Jurassic Pauls 3D model showcase

Working a JP project or event? Post here to share with board members!
Jurassic Paul

Jurassic Pauls 3D model showcase

Post by Jurassic Paul » March 5th, 2014, 10:22 pm

Hi guys I touched upon this briefly in my intro but kept it short. Here are all of my JP models and environments I have worked on. Some of these props
will eventually be made in the physical world. I plan on releasing the Jeep and Explorer as a 3d print some time :D

Here they are

Jeep

Explorer

Visitor Center

Raptor Pen

Fences

Signage

Goggles

Barbasol

Ellie

Alan

Nedry still a WIP

John

That's about it for now I'll upload more soon :D

Paul
Check out my JP 3d work on the forum viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2048 or visit my portfolio here http://www.paulelderdesign.com

COBrian
Completed JP Jeep

Re: Jurassic Pauls 3D model showcase

Post by COBrian » March 6th, 2014, 10:32 am

Don't take this the wrong way, I love your work, and I know what goes into 3d modeling (I actually am a published 3d game modeler, of course that was 12 years ago, when poly counts had to be tiny.. but anyway) I do applaud your ability!

Due to our love of the jeeps, I'm going to have to point out the jeep looks off. The flares are WAY oversized and the wrong shape,you can probably save some polys here (not sure what your budget is) because the shape you have is more rounded and the real ones are more angular. The hood bump is a bit to pronounced and has a red outline showing through the texture on the front of it. The front bumper situation is completely wrong with the brush guard as opposed to a winch and fogs. The seat textures are the wrong color and are missing details (could be modeled or could be built into a good high res texture (IE the seat back pockets). The inside of the winshield should be tan not red. the tires should be inside/even with the flares not sticking out. The outside rear mirrors both brackets and shape are off. The front bar that connects the roll bar to the windshield is to big (it is smaller in diameter than the rest of the rollbar, and the windshield frame is to thin as that bar is smaller than the windshield frame and it should have roll bar padding. There is also some werid black connection point that looks like it connects the door to that bar.. that doesnt exist. What does exist is the softtop frame which is very complex and does go in about that position, but personnally I would not model it.

The explorer on the other hand looks very close... there is something funky about the wheel model as there are some funny shadows going on there, and its evident at all angles so I think its a model thing not a rendering thing. For some reason the bubble canopy back end is rendering at a different color than the red paint. The gray circles on the front track sensor should be bubbles.

Your Raptor pen is awesome!
The visitor center needs a higher res roof texture.
1993 Sahara - JP29 - Denver, CO

Jurassic Paul

Post by Jurassic Paul » March 6th, 2014, 1:31 pm

COBrian wrote:Don't take this the wrong way, I love your work, and I know what goes into 3d modeling (I actually am a published 3d game modeler, of course that was 12 years ago, when poly counts had to be tiny.. but anyway) I do applaud your ability!

Due to our love of the jeeps, I'm going to have to point out the jeep looks off. The flares are WAY oversized and the wrong shape,you can probably save some polys here (not sure what your budget is) because the shape you have is more rounded and the real ones are more angular. The hood bump is a bit to pronounced and has a red outline showing through the texture on the front of it. The front bumper situation is completely wrong with the brush guard as opposed to a winch and fogs. The seat textures are the wrong color and are missing details (could be modeled or could be built into a good high res texture (IE the seat back pockets). The inside of the winshield should be tan not red. the tires should be inside/even with the flares not sticking out. The outside rear mirrors both brackets and shape are off. The front bar that connects the roll bar to the windshield is to big (it is smaller in diameter than the rest of the rollbar, and the windshield frame is to thin as that bar is smaller than the windshield frame and it should have roll bar padding. There is also some werid black connection point that looks like it connects the door to that bar.. that doesnt exist. What does exist is the softtop frame which is very complex and does go in about that position, but personnally I would not model it.

The explorer on the other hand looks very close... there is something funky about the wheel model as there are some funny shadows going on there, and its evident at all angles so I think its a model thing not a rendering thing. For some reason the bubble canopy back end is rendering at a different color than the red paint. The gray circles on the front track sensor should be bubbles.

Your Raptor pen is awesome!
The visitor center needs a higher res roof texture.

This is the reason I joined up ;)

I amended the Ford Explorer, turns out those dome bits on the front were on another layer that was hidden so an easy fix. Also sorted the roof by adding the same specular material :)

I don't mind a bit of criticism, makes me a stronger modeller in fact a lot of the stuff in my Shapeways store http://www.shapeways.com/shops/predpaul has been improved from customer feedback before and after they have purchased. I'll be fixing all those jeep parts, don't you worry :lol:

Thanks for the advice

Paul
Last edited by Jurassic Paul on March 7th, 2014, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my JP 3d work on the forum viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2048 or visit my portfolio here http://www.paulelderdesign.com

Jurassic Paul

Post by Jurassic Paul » March 7th, 2014, 5:02 pm

New wheels :D

Turns out the polys were flipped on the others so it was a normals problem. I remodelled them with a higher polycount. No budget here, I'm modelling for fun now the Game models are done in low poly I have HIgh poly stuff to do for my portfolio :lol:

COBrian
Completed JP Jeep

Post by COBrian » March 8th, 2014, 1:07 pm

Great job,, ahh normals... such fun ... kinda miss my modeling days.
1993 Sahara - JP29 - Denver, CO

Jurassic Paul

Post by Jurassic Paul » March 10th, 2014, 8:37 am

COBrian wrote:Great job,, ahh normals... such fun ... kinda miss my modeling days.
Normals are a pain, can't believe I never noticed them it must have happened when I exported the file. On the other hand I have improved on the Visitor Center roof texture, went
for a subtle thatch set smaller in tiling with a bit of noise to randomize it :)

Paul

Jurassic Paul

Post by Jurassic Paul » April 30th, 2014, 6:10 am

COBrian wrote:Great job,, ahh normals... such fun ... kinda miss my modeling days.
Few updates.

Interior of the Visitor Center is done :)

Ford Explorer's are looking photo realistic :)

Also added a winch to my jeep and improved the flares and other bits mentioned.

Paul

Jurassic Paul

Post by Jurassic Paul » August 30th, 2014, 9:52 pm

New stuff! :D

Goggles

Raptor Crate

Cryogenic Storage

Incubators

Paddock Signs

Cryocan

East Dock Sign

Nedry's workstation WIP

Thinking machine Cm5's

Ingen copter

There's more here if you want to see my updates. I'm working on Jurassic Park Origins now so the facebook page is also a good place to check on our progress http://www.facebook.com/JPOrigins :D

Paul

Cyrix9445
Site Administrator
Vehicle Make/Model: Ford Explorer
Facebook Name: Brandon Constant
Facebook Profile URL: https://www.facebook.com/jurassicparkexplorer04/
Instagram: cyrix9445

Post by Cyrix9445 » September 1st, 2014, 4:56 pm

Amazing work!
1993 Ford Explorer

Jurassic Paul

Post by Jurassic Paul » September 4th, 2014, 9:49 pm

Cyrix9445 wrote:Amazing work!
Thank you very much. Coming from you that is a huge compliment, believe me. I hope you didn't mind me using the Screens from the screensaver you made for my Nedry
monitors. I plan on crediting you when the renders go live :)

Little sneaky peek of the Control room for you guys, since these previews more detail has been added too :)

Paul
Attachments
cr1.png
ctrl2.png