Oklahoma City 95 JP12

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
dstone
Vehicle Make/Model: 1995 Jeep Wrangler
Facebook Name: Drew Stone

Oklahoma City 95 JP12

Post by dstone » October 23rd, 2020, 10:00 am

Howdy, everyone. I've been lurking here for some time and realized I neglected to post my build thread on here. I picked up the Jeep back at the beginning of July and am now approaching the finish line.

The stars finally aligned and I was able to start on one of my dream vehicles. My uncle sent me a link to a 1995 Jeep YJ that looked to be in good condition and just a few miles from my grandmother's house. A few days later he was able to inspect it and pick it up for me. It's in really good shape for a 25-year-old vehicle. I had a few dents pulled out of the hood and picked up a set of side steps and other accessories to drop on after getting it painted over Fourth of July weekend.

Three crazy days later I loaded it on a trailer and towed it home.

It's currently setting on blocks in my driveway while the rims get powder coated. I've used the opportunity to change the oil, flush the cooling system and repaint the dash to the correct gray (using a vinyl dye).

One of my cats decided to inspect the wiring (and the 25 years of filth under the dash).

Found this little glass dinosaur rattling around inside the dash. This conversion was meant to be!

I'm in the process of installing an air conditioner, then it's on to the wiring - new speakers, a Bluetooth amp that allows me to retain the factory AM/FM radio, power distribution block and fog light controllers. Found out the wiper controller in the column was broken, that was a pain to replace. Once all that's done I'll install the green carpet. Last piece of the puzzle is getting the seats reupholstered to the correct green Sahara style. Apparently the material is a bit difficult to find but we'll see what my upholstery shop comes up with.
1995 Jeep Wrangler JP10 - WIP
1995 Jeep Wrangler JP12
1991 Ford Explorer EX04 - WIP
1992 Ford Explorer EX05 - WIP

dstone

Re: Oklahoma City 95 JP12

Post by dstone » October 23rd, 2020, 10:01 am

Finally got the call from the powder coating shop. I had them do the front tow hooks and all the metal seat parts in addition to the rims. Should have the tires mounted to the rims tomorrow.

I ordered a "tire sticker kit" to put the correct lettering on the tires since the Goodyear Wranglers were still in great shape. Looks good but they're a pain to install.

My vanity tag came in, so I figured now would be a good time to mount it and finish the wiring on the tag light. Should have the wiring for the rear fog lights done by the end of the week, too.

1995 Jeep Wrangler JP12

dstone

Post by dstone » October 23rd, 2020, 10:01 am

Still have to put the lettering on three tires and paint the center caps for the rims. The winch should be ready in September. Still waiting on a few parts for the marine lights before I'm able to paint those.

1995 Jeep Wrangler JP12

dstone

Post by dstone » October 23rd, 2020, 10:05 am

We had storms producing large hail last night. Knowing they were coming, I slapped on the few remaining parts to get it driveable to move to my barn.

Installed the air conditioning compressor, new serpentine belt, new coolant reservoir and the remaining tire. Also got the steering column put back together. Went to re-assemble a seat only to find out the sliding rails had been damaged during the power coating process. Doh! So, with no way to mount a seat, I had to get creative.

This was also a really bad time to find out the brakes quit working. Had to pump them like crazy to keep from running in to my mother's Excursion. I probably need to replace all the brake hoses, no telling when that was last done.

Took the opportunity to snap a few photos since it was mobile again.

Things left to do on the exterior:

Paint and install the center rim caps - done
Install the winch - done
Paint the mirror arms black - done
Rotate the front fog light grills 45 degrees - done
Paint, install and wire the top searchlights - painting in progress
Minor touch-ups on the paint
Install the drum brake to disc brake conversion kit - done
Replace brake lines - done
Fix the muffler - done

Things left to do on the interior:

Paint the center console and door panels green - minor touchups needed but considered done
Install the door pouches - done
Install the carpet - done
Run hoses to all the A/C components and charge the system - done
Get the seats reupholstered to accurate fabric - purchased original seats with minimal usage
Install the radio - done
Wire the switches for the fog and searchlights - fog lights done, running in to some complications with the searchlights - done
Mount the hide-a-sub - done
Last edited by dstone on November 29th, 2020, 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
1995 Jeep Wrangler JP12

dstone

Post by dstone » October 23rd, 2020, 10:05 am

Got a bit more done this weekend. Spent two days down at my cousin's cabin he's been building helping him wire in the ceiling fans, light fixtures, stove, satellite dish and cell booster and then back to the Jeep. Tore out the old carpet, did some scrubbing on the tub and put the new carpet in.

I relocated the 12v outlet and ashtray (due to A/C install) and modified the ashtray to hide the controller for the new amplifier. Probably should cut some foam or something to fill the little gaps on the top and bottom of the controller. Also finished splicing in the lines for the new audio amp, wired up the fog light switches and started work on the new power distribution block for the fog and searchlights.

