Previously on JP18 Build Thread…

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Glissard
Instagram: @raptorwrangler18

Previously on JP18 Build Thread…

Post by Glissard » March 31st, 2020, 1:52 am

Greetings builders and adventurist. I’ve been meaning to post this thread for a while and pick up where JP18 Build Thread, Jacksonville FL left off.

I have been a member on here for a while but have been hiding in the bushes since beginning my YJ search. My initial desire was to start from scratch, find a Sahara, and begin my build. I didn’t ask for help in the beginning, I was willing to be persistent, patient, and wanted the challenge of acquiring the treasure myself. Once I had Jeep, the parts, accessories, and the help would come next.
DinosaurWorldCrew.jpg
After about a year, my search engine endeavors had come close, but still no keys in hand. Along the way I began following Dwight’s meticulous build thread. This guy was knocking it out of the park and being semi near by, I was eager to see his work in person. Dwight was kind enough to invite me along to a JPMP meet up in Plant City, FL at Dinosaur World. There I met fellow members Faith, Jonathan, Brandon, Evan, Phillip, Vic, Dwight, and Jeep 18. Having had a good time with the crew, I was more determined to find my Jeep, and Dwight had started sending me prospects… and eventually one that I didn’t expect.
JeepBound1.jpg
JeepBound2.jpg
JeepBound3.jpg
For a few minutes, I contemplated on whether or not this was the Jeep for me. Do I forgo my own build experience and accomplishments, or fast forward to the end result? It didn’t take long to realize that here is this amazing Jeep right in front of me, so I’ll pass the treasure map to the next avid builder and continue with what Dwight started. I look forward to showcasing the rest of the build here… along with some additional projects I have in mind as well. Stay tuned!

– Nate
JeepBound4.jpg
Last edited by Glissard on April 5th, 2020, 6:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rhylaxk

Re: Previously on JP18 Build Thread…

Post by Rhylaxk » March 31st, 2020, 11:50 am

Very nice ;)

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » March 31st, 2020, 3:36 pm

Looking forward to seeing what the next chapter for JP18 has in store!

Jurassic Vic
Site Administrator
Vehicle Make/Model: 93 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Facebook Profile URL: https://www.facebook.com/vicjurassic
Instagram: Jurassic_vic

Post by Jurassic Vic » March 31st, 2020, 9:28 pm

hey im in that first photo!
A new era. join the Jurassic Auto Group facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/jurassicautogroup

FOLLOW THE VLOG AND PODCAST
https://linktr.ee/jurassic_vic

Jurassic Park Jeep commissions message me!

Glissard

Post by Glissard » April 3rd, 2020, 6:07 pm

Early on in my Sahara search I did pick up one item that seemed to be few and far between in production, the tow eyes! Fitting that when picking up Jeep 18, it was one accessory it didn't come with. What a match! It was made to be.
Tow Eyes Trio.jpg
The first to-do for the Jeep was reinstalling the windshield wiper motor and getting the Bestop spice soft top installed. Luckily the Jeep has a home in the garage, but being Florida, you never know when you'll be out and caught in a 30 minute downpour. I recruited my buddy Herb one afternoon and while on my way to see him, one storm cloud loomed between me and his place. For the next 10 minutes, I drove like Ace Ventura with my head out the side to see as rain smacked me in the face and the wiper-less windshield. The rest of the day was sunny and beautiful, I arrived with a dry Jeep... me not so much.

First up was lowering the windshield, plugging back in the wiper motor, and realigning the wiper blades.
MOTOR1.jpg
MOTOR2.jpg
MOTOR3.jpg
MOTOR4.jpg
MOTOR5.gif
MOTOR5.gif (2.68 MiB) Viewed 15206 times
Next was the Bestop frame install. One minor issue I came across was with the A Piller mounts. The light bar obstructed the mount from sitting flush with the windshield frame. We masked off part of the mounts and dremeled and sanded off the unnecessary plastic. If anyone else has a different remedy to this, I'd like to hear what you did.
BestopBuild1.jpg
BestopBuild2.jpg
BestopBuild3.jpg
BestopBuild4.jpg
BestopBuild4.5.jpg
BestopBuild5.jpg
BestopBuild6.jpg
The rest of the install went well. We had left the canvas top and windows in the sun to help with the final zipping preparations. Not bad for a day's work. Jeep 18 is rain ready. Oh, also upgraded the stereo with Bluetooth! :D
BestopBuild7.jpg
BestopBuild8.jpg
BlueTooth.jpg
Last edited by Glissard on April 13th, 2020, 10:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » April 4th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Love the updates!

Rhylaxk

Post by Rhylaxk » April 11th, 2020, 1:34 pm

Gorgeous...

I hope that I could have one like this one day...

Waiting for this day, could you make us some nice photos (landscape and portrait) of your 18?

Glissard

Post by Glissard » April 12th, 2020, 2:15 am

Rhylaxk wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 1:34 pm
Gorgeous...

I hope that I could have one like this one day...

Waiting for this day, could you make us some nice photos (landscape and portrait) of your 18?

I Absolutely will! Check back here and you can track Jeep 18 on FB and IG at RaptorWrangler18. :D

Glissard

Post by Glissard » April 13th, 2020, 7:37 pm

Ramsey Winch REP 6000 prep:

Dwight supplied me with the winch but it was in need of a little TLC. Time for some cleaning, sanding, greasing, cleaning, spooling, and painting.
REPPrep1.jpg
REPPrep2Drum housing.jpeg
REPPrep3.jpg
REPPrep4Grease.jpg
Mail call from Summit with replacement decals, new tie rods, and fairlead.
REPPrep5TieRods.jpg
REPPrep6.jpg
REPPrep7.jpg
REPPrep8.jpg
Initially Dwight was going with custom spacers for in-between the bumper and the winch plate. I ended up using 2x2x1/4 inch spacers. I wanted to have a clean look versus using washers, I think these did the trick nicely.
REPPrep9.jpg
Additional decals supplied by Kevin at jp.401graphics.com.
REPPrep10.jpg
Final assembly.
REPPrep11.jpg
Ikea PTSD.
REPPrep12.jpg
REPPrep13.jpg
REPPrep14.jpg
All in all, I'm very pleased with how this came out. Early on, I wasn't certain of the cable's condition until unspooling it. I do plan on replacing it, but for now, it's fine to showcase.

It has been an amazing experience working on this Jeep so far. I appreciate all the help, advice, and compliments I've received. It has taken some getting use to driving around in such an iconic, head-turning vehicle, but it's been well worth seeing everyone's reaction... including the few on the highway who tend to creep into my lane while trying to shag a photo. "Eye's on me!" Ah well, all part of the adventure.

Munker68
Vehicle Make/Model: 1993 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Facebook Name: Billy Munker
Instagram: unclemunk68

Post by Munker68 » April 17th, 2020, 3:24 pm

Great job on the winch it turned out great! When I restored my 6k I did not replace the cable, I think the color of the used metal looks so much better than a new line!