Jurassic Park... Prius?

Working a JP project or event? Post here to share with board members!
ianc

Re: Jurassic Park... Prius?

Post by ianc » February 21st, 2012, 8:43 pm

Well, I do videography for a living, and I was able to trade my videography services in order to help bring the price down. Of course, I'm sure you'll understand I can't disclose the discount I was given. But, here's some pricing guidelines straight from the company doing the vehicle wrap...
  • How large is the total area to be wrapped?
  • What are the surface conditions that the wrap material will be applied to? Are there rivets, screws, corrugations, seams, etc. that will require additional attention and labor?
  • How complex is the geometry to be wrapped? (a flat surface is a much different application than the spoiler and bumper of a car)
  • How long is the wrap intended to stay on the vehicle?
  • Are there windows involved that need to be covered with perforated window film in order to complete the graphic layout in the wrap design?
  • What are the design requirements? Is the wrap primarily a solid color with some cut vinyl accents, or is there significant information and/or imagery that needs to be carefully planned around and incorporated into the custom wrap design? Is the client bringing artwork to use in the wrap design, or are we starting "from scratch"?
  • Does the client bring us donuts? :)
  • It's typical to see the fabrication and installation of full vehicle wraps for cars and vans be priced between $2-3,000 or more depending upon the factors listed above.
Their website is http://12pointsignworks.com and they're located in Nashville, TN. They are some of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, and an extremely talented group.

I compared some different places, and 2-3k is pretty standard for a full service full vehicle wrap.

ImperialTrooper
Site Administrator

Post by ImperialTrooper » February 21st, 2012, 9:53 pm

Not as bad as I expected. It's nice to see companies willing to barter services to benefit both groups.

ianc

Post by ianc » February 27th, 2012, 4:30 pm

Front plate from 8-bit decal arrived today...

Maverick20

Post by Maverick20 » February 28th, 2012, 1:08 pm

a wrap i deal its great! wonder if that could be done easily to an explorer?
1995 YJ Sahara

WRXFlyer
Completed JP Jeep

Post by WRXFlyer » February 28th, 2012, 2:26 pm

ianc wrote:Front plate from 8-bit decal arrived today...

How did you like the quality of the plate? Worth the price?

Ecto-DMC

Post by Ecto-DMC » February 28th, 2012, 7:51 pm

Im interested in there quality as well?
Roads Where were going a Delorean will never go, BUT a JEEP sure will!.

ianc

Post by ianc » February 28th, 2012, 9:32 pm

I wasn't super impressed with the quality. It's basically a thick piece of acrylic cut to size with adhesive decals placed over it (I know, that's basically what I expected, but somehow when I received it I was still a little... underwhelmed?). The decals are for the most part correct, but there are a few minor issues. Here's a link to the full res photo where I'll try to point out a few things: http://www.jporigins.com/images/frontplatefull.jpg

First, you'll notice the issue with the red ring in the JP logo. The right side of the red circle where it meets the black rectangular background for the "Jurassic Park" text, the red overhangs a mm on the top, and falls short a mm underneath. Not a big deal, I know. But, for ~30 bucks shipped, It'd be nice if it were closer to perfect. Another thing, some of the decals seem every so slightly bubbled at the edges. No bad bubbles in the middle of any decals, but for example near the upper edge of the yellow circle in the JP logo, the decal is slightly buckled or bubbled looking, as though it's not smoothly pressed flat. My guess is there's a bit of the red outline underneath it. Now, not a big issue, except that I hope this doesn't cause durability problems. One other thing, you'll notice the top right screw mount hole is a bit jagged. That's because it wasn't cut out. I had to do that with a razor as best I could (which wasn't great obviously lol) because they apparently forgot to. You'll notice in the picture the bottom right screw hole is still covered. I won't need to screw that in, so I left it covered for now. Still, a little annoying that they forgot to cut those holes out, because I'm a bit of a shaky hand, and as you can see, trying to do it myself didn't end up so hot. I hope this doesn't affect the durability either.

Other than that... it is what it is. A license plate sized piece of plastic with an accurate JP logo with custom "07" numbers. It looks nice and clean, the logo looks very accurate, and it actually looks pretty sharp. My main concern is durability. I'm not sure how well the adhesive of the decals will stand the test of time/weather/road debris being on the very front of the car. Let's hope it has a nice long life :).

So, while I'm not impressed with the quality, it's not bad either. Just the few issues I mentioned that I'd prefer not be issues. But, it seems reasonably well made, I just hope I get a long life from it.

weapon lxxxi

Post by weapon lxxxi » February 29th, 2012, 12:11 pm

I noticed the red ring when you put the picture up the other day! :s I also was thinking the red lettering in the jurassic park looks a lil off too? Especially in the 2 "s"? If your happy with it for now tho that's all that matters.
Could you maybe get a clear film to cover it to poss protect it a lil more?

How's the Prius comming along too?

ianc

Post by ianc » February 29th, 2012, 4:25 pm

weapon lxxxi wrote:I also was thinking the red lettering in the jurassic park looks a lil off too? Especially in the 2 "s"?
Gosh dang it. I hadn't noticed that before, now I can't un-see it, lol.
weapon lxxxi wrote:Could you maybe get a clear film to cover it to poss protect it a lil more?
I hadn't even thought of that for some reason. Good idea, I'll probably do that.
weapon lxxxi wrote:How's the Prius comming along too?
The graphics have been printed and are curing. I'm lined up to bring the Prius in to get wrapped this coming Tuesday. SO.FREAKIN.EXCITED. I'll be sure to post pictures and vids of the process/etc.

weapon lxxxi

Post by weapon lxxxi » March 3rd, 2012, 9:17 am

Oops sorry didn't mean to point it out ;). Yea I was thinking a good thick bit of (what we call over here) sticky back plastic? It might be easyer to clean or hold those lil red bits on if it gets chipped. Kinda like the screen protectors u get for iPhones?

Can't wait to see it done. Hope all goes to plan :D