2.5 or 4.0?

Working a JP project or event? Post here to share with board members!
JeepJer

2.5 or 4.0?

Post by JeepJer » November 2nd, 2016, 12:58 pm

Have two options on two different jeeps and want opinions.

A - a 94 yj with 74K gently rode miles (was an RV queen tow behind). Asking $5750. From TX so no rust but then I'm stuck with inaccurate motor and from what I hear a weak one at that. :| Spice soft top and a black hard top included, but no hard doors.

B - 95 YJ Sahara, 154K good seats, 'some rust' it says and fading paint but that will change anyhow. Asking $5K, I'm sure he would budge some. Benefit here is it has all the right wheels and trim except a beige dash, console and carpet but I don't like the miles. No soft/hard top included, full metal doors.

As a side note I already have the correct wheels, half doors with pouches and seats. If I got the top one I just need the step boards and paint for the right exterior look. This is more of a 2.5 vs 4.0 question then I guess. I want to know if anyone went with a 2.5 and regrets it or in good condition if it's a good deal. I only drive highway twice a week but I hear the 2.5 lags.

Thanks,
JJ
JP02 - Purchased. Awaiting Pickup Dec. 9th
44 GPW Mutt

JeepJer

Re: 2.5 or 4.0?

Post by JeepJer » November 2nd, 2016, 1:03 pm

Here is a link to the pictures for comparison. Jeep A comes rust free from TX, Jeep B from Indiana so some body rust but not sure about frame.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
JP02 - Purchased. Awaiting Pickup Dec. 9th
44 GPW Mutt

Espo78

Re: 2.5 or 4.0?

Post by Espo78 » November 2nd, 2016, 3:49 pm

Go with the one in the best condition. I have no input on the 2.5 vs 4.0 debate except they are both pretty reliable and cheap engines. the 2.5's will all have 4.10 gears to help with acceleration but they don't really get much better gas mileage than the 4.0 from what I hear. with vehicles this old I don't really worry about what the odometer says, its more about the condition of the vehicle and how it was kept up.