Handheld Radio

Show off your JP props
Maverick20

Re: Handheld Radio

Post by Maverick20 » January 24th, 2011, 12:40 pm

The Saber II charger you have is that the (NTN4796A Saber). also do you know the size battery pack that is used for the charger?
I am looking at getting one from ebay.
Thanks
1995 YJ Sahara

Cyrix9445
Site Administrator
Vehicle Make/Model: Ford Explorer
Facebook Name: Brandon Constant
Facebook Profile URL: https://www.facebook.com/jurassicparkexplorer04/
Instagram: cyrix9445

Post by Cyrix9445 » January 24th, 2011, 1:36 pm

Hmm, I'm not sure of the part number, but I'm pretty sure you could use any size of battery for this charger. The movie radios have a pretty short battery, I'm guessing something like a 1100mAh one.
1993 Ford Explorer

DrewSmith007
Site Moderator
Vehicle Make/Model: 1993 Ford Explorer

Post by DrewSmith007 » April 3rd, 2011, 7:41 pm

I just scored this set of radios at the tulsa wanamachers gun show. 5 plain radios, and 1 with buttons, and the charging station. My brother and I walked past and saw them, but I couldnt get a cell signal to check if they were correct, but I risked it and it turns out they're close enough for me. I'm looking into the licensing to be able to use them... Got the whole thing for $200.
Attachments
CIMG1444.JPG

cpltony
Completed JP Jeep

Post by cpltony » April 3rd, 2011, 9:44 pm

...and here was me on the verge of going to the gun show this weekend!!

Nice score indeed!!
92 Jeep Wrangler YJ
Jeep #18
Oklahoma

Cyrix9445
Site Administrator
Vehicle Make/Model: Ford Explorer
Facebook Name: Brandon Constant
Facebook Profile URL: https://www.facebook.com/jurassicparkexplorer04/
Instagram: cyrix9445

Post by Cyrix9445 » April 3rd, 2011, 10:42 pm

DrewSmith007 wrote:I just scored this set of radios at the tulsa wanamachers gun show. 5 plain radios, and 1 with buttons, and the charging station. My brother and I walked past and saw them, but I couldnt get a cell signal to check if they were correct, but I risked it and it turns out they're close enough for me. I'm looking into the licensing to be able to use them... Got the whole thing for $200.
Nice!

As for the licensing goes, you might be able to program them a frequency that is unlicnesed. If they are UHF, your radios might fall in the FRS range of frequencies. If they are VHF, you could maybe use a marine frequency as not to interfere with local authorities; I would only do this if you are not planning to setup a repeater, the 6 watts max these radios put out isn't going to travel extremely far. I've tested my 6 watt VHF Sabers and they will go a few blocks clearly with obstructions.

Look here to check the model number of your radios to see what their frequency range is, you can get a RIB (radio interface box) to reprogram the frequency, but it requires the software and a really slowwwww computer to run it.

http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorol ... index.html
1993 Ford Explorer

DrewSmith007
Site Moderator

Post by DrewSmith007 » April 4th, 2011, 7:08 pm

Cool. Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. There are some really old computers at the habitat for humanity restore here in town, and I've been looking for a reason to pick one of them up.

3 of mine are UHF, 3 are VHF. Or so I was told, due to the antennae lengths.

DrewSmith007
Site Moderator

Post by DrewSmith007 » October 11th, 2011, 2:26 pm

Well, an update on these radios. I got them programmed in the FRS band. They're all UHF. Has anyone ran across the very short battery for these? I find most are the large ones, like mine, and few and far between are some smaller, but not as small as we saw on screen. I don't really want one, just proof it exists...

Hinzy

Post by Hinzy » December 13th, 2012, 8:10 pm

I might buy one of eBay for my prop collection
Tell me if you see any $150<
Cheers

PaulRevere1991
Completed JP Jeep

Post by PaulRevere1991 » February 28th, 2013, 8:54 pm

well i got some great news for you all, I found a guy that has a big box of these things at his disposal, and he only wants 12.50 a pop for them including shipping. that's 75 for all 6. They do not include batteries or antenna's but those are cheap. they came from the penn. state police and were neatly stacked and stored. here's a link to his ebay channel, send him a message and he will help you out.
http://myworld.ebay.com/krmjqo?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

cpltony
Completed JP Jeep

Post by cpltony » March 1st, 2013, 10:37 am

I dropped him an e-mail and got his phone number and called him.

He does have the radios and offered me one $20 shipped but was not able to send me a photo because he was 85 miles away and asked me to send the money via PayPal (outside of eBay) as a gift.
If you buy any DO NOT send the funds as a gift, you have no recourse should something happen with PayPal but you can pay the fee yourself which is what I offered.
Thanks for posting :) He was very interested in why we wanted these.
92 Jeep Wrangler YJ
Jeep #18
Oklahoma