Mark Brody

Re: Jeep Driver Hats (2nd Run)

Post by Mark Brody » August 5th, 2018, 10:00 pm

Hats are now for sale here:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=19657

jerseygl

Post by jerseygl » October 22nd, 2018, 4:42 pm

Just stumbled upon your hats on eBay doing a quick Halloween search, they look great! Any plans on doing the polo to match? I did read your thoughts on doing Hardy’s hat. Look forward to seeing what you do with that too!
2013 Sport - Slow and Steady Work Towards a Modern Day Replica.

Mark Brody

Post by Mark Brody » October 26th, 2018, 1:29 pm

I've been searing for a good polo to use as a base, but it's harder than you might think. Details to look for include:

2 button placket, imitation bone (but I'd be okay with any buttons, as these are easily replaced)
Right shade of pink (there are 3 common shades, so when you find a pink polo, there's a 1 in 3 chance it's a good color match)
Pique knit
No logo on chest

For some reason, 2 button jersey knit polos are easy to find, but on pique polos, 2 button has gone out of style in favor of 3 button. I keep searching, but I've has no luck so far.

Harding hats are underway. Maybe they'll be done in the New Year - no promises.

Mark Brody

Post by Mark Brody » November 25th, 2018, 9:18 pm

This is the sample Dr. Harding hat. I've got a few changes to make before we move forward with production, specifically the height of the embroidery and the color of the brim. I'm thinking about fabric #52 for the production run. The last photo has been photoshopped to approximate these changes.
Differences between the Jeep driver hats and these (beside the obvious difference in color scheme) include a slightly smaller logo, a higher profile front panel with softer buckram (stiffener), and microfiber instead of suede.
The advantages of microfiber are numerous. From your photos of the hats you bought, I saw that some of you who've sweated in your hats saw the red dye bleed into the body of the hat. A friend of mine who's kept his hat on the dashboard of his truck for months in the Georgia sun has seen the color fade from the leather. Polyester microfiber will avoid these issues, and eliminate any concerns of indelible stains on a leather brim. Finally, I expect using microfiber will cut the cost of these hats down to a little more than half the cost of the last run, so I'm ESTIMATING about $15/hat this time around.
If you see any corrections that need to be made, now is the time to voice your concerns. Also, if the overwhelming majority wants genuine suede, I may consider it, but all hats will be made of the same materials. A half and half order is not an option. Having held the microfiber brim in my hands, the difference in touch is obvious. Visually, it's a very good alternative, and virtually indistinguishable from about 5 ft or more.

FB6_Aaron
Vehicle Make/Model: Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Instagram: aaron.fb6

Post by FB6_Aaron » December 12th, 2018, 9:15 am

Wow! Those Harding hats look awesome too. Looking forward to seeing how they turn out with the changes you will be making.

Ericthemarine

Post by Ericthemarine » February 12th, 2019, 6:37 pm

Any update on these? Also any plans to make a run of the driver hats in microfiber?

These look awesome! I like the idea of the microfiber purely for its durability. I’m very prone to leaving hats on the dash of my vehicles. As well as excessive wearing of them in the rain. Phenomenal work!

Mark Brody

Post by Mark Brody » February 21st, 2019, 9:19 pm

Communication with the manufacturer is slow (mostly because I'm so busy it takes ME a long time to respond), but the order is in. It'll be here sometime in the Spring. As far as red microfiber hats are concerned, I want to clear out the old stock before I place a new order.

Ericthemarine

Post by Ericthemarine » February 21st, 2019, 10:17 pm

So what you are saying is, I need to buy an old stock hat to help deplete the old stock? Roger that! I’ll figure that out here within the hour and put in an order for one. :)

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » April 8th, 2019, 2:23 pm

Do you still have any hats left?

Mark Brody

Post by Mark Brody » April 8th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Yes, I still have Jeep driver hats available for $20 each plus $5 flat rate shipping to all CONUS addresses. I do ship internationally if anyone needs it. Just PM me for a shipping quote. Send payments via PayPal to JurassicExpeditions@gmail.com and don’t forget to include your shipping address.

Harding hats should be here within the next few months.