JP22 Build Thread - Willamette Valley Oregon

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
jp41
Vehicle Make/Model: Jurassic Jeep 41

Re: JP22 Build Thread - Willamette Valley Oregon

Post by jp41 » April 3rd, 2019, 5:28 pm

that p blaster stuff is awesome for those. that and an impact gun

Solace

Post by Solace » April 3rd, 2019, 7:47 pm

jp41 wrote:that p blaster stuff is awesome for those. that and an impact gun
This is what I'm going to try next!
RustyRodder wrote:Already digging this! For stuck bolts, I always have the same solution- fix it with fire!
If the PB Blaster doesn't work, then yes IT SHALL BE BATHED IN CLEANSING FLAME :twisted:

I sent out an email to Single Source Coatings about paint. Hoping to get a quote back soon! The JPMP admins are STILL sitting on my application :roll: hoping to get more input on paint and where to source it from the workshop whenever I finally get access. Fingers crossed that Single Source Coatings can help me out though!

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » April 3rd, 2019, 7:51 pm

Just as a gauge, I ordered a gallon of sprayable Sand Beige and still have half a gallon left. Ordered 2 quarts of the Ford Performance Red and still have about 1.5 quarts left lol. If you do go with Single Source and have to have it shipped, make sure the colors are in the right gloss.

Solace

Post by Solace » April 3rd, 2019, 9:14 pm

Dwight wrote:Just as a gauge, I ordered a gallon of sprayable Sand Beige and still have half a gallon left. Ordered 2 quarts of the Ford Performance Red and still have about 1.5 quarts left lol. If you do go with Single Source and have to have it shipped, make sure the colors are in the right gloss.
That is supremely helpful, thank you so much! <3 How many coats of beige did you do? I assume telling them "low gloss" is enough? Or is there a more technical term I should know, lol.

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » April 3rd, 2019, 9:55 pm

I would think that telling them low-gloss would be enough, but i'm not sure if thats an actual term they use. Semi-Gloss is what is listed on the JPMP Reference Page. I was told Semi-Gloss and Satin are basically the same thing. Just make sure that both colors are the same gloss. I almost messed around and ended up with a semi-gloss sand beige with a full gloss red lol. It also depends if you're going with a Single Stage or 2 Stage paint job. Single Stage is what I went with.

As for the number of coats, I did 1 really light coat (since my hood and fenders had some sun damage), and 2 regular coats. The light coat was so that the sun spots didn't show through the paint job. Pretty much did that for the whole jeep, both sand beige and red.

You'll also need the Primer, reducers and hardeners for the paint, but Single Source should know this stuff.

Single Source:

Sand Beige Single Stage - 1 Gallon (You'll probably have to give them the paint code off the JPMP Reference Section)
Ford Performance Red Single Stage - 2 Quarts (Again, give them the paint code off the JPMP Reference Section)
Medium Reducer (Item #MR186) - 1 Gallon
Hi-Temp Topcoat Hardner (Item #MH169) - 1 Quart
SV High Build 2K Primer Surfacer (Item #MP282) - 2 Quarts
Hardener For SV Primer (Item #MH283) - 8 Ounces
SV High Build 2K Primer Hardener - High Temp (Item #MH284) - 8 Ounces

Total - $427 (didn't have to pay for shipping since I had a local Single Source)

I also went the route of having my rims sand blasted so I wanted to buy some Etching Primer, so I went back to Single Source again and bought the following:

Chrome Free Etch Primer (Item #MP220) - 1 Quart
Chrome Free Etch Primer Catalyst (Item #MP222) - 1 Quart

Total - $62

OVERALL TOTAL - $489 (keep in mind that I still had about half a gallon of Sand Beige, 1.5 quarts of Ford Performance Red, half a quart of 2k primer, and a crap ton of self etching primer/catalyst left). Probably overdid it a little bit, but I wanted to be sure I had enough to do multiple coats, and so that later down the road I could mix my own paint to do any touch ups.

Finally, for a little reference: I called a local PPG store here in Jacksonville and just for the sand beige and ford performance red with all the reducer and hardener (no primer and no etching primer or catalyst), they quoted a few dollars over $1,000.

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » April 4th, 2019, 5:23 am

If you ask for LJ1 and they get confused then go somewhere else. LJ1 is a single stage paint that is low gloss and i found that some places dont sell single stage paint. Single stage paint holds up to the sun without the clear. I am curious on what the reference page is saying to do about the red. You cant spray base coat without clear and expect it to last more than a couple of years in the sun. Performance red normally requires a clear and isnt designed for single stage. Its possible to find a place that would change the formula to match performance red as a single stage but the color chip for performance red would require clear to achieve.

Adding flatter to the clear is another way to get the gloss that you want. Some builders spray flat clear over the entire jeep to eliminate the paint line ridge from the red to LJ1 or just spray the flat clear over the red.

