Explorer Build Thread - Jacksonville FL

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Glissard
Instagram: @raptorwrangler18

Re: Explorer Build Thread - Jacksonville FL

Post by Glissard » November 4th, 2019, 8:06 pm

Ah, meticulous as always! You're going to do an outstanding job with this build, buddy. Good find at the junkyard.

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » November 15th, 2019, 3:23 pm

Got the interior removed. Pretty surprised how clean the floor pans were. There is just a small spot where i'll need to treat some surface rust. Next step for the interior will be to apply sound deadening (SoundSkin). Also officially branded her as Tour Vehicle #05!
Interior Removed.JPG
License Plate.JPG

Cyrix9445
Site Administrator
Vehicle Make/Model: Ford Explorer
Facebook Name: Brandon Constant
Facebook Profile URL: https://www.facebook.com/jurassicparkexplorer04/
Instagram: cyrix9445

Post by Cyrix9445 » November 15th, 2019, 3:26 pm

Looking good!
1993 Ford Explorer

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » November 15th, 2019, 3:54 pm

whaaat! A new look for the forum and a post by Cyrix, hail to the king. Things are changing.

This explorer is clean. 8-)
I am John Sisemore on Facebook

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » November 20th, 2019, 8:49 pm

Tackled the small bit of surface rust on the floor pans with a 4:1 water/vinegar mix. Next step is to add SoundSkin to the floor pans for the sound deadening. Pretty excited for that step!

I also made another visit to the junkyard today. Managed to pick up a 1992 horn pad and a rear view mirror. Still need to find a 1992 steering wheel thats in good shape.

Floor Pans Cleaned.JPG
1992 Horn Pad.JPG
Rear View Mirror.JPG

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » November 27th, 2019, 9:15 pm

Small update:

Managed to get a Dick Cepek Baja Laser light for the hood from Brandon (Cyrix9445) as well as a pair of KC 770 lights from Ebay. Still need to get one more KC light which is a shame because they are so darn pricey. I'll also need to change the light out in the Baja Laser with the sealed beam version but at least the housing is the right one and it has the correct screen accurate base with the fins.

Hood & Roof Lights 1.JPG

Also got my Mirror Tag from Adam Mark on Etsy. It may not be a flashy item, but these kind of small details is what gets me excited for the process of the build.

Mirror Tag.JPG

Apart from those two things, some other things I'm currently working on are:

- TRAM marine antennas for the side mirrors - Need to cut off the extra piece from half of the mounting base. Got to find a suitable way to connect the "antenna" to the base that allows for security but also easy removal. Have an idea in mind but have to find the piece. And then have to plasti dip everything.

- Track sensor - Just need to paint the battery box lid, attach the bulbs that i've made for it, add some sound deadening on the inside of the lid, and install a mounting bracket.

- Arduino - Currently learning the basics of programming the Arduino. While I may be a long way out from finishing the build, it doesn't hurt to learn to programming ahead of time. That way when the time comes to do the tour programming and all the other functionality, i'll have a better understanding.

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » November 27th, 2019, 9:36 pm

it's good that the clear KCs aren't crazy expensive yet. no jpex parts scalpers just yet.
I am John Sisemore on Facebook

JEXP94
Vehicle Make/Model: 1994 Ford Explorer XLT

Post by JEXP94 » November 30th, 2019, 4:22 pm

Cyrix has coded his own entire program that I am absolutely stunned by and wish I could get my hands on the code. I don't know if you are aware that he has made his own fully functional tour program, but in case you aren't aware, here it is:

https://youtu.be/ubWMTpKdpbI

Would you mind asking him for his electrical layout mapping and source code or possibly a download since you are in contact with him? I posted a comment on his other video ( Complete tour program front seat POV) a little while back but never got a response.

This is one of the most detailed aspects of the explorer that would be hard, if not, impossible to do with a lack of knowledge and I'm all about detail and I want my future explorer to be jam-packed with features even if it means putting a little bit of elbow grease into the finished product to get it there :(

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » November 30th, 2019, 7:26 pm

I agree that he's done an amazing job with all the functionality of his tour vehicle. Definitely something to strive for. It would be completely up to him if he wants to share the program. In the Arduino video you linked, he listed all the equipment he used. That is why i've started learning how all this stuff works early on in my build, that way i'm more knowledgeable when it comes time to put it all together.

But really it's the Mac Mini, Arduino, MP3 Module, and iPac talking with each other. For example, when you open one of the doors, a signal is sent to the iPac which essentially presses a key on the mac. That keystroke tells which image to display on the screen. For this example, it would be the screen with the left door opened. It's for sure a steep learning curve, but not impossible. I've got a long way to go to completely understand everything, but if you ask me, thats the exciting part. To actually learn how it all integrates. If you understand you, you could even improve upon things.

Cyrix has definitely made a build that i'm hoping to strive for in my own build. If you're gonna do an Explorer, I feel you definitely need the integration. Thats a lot of the fun right there.

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » December 1st, 2019, 5:54 pm

Took a hacksaw and sandpaper to the mirror VHF antennas in order to cut off the unwanted section of the base. They are coming along nicely. Still need to cut down some threads so it fits more flush, mount the fake "antenna" itself, and plasti dip everything black.
Mirror Marine Antennas.jpg