Alan Grant props-Water bottle and carrier

Show off your JP props
Pinback

Alan Grant props-Water bottle and carrier

Post by Pinback » January 19th, 2016, 6:06 pm

OK, now on to the water bottle and carrier. In the movie, the carrier appears to be originally from Adventure 16 (A16 to the locals) that is based here in San Diego. Having been a customer of A16 for over two decades, I was fairly familiar with their products, but I wasn't able to locate any actual A16 water bottle carriers that looked like the movie. And the folks at A16 weren't much help since many of them were born AFTER the movie was released.

HOWEVER, I was able to locate some items on eBay that had the correct logo patch for the movie. I bought the items and repurposed them for my wife. I now own 4 of the patches (one is in pretty rough shape) so I needed to locate a bottle carrier close enough for government work. I searched all over and finally found some that were pretty close, albeit, they were in dark navy blue and not black, but oh well. It seems that most every company has gone to a different style of carrier. Either mesh or "insulated" and they didn't seem close enough to the movie. I found some Liberty Mountain carriers on eBay and bought them and when they arrived, I proceeded to modify them to suit me. I removed the Liberty Mountain patches and sewed on the A16 patches using the stills I found for reference.

The bottle in the movie appears to be a Nalgene 32oz/1-liter bottle (assuming that that is what they would have bought with the prop budget & knowing that the stars would have preferred "top shelf" stuff. I went to the Nalgene site and found 32oz/1-liter narrow-mouth bottles in what they call "Frost" and got them for $6.00 each.

The results below:

Pic 1
Water bottles, carriers and tags.
NCM_0002.JPG
Pic 2
Closeup of the carrier tags
NCM_0003.JPG
Pic 3
Closeup of the final result
NCM_0004.JPG
Pic 4
Closeup of the bottle
NCM_0005.JPG
Pic 5
Closeup of the Liberty Mountain patch
NCM_0011.JPG

I'm keeping the orange tethers on the bottles since they seem to like to get lost more often than not.

Cyrix9445
Site Administrator
Vehicle Make/Model: Ford Explorer
Facebook Name: Brandon Constant
Facebook Profile URL: https://www.facebook.com/jurassicparkexplorer04/
Instagram: cyrix9445

Re: Alan Grant props-Water bottle and carrier

Post by Cyrix9445 » January 20th, 2016, 10:27 am

Very cool! I picked up an Adventure 16 patch awhile back (interestingly enough, it was already removed from the item, the seller was just selling the patch). I'm in the same boat, looking for a bottle carrier that matches. I like the one you found. They make dyes made for synthetic/nylon materials, might be worth looking into.
1993 Ford Explorer

Pinback

Post by Pinback » January 20th, 2016, 11:02 am

Thanks. Yeah, I was looking into the dyes, but I got a little ahead of myself and wanted to sew on the patches so I guess I can live with them. Here's the eBayer that I bought them from. It was a two pack for about $11.00 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/beagleoutdoors

Here's the current listing and it appears that they have two left for the same price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Liberty-Mou ... 1669840503

You do have to let them know which color you want so be sure to specifiy "blue".

shadeone

Post by shadeone » January 20th, 2016, 3:23 pm

Looks good! Try Rit Dye to get it black.
I too am another one that is sitting here with the correct Adventure16 patch, waiting for the right carrier. The one you posted looks pretty damn close. I have a clear picture of the original A16 carrier on my home computer I'll post tonight when I get there!

You got a closeup of the mouth of the nalgene? Its the correct bottle, but the ones they sell at target today have a verrrry slight indentation near the top as opposed to the deep one of the movie. Ive been looking for a vintage one but it seems no one wants to sell them because of the whole "bad plastic chemicals" in vintage water bottles haha!

Here's the film version for reference:

Pinback

Post by Pinback » January 20th, 2016, 6:49 pm

Thanks Shadeone. Yeah, that is the pic that I used for reference. If you could post the pic of the original A16 carrier, that would be great.

I'll probably dye them when I get the inclination to remove the patches, dye the holders and resew the patches. Right now, I've got other crap to attend to. But I've used RIT before, dyeing other things for myself and my wife. There are other dyes used for commercial operations specially made for nylon, but they are very expensive so I'll stick with RIT.

The carriers that I chose and bought are the closest that I've found and I'm pretty happy with them until I find an actual carrier in the future. Next step is to test out the carrier(s) while going to the Wild Animal Park (err, I mean Safari Park) here in San Diego while dressed as Alan Grant.

Here are some closeups of the mouth of the bottle. I chose Nalgene for the reason that it appears to be the type given the mouth shape. Sorry for the quality of the pics. I used my new smart(ass) phone and I'm not completely versed with the camera operations.

And I think that you're correct with the whole "evil stuff" in the old plastics thing. They probably also changed the shape slightly for engineering reasons.
Water Bottle mouth.JPG
NCM_0003.JPG
NCM_0006.JPG

Pinback

Post by Pinback » January 20th, 2016, 7:02 pm

Now that I look at the pics side by side, I'm further convinced that the bottle used was a Nalgene.

shadeone

Post by shadeone » January 20th, 2016, 7:55 pm

Here's the original, with a different style label, but you can see stitch lines etc.

and heres the old style mouth in the film, a pic of a vintage nalgene bottle and a new / current nalgene so you can see the substantial curvature of the old style...

Pinback

Post by Pinback » January 20th, 2016, 11:02 pm

Ah, I see the difference now with the closeups. Thanks for posting.

I'm not sure of the viability of finding AND using a 22 year old Nalgene. Even though Nalgene is probably the best (I work in a hospital lab and they make a lot of the lab containers that we use), even their plastic would have a lifespan. If you found one, I would only use it for a standing prop and not for drinking out of simply because of the breakdown of the plastic.

Now that I have the pic you posted and a couple of "almost" examples, I just might try to make a carrier myself out of black packcloth.

shadeone

Post by shadeone » January 21st, 2016, 8:41 am

Make two.
Seriously. I'd gladly pay for something I didn't have to screw around with Rit Dye on!!

Pinback

Post by Pinback » February 2nd, 2016, 3:01 pm

I may make a few more and if It turns out that I don't really need them, then I'll let you know. It may take me a couple or three weeks since we're busy at work and I've got a Squad 51 party coming up this weekend. But you may be on your own regarding the patch. I haven't seen anymore lately on ebay.