on that one, because I do love the half doors but that most likely is going to lock me into a black top along with the security concerns mentioned before.

First5.0

JP JKU?

Post by First5.0 » September 16th, 2014, 4:13 am

A jku would be sweet. Just pricey if for no other reason than being newer.

Pic:
http://fav.me/d5mgess
jurassic_jeep_by_chicagocubsfan24-d5mgess.jpg
jurassic_jeep_by_chicagocubsfan24-d5mgess.jpg (82.93 KiB) Viewed 14168 times
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inGen

Post by inGen » September 16th, 2014, 6:52 am

That is a 50K investment. I think only John Hammond would spare that much expense.

Mockingbird

Post by Mockingbird » September 16th, 2014, 9:00 am

Minus the cost of the jeep obviously (since I need a new daily driver anyhow) I think this can be done for a reasonable amount. The nice thing about the JP jeeps is that they weren't jacked up crazy vehicles. My plan is to get the JKU this November/December, probably a Sahara with color matched fenders. Get a set of 5 spoke alloy wheels and tires from the S off of craigslist for cheep (already looked and can find them with tires for less than 500 bucks). After that get the paint and decals done. From there I can "accessorize" , winch, light bar, CB, Seat covers, etc, little by little.

First 5.0: that mock up is fun! The base is the Overland Journal JKU. That is most certainly an expensive vehicle. They started with a Rubicon, then spec'd it out with AEV, ARB, and various other high end parts. I think the only inexpensive part on that vehicle was the wheels which were the steel spare tire wheel of a Grand Cherokee.

Thanks everyone for all the responses so far.

COBrian
Completed JP Jeep

Post by COBrian » September 16th, 2014, 10:49 am

safari'd out jeeps are awesome! that jku above is pretty sweet. wonder what that yellow and black flex thing is.

If you were trying to stay consistent to the originals.. I would say use a sahara edition. 2012 had a sahara tan that IMO would be awesome. But if you are going 2014 model dune is probably best. Canyon Brown might be a 2015 color and might be good.

Since the originals used stock option for top color, then stick with stock option on current year models. Sahara seems to come standard with black soft top, so I think Black top is fine, in either the soft or hard top.
1993 Sahara - JP29 - Denver, CO