It was "In the making" but now "It's made"

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Re: It was "In the making" but now "It's made"

Post by ratrace427 » May 23rd, 2015, 7:52 am

I got the jeep together but have been scared to drive it with no temp gauge. During the multiple engine re-works the engine overheated and now the temp gauge doesnt work. I have replaced the sender and also touched the wire to ground. Touching the wire to ground pegs the needle out. With that test it seems the gauge is good. I have tried another sender and that doesnt work either. I thought it was bogus parts so i went to the salvage and got a used one. Still doesnt work. It must be the gauge but like i said, it goes full hot if i ground the wire. Hmmm... Im stumped. Any advice? I think its time for a very in depth service manual like "allpro" i think its called. That means i either pay someone or get a user name and password to use the service site to fix the jeep. I hate electrical!!!
I am John Sisemore on Facebook

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » May 29th, 2015, 5:31 am

HA.. the part stores say part number wt428 for the water temp sender but when i look it up on rock auto i get wt430. They have been selling me temp switches not temp senders. So weird that all the parts stores computers are setup with that part number. A light must be more popular. I just need to find a 430. It has been a very hard job finding this. It has worn me down with all the phone calls and driving. STUPID PART STORES!

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » June 25th, 2016, 10:00 pm

20160625_201211.jpg
20160625_201151_resized.jpg
(version 2) Its fun to make and drive art

The thing about art is that you either like what you are looking at or you dont. I guess either way i am getting a lot more looks than before. Maybe its the contrasting colors that catch peoples eyes.

JeepJer

Post by JeepJer » June 27th, 2016, 12:52 am

The art looks sweet, what did you use to accomplish the look?
JP02 - Purchased. Awaiting Pickup Dec. 9th
44 GPW Mutt

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » June 27th, 2016, 5:31 am

i used two brushes and layered different colors of acrylic paint on. I asked one of the members how to do the rust and once i found out that acrylic paint scrubs off i was ready to convert it to JW looks. I was noticing some paint flaking on the red wheels and there was a lot of imperfection in the 25 year old LJ1. I started by using the "rust" to cover up these worn areas. I mixed several colors together to get the color that i wanted but then i decided it was too dark and mixed a lighter color. I went over the top of the darker color to get a cool look. After doing that i liked to put on the darker color then the lighter while the two paints were still set. I mixed a lot of water in with the paint and it does some cool stuff. At times i would take a squirt bottle and spray the already laid down paint to make it spread out.

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » July 3rd, 2016, 8:27 am

I had a fan say that he liked the blood. Uh oh..i still dont have it looking right. I removed all the paint runs yesterday. I have been looking at real rust and it does have a runny look but i dont think i can do it without a air brush. I tried removing some of the paint on the hood and it wont come off. The engine heat and sun has really baked it on.

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » June 25th, 2018, 9:14 pm

After the meet in Branson i have decided to ditch the fake rust look. I had no idea there were so many JP jeeps now. Now that the community has changed and grown it is time to get back into it. When it comes to my rides i like to have the best and there is a much larger group to compete with now. There are some nice jeeps out there now. No one could see our jeep for the inches of dirt and nasty. I told one member she will polish right up but i dont think i was taken serious.

1st step was to lose the fake rust so I took lacquer thinner to the acrylic paint and it came right off. That was easy. It is strange that it has been exactly two years sense i posted pictures of the rust. It must be the June weather that motivates me to do jeep stuff. I have always needed to paint the plastic flares so i think i will do that next. It will be easy to remove and paint these. Finish masters is on the same street as my employer so i will head over there during lunch to have them mix up some LJ1. I will take a sample from them to see if it matches the original. I have noticed that the jeeps with new paint dont seem to be the right color. Paints have changed in the last 25 years so the codes are slightly off but it shouldnt be hard to match the original.

Another thing i noticed was that very few of the jp jeeps were built using this forum. I noticed lots of little details missed on the new jeep builds so if you are reading this then you are in the right place for the correct information. Thanks for coming! forget facebook! Bah..Booo.

DrewSmith007
Site Moderator
Vehicle Make/Model: 1993 Ford Explorer

Post by DrewSmith007 » June 27th, 2018, 10:44 pm

Facebook will get you someday JT....

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » June 28th, 2018, 5:14 am

Finish masters wasnt able to help, they had several paint brands but they were all for base coat clear coat. The paint tech there didnt agree that no clear was used over the sand beige. I called a different place and they seemed to be more in the know with their info and agreed saying the paint was a single stage for the 92 sand beige. I will go on friday after work to pickup the paint needed and maybe get some of the jeep apart over the weekend.

RustyRodder

Post by RustyRodder » June 28th, 2018, 9:00 am

Aw man, i really like the rustic look fo these Jeeps. But clean looks good too!

Yeah, paint is a tough one with so many minor differences. And some clearcoat, others dont.
JP25- Jurassic Park Maintenance, 1988 Jeep Comanche
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2680