The SPAS 12's of Jurassic Park

Show off your JP props
SPAS12Project

The SPAS 12's of Jurassic Park

Post by SPAS12Project » March 19th, 2015, 1:11 pm

Hey guys!

As I'm going through the website and learning all about the different trim levels and variations there are to Jeeps (I used to be the guy thinking "a Jeep is a Jeep, right?") I thought I would try and give back a little by writing up a dedicated article to the exact variant of SPAS 12 used in the film!

Enjoy!

http://www.spas-12.com/the-spas-12s-of- ... -park.html
Check out The SPAS 12 Project for history, guides, and replacement parts for the Franchi SPAS 12!
http://WWW.SPAS-12.COM or check it out on YouTube by searching "SPAS 12 Project"!

PaulRevere1991
Completed JP Jeep

Re: The SPAS 12's of Jurassic Park

Post by PaulRevere1991 » March 19th, 2015, 2:17 pm

Interesting article, glad to see to get it screen accurate won't be super hard or expensive.

Do you have a good place to purchase a SPAS that's got all the accurate options? How much would ya expect to pay?

SPAS12Project

Re: The SPAS 12's of Jurassic Park

Post by SPAS12Project » March 19th, 2015, 5:11 pm

Your best bet to always find a SPAS up for sale is Gunbroker.com or Armslist.com, however prices are always higher and armslist can be sketchy. SPAS prices are predictably unpredictable, ranging anywhere from $1,000 - $2,000 and up. A really good option is to go on local gun-owner forums (most states have their own dedicated gun owner forum) and scan the classifieds. That's the best way to find a good deal on one, as many people don't want to have to go through the trouble of listing an auction and shipping a gun. You can also head to a local gun store, and while they probably won't have one sitting on the rack, you might be able to ask if they know of anyone with a SPAS who is selling one. People gun in to gun stores often times just to chat with the guys behind the counter, so there's a shot someone might have mentioned having one to get rid of and they can point you in the right direction. Keep in mind that out of the 37,000 (or so) SPAS 12's ever made, only 5% of those made it into the United States, so you might be looking for a while.

As far as finding one that has the *exact* options as one in the movie, you're kind of going to have to get lucky. Not only did Franchi change variants on parts seemingly on a whim, they also have now spent decades in the hands of the public, and with them having some fragile parts, plenty of SPAS 12's have been kit-bashed into "new" guns. So it wouldn't be uncommon to find one with a smattering of parts that were from both early and later runs.

In my opinion, a fair price for a SPAS in the configuration of the one in the films would be around $1300 in fair condition (give or take $100 depending on market). The lever safety is a big negotiating point, seeing as how it's a safety concern, as well as not having the folding-stock hook, and sling. The more factory accessories the gun comes with, the more expensive it will be. The hooks can sell for $300+ alone, and the slings have sold for $200 in the past.

Hope this helps!
Check out The SPAS 12 Project for history, guides, and replacement parts for the Franchi SPAS 12!
http://WWW.SPAS-12.COM or check it out on YouTube by searching "SPAS 12 Project"!