Did they sell you single stage paint or base coat performance red?
I am John Sisemore on Facebook

Solace

Post by Solace » April 4th, 2019, 2:21 pm

Dwight wrote:I would think that telling them low-gloss would be enough, but i'm not sure if thats an actual term they use. Semi-Gloss is what is listed on the JPMP Reference Page. I was told Semi-Gloss and Satin are basically the same thing. Just make sure that both colors are the same gloss. I almost messed around and ended up with a semi-gloss sand beige with a full gloss red lol. It also depends if you're going with a Single Stage or 2 Stage paint job. Single Stage is what I went with.

As for the number of coats, I did 1 really light coat (since my hood and fenders had some sun damage), and 2 regular coats. The light coat was so that the sun spots didn't show through the paint job. Pretty much did that for the whole jeep, both sand beige and red.

You'll also need the Primer, reducers and hardeners for the paint, but Single Source should know this stuff.

Single Source:

Sand Beige Single Stage - 1 Gallon (You'll probably have to give them the paint code off the JPMP Reference Section)
Ford Performance Red Single Stage - 2 Quarts (Again, give them the paint code off the JPMP Reference Section)
Medium Reducer (Item #MR186) - 1 Gallon
Hi-Temp Topcoat Hardner (Item #MH169) - 1 Quart
SV High Build 2K Primer Surfacer (Item #MP282) - 2 Quarts
Hardener For SV Primer (Item #MH283) - 8 Ounces
SV High Build 2K Primer Hardener - High Temp (Item #MH284) - 8 Ounces

Total - $427 (didn't have to pay for shipping since I had a local Single Source)

I also went the route of having my rims sand blasted so I wanted to buy some Etching Primer, so I went back to Single Source again and bought the following:

Chrome Free Etch Primer (Item #MP220) - 1 Quart
Chrome Free Etch Primer Catalyst (Item #MP222) - 1 Quart

Total - $62

OVERALL TOTAL - $489 (keep in mind that I still had about half a gallon of Sand Beige, 1.5 quarts of Ford Performance Red, half a quart of 2k primer, and a crap ton of self etching primer/catalyst left). Probably overdid it a little bit, but I wanted to be sure I had enough to do multiple coats, and so that later down the road I could mix my own paint to do any touch ups.

Finally, for a little reference: I called a local PPG store here in Jacksonville and just for the sand beige and ford performance red with all the reducer and hardener (no primer and no etching primer or catalyst), they quoted a few dollars over $1,000.
Thank you so much for the detailed info! it's been tough to track down people's past process and usage when it comes to paint quantities. That's like, the only reason I was hoping to pick the brain of people in the workshop, lol. I'm still waiting to hear back from Single Source. So far it's radio silence form the local industrial coating company that I reached out to, and $700 a gallon at another local "PPG Supplier."

As a minor update to the build, my #10 vislon slider came yesterday! I have both good news and bad news though. Good new is that it fits just fine and the one I linked to on Amazon is a bit sturdier than the existing sliders on the Rampage top. The BAD news is that the top is so old, faded, and shrunken that the back window just doesn't fit anymore, lol. I kind of knew I'd be getting a new soft top eventually, but wanted to at least put it off for a while. Oh well!

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » April 4th, 2019, 4:09 pm

I don't even have a top for my Jeep. Luckily I have a garage, and only take it out on nice days. I'll eventually get a top, but the way I look at it, only JP12 had a top in the movies lol.

Solace

Post by Solace » April 4th, 2019, 6:46 pm

Dwight wrote:I don't even have a top for my Jeep. Luckily I have a garage, and only take it out on nice days. I'll eventually get a top, but the way I look at it, only JP12 had a top in the movies lol.
Fair enough! Sadly, the Willamette valley is notoriously rainy lol. I could keep it in the garage, but it's currently occupied by a friend who moved in after he and his lady friend broke things off. One day I will have a better project space, but having a buddy who pays rent is also pretty rad! :lol:

I'm going to try again with the zipper while the top is off the frame on a sunny day. Hopefully I can at least get it reinstalled. At risk of sounding completely dumb... I din't realize I had a tension adjustment on my frame, this might help too!

Solace

Post by Solace » April 6th, 2019, 3:01 pm

It has rained every single day this week... But despite the gross weather, I have had a minor success!
20190406_125000.jpg
I finally have a back window! It took a good 30 minutes of loosening and tightening the right parts of the top, but I got there eventually. The non-locking #10 vislon slider fits this old Rampage top perfectly, but without the keeper block on the right side, it's still prone to coming undone on it's own... I intend to fix that as well.

I picked up some vinyl window restoration cleaner, and I'll scoop up some soft top cleaner. It's still not the prettiest top, but I'm hoping it cleans up nice!

Only thing I'm still worried about is that big gap between the bar at the base of the window and top of the tailgate. Can't seem to find any evidence to suggest that there's supposed to be a weather seal attached to the bar, but I'm sure I can find a way to blank it off and keep any stray drips from getting inside.