East Dock sign

Show off your JP props
First5.0

East Dock sign

Post by First5.0 » June 1st, 2015, 7:45 pm

Built an east dock sign over the weekend. I'm pleased considering I cut and painted everything by hand. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RustyRodder

Re: East Dock sign

Post by RustyRodder » June 2nd, 2015, 9:12 pm

looks pretty badass!
JP25- Jurassic Park Maintenance, 1988 Jeep Comanche
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2680

Jurassic Vic
Site Administrator
Vehicle Make/Model: 93 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Facebook Profile URL: https://www.facebook.com/vicjurassic
Instagram: Jurassic_vic

Post by Jurassic Vic » June 4th, 2015, 4:23 pm

Nice work!

I need to finish mine =/
A new era. join the Jurassic Auto Group facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/jurassicautogroup

FOLLOW THE VLOG AND PODCAST
https://linktr.ee/jurassic_vic

Jurassic Park Jeep commissions message me!

NathansPROPS

Post by NathansPROPS » June 4th, 2015, 8:32 pm

Dude it looks excellent! Very nice work!

jurassicjp12

Post by jurassicjp12 » June 30th, 2015, 9:09 am

Nice did you off a picture or a template?

Brad101010

Post by Brad101010 » July 12th, 2015, 4:57 pm

Looks great, is there any way you could post pics with the size of each piece. I want to make mine

First5.0

East Dock sign

Post by First5.0 » July 12th, 2015, 9:06 pm

I used dimensions from this site: http://www.therpf.com/f9/east-dock-sign ... ts-116587/

Octagon Sign: 12"x12" square, cut off corners for octagon
East Dock: 5.5"x20" more or less
Island: 26"x18"

I used a 8' (?) 4x4 for the post. The signs, I think, were 1/4" mdf. I went to Loews and looked at different thicknesses to find what seemed suitable.

I had a mini projector which I projected the image of the island and boat, traced the outline, then cut as needed.

I had to look up the dimensions for an octagon to fit a 12"x12" square. Lol

I used a miter saw for the small pieces including the legs. I used a hand router for the island and boat pieces in order to get the curves.

I hand drew the east dock letters, taped them off, painted them white, and then used spray paint (orange and yellow) to get the gradient effect. I got a little over zealous with the yellow which kept from having a good amount of white at the bottom but oh well.

I painted the boat piece all white, taped off the edge, created a stencil of the boat, and then taped the boat down. I found the approximate center, put a small nail in, and then used a paint mixer stick with a pen on the end as a jig to create a circle over my taped edges which I then used to cut with an exacto knife to get the circled white edge. Then paint everything blue. Remove the edge tape and boat stencil and hand paint the details and any areas that needed a touch up. (I used the projector to trace the outline of the main circle. If I were to do it again I would use the same paint stick jig to create the main circle and then later to outline the edge. So it's not a perfect circle.)

I can't remember how I did the island but I think I painted the edges white, then taped over the edges, used an exacto knife to create the rounded edges, and then spray painted it all green. Remove the tape and voila.

The arrow piece was painted all white, taped off, and then painted black. Remove the tape and voila.

I drilled a hole in the 4x4 where I had a self securing nut hammered into. It's not a nut but I don't know the exact term. But it's used for a bolt to screw into and it has edges that dig into the wood. Drill a hole through the arrow sign and secure it using a bolt that goes through the sign and screws into the nut piece. I then used wood glue to secure the bolt from spinning when you spin the arrow. I used some washers between it all as well.

I used wood glue to secure the boat sign to the island and then the island to the 4x4. If I were to do it again I would've drilled or nailed the island to the 4x4 and then glue the boat on top of the island thereby securing the island better and then hiding the screws / nails.

I screwed the east dock sign into place and used wood glue to help it out.

The feet were cut according to an etsy guide for making a coat rack. It requires drilling pocket screws using a cheap pocket screw jig. More wood glue as well.

Edit - I searched high and low for image files to take to a shop to have printed but I couldn't find any so I took this route. It was fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk