New member, new project... but on a different scale.

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
gwtthr

Re: New member, new project... but on a different scale.

Post by gwtthr » May 15th, 2019, 8:26 pm

I've already got some of the parts on Shapeways for sale. The list is limited and does not cover all the items needed for the conversion. (I'm making sure they are correct before I sell them). The rims, rear bumper and a few lights are there now.

Besides the large parts like the rims or a bumper, I would wait if you want the full "lot" of items needed. I'll part tree and nest the items together to save on printing costs once I'm done with all the parts and are happy with the products.

artfull dodger

Post by artfull dodger » May 18th, 2019, 8:38 pm

That is what I would do, wait till you are happy with all the conversion parts, then offer it as a package deal as well as seperate parts. Then someone doing the complete JP conversion can just place a single order for all the needed 3d parts. Mike

gwtthr

Post by gwtthr » June 2nd, 2019, 7:10 pm

I had some more time this week. Red paint!! I'm not quite happy with the side numbers. I had to free hand cut them out and they ended up on the small side. Also, I only painted four rim caps. I need five. Then I fit the new turn signal lights into the grill. I even threw the body on the chassis with the doors just for a sneak peak. I'm going to need the rims mounted to the tires to be able to get the body mounted correctly.
Attachments
20190531_094152.jpg
20190530_203643.jpg
20190530_142506.jpg
20190531_091844.jpg
20190530_135518.jpg

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » June 3rd, 2019, 5:28 am

the side numbers will not be prefect because the fender flares are not to scale. On the passenger side the "1" goes in front of the seam on a "life size" version so you really cant move the number down anymore. I might put the "1" at the rear of the seam to get a better look. That would put the "2" on top of the seam on the driver side thought. Extra care will need to be taken to prevent paint seeping under the numbers around the seams. So to reiterate i think your numbers are close to the right size just in the wrong position on this special build.
I am John Sisemore on Facebook

gwtthr

Post by gwtthr » June 4th, 2019, 9:10 pm

On a second look, it appears both the RH and LH side 12's were forward of the seam. I should have made them taller. At this point I'm not turning back. At the rate I'm going I don't need to create more work. I'll fix it if there is a need for major paint re-work.
Attachments
JP12 RH side.jpg
jeep-wrangler-sahara-jurassic-park-replica-sells-for-9k-on-ebay-35951_2.jpg
jeep-wrangler-sahara-jurassic-park-replica-sells-for-9k-on-ebay-35951_2.jpg (99.82 KiB) Viewed 11984 times

gwtthr

Post by gwtthr » June 4th, 2019, 9:19 pm

I was able to mount the rims this past weekend. The suspension and rear body mounts need to be adjusted to get the ride height corrected.
20190602_203958.jpg

VirginiaBeachJP21

Post by VirginiaBeachJP21 » June 5th, 2019, 8:02 am

It's awesome watching this build process. Really amazing job so far! Looking forward to seeing the finished mini.
Current In-Progress: JP 21 - (TJ Build)
Ultimate Goal: JP 21 - (YJ Build)

gwtthr

Post by gwtthr » June 8th, 2019, 9:41 pm

Now on to the soft top. I bought a few feet of steel rod to form into the frame for the top. The frame will follow the soft top structure instead of the actual roll bars. , but for this model still be adequate.
Attachments
20190605_204947.jpg

gwtthr

Post by gwtthr » June 8th, 2019, 9:46 pm

I've installed a new windshield and put on a strip of wood along the top of the windshield frame to help support the cloth top. Now I am trying to figure out how I'm going to make this soft top work. On second look at the cloth material outside the store, I think I should have gone with something more brown or darker.
Attachments
20190608_202104.jpg
20190608_200220.jpg

gwtthr

Post by gwtthr » July 16th, 2019, 8:02 pm

It's been a while. Between fixing the 1/1 scale Camaro, vacations, and kids I haven't made much time for the Jeep. Today I made some progress on the soft top. I had to start with the doors so I can move on to fitting the rest of the top to it.
Attachments
I didn't like the color of the initial fabric I had purchased for the top.  I spent an hour with one of the small doors in a JoAnns trying to find just the right color and type.  Here they are in comparison.
I didn't like the color of the initial fabric I had purchased for the top. I spent an hour with one of the small doors in a JoAnns trying to find just the right color and type. Here they are in comparison.
I made a template for the lower half of the door to aid in placing and cutting the fabric to shape.
I made a template for the lower half of the door to aid in placing and cutting the fabric to shape.
I used clear 3 ring binder sheet protectors for the windows.  It's flexible and gives a scale look.
I used clear 3 ring binder sheet protectors for the windows. It's flexible and gives a scale look.
hot glue...
hot glue...
more hot glue...
more hot glue...
more folding and more hot glue....
more folding and more hot glue....
The finished product.
The finished product.
They are even wavy like the real thing.
They are even wavy like the real thing.