Cryo Can building questions

Show off your JP props
marscreature
Completed JP Jeep

Cryo Can building questions

Post by marscreature » March 20th, 2017, 10:31 am

What is the best way to cut open the shaving cream cans?
What liquid is best for long term in the plastic vials?
1994 Wrangler Sahara - JP28 in Michigan

nitroneon85

Re: Cryo Can building questions

Post by nitroneon85 » March 20th, 2017, 10:33 am

Old school handheld can opener. Don't know about liquid, id say most people use water w food color, I'd say olive oil could work too, Just my thoughts, not tested nor approved. Did you get one of the UK runs?

marscreature
Completed JP Jeep

Post by marscreature » March 20th, 2017, 11:46 am

I did order one of the UK runs.
I have a shaving can thats just running out and I was going to practice on, after that I want to cut open one of my Jurassic World edition Barbasol cans.
I also have a 50 pack of the vials and have been trying to figure out a build for one of the large cryo containers that Nedry stole the embryos from.

nitroneon85

Post by nitroneon85 » March 20th, 2017, 11:50 am

marscreature wrote:I did order one of the UK runs.
I have a shaving can thats just running out and I was going to practice on, after that I want to cut open one of my Jurassic World edition Barbasol cans.
I also have a 50 pack of the vials and have been trying to figure out a build for one of the large cryo containers that Nedry stole the embryos from.
Start on the back when you cut cause it will make a little dimple, after that you have to flatten out the bottom ridge so it fits on the cryo unit. I used a glass and smushed the can bottom onto it to smooth it out.

Glissard
Instagram: @raptorwrangler18

Post by Glissard » May 19th, 2017, 6:40 pm

I'm glad this thread got started!

I bought a UK cryocan and will be practicing on a few Barbasol cans myself. I heard prior to using the can opener, make sure to release as much pressure as possible. It was also suggested to use a metal nail file to smooth down the bottom so you don't cut yourself when removing the cryocan part. Perhaps it's not necessary, but if anybody has any recommendations I'd be welcome to hear them.

Also, how are people applying their labels to the new Barbasol cans? A friend of mine suggested a vinyl wrap to help with the top inner bevel of the can.

Love the idea of using the JW edition cans!

Thanks,

Nate

marscreature
Completed JP Jeep

Post by marscreature » May 22nd, 2017, 7:11 am

After a long discussion in the JPMP and looking at screen shots from the movie, the old can top was more of a lid and there isn't a bevel on the top of the label. I was going to try just printing the label on glossy photo paper and wrap that around it.

Valvany

Post by Valvany » June 13th, 2017, 6:23 pm

The barbasol can used in the movie has indeed no bevel between the lid and the top of the label. A detail that is overlooked by most of us,and something I did not even noticed before I read about it on the RPF forum. This makes it a lot easier for whoever want a barbasol can as a prop in the jeep though. I bought a replica from Rylo,but I'm not crazy to put a 250$ can in my jeep,so I will use the new styled barbasol can's,for who doesn't know, are the same design,but with a different label,fill the upper bevel with something (I don't know how yet),and just print a nice glossy old style label,et voila : perfect cheap barbasol can replica :)
barbasol003.jpg
barbasol003.jpg (332.71 KiB) Viewed 10802 times
barbasol002.jpg
barbasol002.jpg (309.93 KiB) Viewed 10802 times
barbasol001.jpg
barbasol001.jpg (146.47 KiB) Viewed 10802 times