1995 Jeep Wrangler JP12

dstone

Post by dstone » October 23rd, 2020, 10:06 am

Got the new power distribution block and breaker wired up along with the final tidbits of the hide-a-sub (mounted in the instatrunk) and fog light switches. I'm very pleased with the audio upgrades; I should be able to get decent sound over all the road noise. While fiddling with the fog lights I went ahead and relocated the mounts for the fog light grilles so they are now at the proper angle.

I still need to put a shield in the rear fog lights so they have the correct projection profile. Probably one of those things that nobody will notice but it will make me feel better if it's there. I was able to find two of the original factory switches for the fog lights so I didn't have to use modern ones that would look out of place.

Two-thirds of the dash has been re-assembled and I'll be able to finish off the glove box area once I figure out a solution to the searchlight controllers. The ones included with the lights are nowhere near accurate and the ones that I purchased that were "close enough" don't want to work. Will have to do some further investigating with the multimeter to figure out what's not playing nice.

Two of the seats have been mounted. I'll get the driver's seat put in once I'm done with the center console. These seats are in incredible shape! Mounted them on the risers that I had powder coated and they look like they just rolled out of the factory.

The rings for the searchlights should be here shortly and I'll be able to get those painted and mounted on the light bar. I'm hoping my replacement brake lines will be here this week, that's the last piece that's preventing it from being roadworthy. I get those on, then it's off to the muffler shop for some exhaust work and then a few final mechanical pieces at my friend's house.
1995 Jeep Wrangler JP12

dstone

Post by dstone » October 23rd, 2020, 10:07 am

Juiced up the AC over the weekend and now I have ice cold air. Still have some tidying to do on the cabling for it. While roaming beneath the vehicle I found some split loom that had been melted (looks like somebody had zip-tied it to the exhaust or something) that contained what appeared to be a few melted vacuum lines. I think these might be a part of the 4WD system but I'll have to do some more tracing to be certain. Shouldn't be too much of a problem to repair them.

After working on all that my allergies tried to kill me and brought a stop to the majority of my outdoor work for about the next week. I used the "opportunity" to work on the searchlights to do dry fittings and get them ready for paint. The lights I purchased are knockoffs of the original. They are almost identical but happen to have better motors and are almost a third of the price. Downside is the neck is spaced a little different. The original prop had three bands of automotive molding that wrapped around it - I can only fit two on here.

These are going to look great. I'm having to fight the urge to go stick one on top of the Jeep.

For whatever reason, there's a fake wire that runs between the light housing and the base. Some of the other builders suggested using valve stems and windshield wiper fluid tubing to create it, so that's what I did.

Just a little more sanding and cleaning to go, then I can paint and epoxy everything into place.

1995 Jeep Wrangler JP12

dstone

Post by dstone » October 23rd, 2020, 10:08 am

I'm finally able to get back to work. Managed to go and get Covid and it really knocked me flat. I got the driver's seat mounted and poked the floor mats in. I really love how the powder-coated seat risers turned out.

I painted the door panels and installed the pouches. The center console didn't turn out how I wanted so there will be a bit more work on that before it goes back in.

Finally figured out what was up with the searchlight controls - one of the joysticks was bad. Got a new one ordered and wired it all up. Still need to come up with a blank plate for the dash (I used the plate off the one with the failed joystick temporarily) and will make the final electrical connections once the searchlights are mounted to the light bar.

What a change to the interior! I'm amazed at how well it turned out.

I finally painted the mirror arms back to black and replaced the front left brake lines. The other brake lines will be replaced at a more convenient time.

With it mobile again, I took it out to gas up and give it a good washing. It turned quite a few heads! I can't wait to get the searchlights back from painting and get the winch in.
1995 Jeep Wrangler JP12

dstone

Post by dstone » October 23rd, 2020, 10:08 am

I don't have any pictures for this update as most everything was mechanical. I finished painting the center console and got it installed, just need to do some touchups now where I managed to gouge it while flailing about inside the Jeep. Found some guitar pickguard material to put over the holes on the blank light control plate that worked out pretty well. The exhaust system has been fixed and it now sounds as it should. Had to replace the tail pipe, muffler and catalytic converter; hopefully it will be good for another 25 years. The rear disc brake conversion kit and remaining brake lines are currently being installed and will hopefully be done in about a week or so. Now I'm looking at a few of the smaller details and kicking around if I want to go through with them - red stripe on searchlight base, white fake cable between searchlight and base, red lug nuts on the wheels (but not the spare), etc.
1995 Jeep Wrangler JP12

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » October 23rd, 2020, 5:34 pm

Awesome looking build! Love the attention to detail down to the lug nut color. I think painting them would be cool and more accurate to the movie, but probably not practical.