Explorer Build Thread - Jacksonville FL

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Dwight
Site Moderator

Re: Explorer Build Thread - Jacksonville FL

Post by Dwight » March 20th, 2020, 2:20 pm

Managed to pick this Maxa Beam MBS-410 from a small company in MA for $300. It looks brand new and came with the whole kit.
MaxaBeam.jpg
MaxaBeam.jpg (64.15 KiB) Viewed 92319 times

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » March 20th, 2020, 2:23 pm

Since starting my first Jurassic Jeep build, most of the work i've done has come out of a one car garage in which I had very little room to work. It brings me great joy to announce that i've purchased a home and finally have a 2 car garage. Plenty of space to work now!
New Dino Cave.jpg

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » March 20th, 2020, 2:26 pm

With all the craziness going on in the world with the Coronavirus, i've had a chance to stay home and work on a few more things. I managed to finish installing the SoundSkin on the floor pan. Just need to treat the inside of the doors, and maybe a few panels and she should be good to go.

Also did a quick test fit of the 1992 rear seats I picked up from a junk yard.
Rear Seats Installed.jpg

JEXP94
Vehicle Make/Model: 1994 Ford Explorer XLT

Post by JEXP94 » March 20th, 2020, 3:58 pm

Dwight wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 2:20 pm
Managed to pick this Maxa Beam MBS-410 from a small company in MA for $300. It looks brand new and came with the whole kit.

MaxaBeam.jpg
No way!!!!

Are they a reseller or were they just getting rid of it?

Also, congrats on the new home and garage space! May it serve you with many years of happiness and fun :)

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » March 20th, 2020, 4:48 pm

They are a company called BMI Surplus that just sell random electronics and equipment. And thank you very much for the good wishes! Its definitely nice being able to fully open the Explorer doors whilst working on it lol.

NathansPROPS

Post by NathansPROPS » March 21st, 2020, 11:53 am

Lucky son of b... Hey buddy nice find with that flashlight. Spared no expense on that price for it. I didn't know that the rear seats were different from 1992 to 1993! Thanks for posting that info, I will keep that in mind for when I start my build.

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » April 29th, 2020, 6:07 pm

Picked up a Vintage Jansport backpack off eBay. This one I would say is about 95% accurate. Correct color and "MADE IN USA" on the tag. However, after looking at frame by frame images of the movie, it seems like the backpack zipper is supposed to go completely down on each side. The one I have stops halfway. Not sure why there are 30 different versions of the same backpack, but I figured this one would do as a close enough stand in until I can find the 100% accurate one. I also believe the tag on the backpack in the film is a little more "rectangular" than this one.
DSC_0884.jpg

This view isn't so bad ;)

DSC_0883.jpg

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » April 29th, 2020, 6:10 pm

Heres a photo of the rear TV that I got working. Love the nostalgia!
IMG_6950.JPG

I'm also surprised at how bright these old MBS-410 searchlights are.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » August 3rd, 2020, 5:23 pm

Build progress has been a little slow lately due to the hunt for those rare parts as well as the big ticket items that I need costing thousands of dollars each. But a little progress update nonetheless:

1) Got my brush guard from Greg which I plan to install tomorrow. Pics to come when I do.

2) Starting removing the original striping little by little using a plastic scraper and some goo gone. Luckily I haven't had any issues with that, but I'm halfway done.

3) Today, my replacement foam for the Pelican Case arrived so I went ahead and started building that up. I was surprised at how hard it was to work with to get as close to screen accurate as possible. Yes, I've got really bad OCD, so something as small as correct placement of props inside of a prop matter to me. There was really only one scene in the film where you can see the flares and fire extinguisher inside the case, and its a bad screenshot at that. But I think I've gotten it pretty close after examining that and Cyrix's YouTube video. Next steps for this prop are to buy some flares and modify them slightly to be more movie accurate. And since the correct Kidde 10 extinguisher is hard to find, I may try my hand at making a correct decal so that we can take any 10 pound extinguisher and make it "screen accurate".

Removing Decals.jpeg
Removing Decals.jpeg (151.99 KiB) Viewed 90789 times
Pelican Case with Light.jpeg

Rhylaxk

Post by Rhylaxk » August 4th, 2020, 1:37 pm

Very nice :)