SoCal JP Jeep #10

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Cyrix9445
Site Administrator
Vehicle Make/Model: Ford Explorer
Facebook Name: Brandon Constant
Facebook Profile URL: https://www.facebook.com/jurassicparkexplorer04/
Instagram: cyrix9445

Re: SoCal JP Jeep #10

Post by Cyrix9445 » April 4th, 2012, 9:20 am

Yea especially since HVLP really cuts down on paint waste.
1993 Ford Explorer

CineWeekly

Post by CineWeekly » April 5th, 2012, 4:52 am

What about the red and it's paint code? I might have access to have the wheels powder coated if I can easily match the reds.
Need a Jeep in the Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia area.
http://www.CineWeekly.com

WRXFlyer
Completed JP Jeep

Post by WRXFlyer » April 5th, 2012, 8:02 am

Since we don't know the exact red, I just used Radiant Fire (KRD) which is also a 1992 Jeep color.

Boomerjinks
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Boomerjinks » April 5th, 2012, 8:56 pm

For the wheels, I tend to go for as bright of a shade of red as possible, simply to even out the effect of brake dust. Overdo it on the brightness and you will just have to hose your wheels down (as opposed to scrubbing) EVERY TIME you want to show off your jeep.

WRXFlyer
Completed JP Jeep

Post by WRXFlyer » April 8th, 2012, 3:52 pm

We threw a dinosaur birthday party for my son this weekend so of course I had to have the Jeep ready by then. I put the new plate on, added the decals, and installed the winch just in time.

weapon lxxxi

Post by weapon lxxxi » April 8th, 2012, 4:19 pm

Nice it looks great, did u get the 8bit decals or other ones? I love your spare cover aswell.
Oh and that mini jeep needs converting by the looks of it if you have spare paint laying around ;)???

Raptor
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Raptor » April 8th, 2012, 5:07 pm

That looks great! Did the #10 jeep have a whip antenna on it? I don't remember... You should definitely convert the power wheels jeep, if your son likes your jeep he would love his own. I just picked up a power wheels last week to convert to match my jeep (however I am also installing remote controller system on it).

Great job with the build!
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - JP-18 - Chicago, IL
Frame off restoration completed 2/2012

WRXFlyer
Completed JP Jeep

Post by WRXFlyer » April 8th, 2012, 5:40 pm

Yup, used the 8-bit ones. They were fine once I figured out the best way to put them on (four hands are better than two).

I'd definitely like to paint the Power Wheels Jeep too, but we'll see what the little one really wants.

The #10 had the ball mount base, but no antenna. I picked up the ball mount at Radio Shack last week, but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. I don't think I have the right drill bits to do it.

weapon lxxxi

Post by weapon lxxxi » April 8th, 2012, 6:32 pm

Ah looks like I will have to grow some extra hands then if I go with them, havnt searched to hard yet tho. A local shop might do it for me.
Yea check with the lil guy, he might want one just like daddy tho you never know.
I drilled the holes for mine if it's the same as my one it's a scary moment drilling the inch n a half hole in the middle!!! Completely worth it tho the look great.

Raptor
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Raptor » April 8th, 2012, 8:49 pm

weapon lxxxi wrote:Ah looks like I will have to grow some extra hands then if I go with them, havnt searched to hard yet tho. A local shop might do it for me.
Yea check with the lil guy, he might want one just like daddy tho you never know.
I drilled the holes for mine if it's the same as my one it's a scary moment drilling the inch n a half hole in the middle!!! Completely worth it tho the look great.
The 8-bit decals are actually very simple to install and can be done with one person no problem. The key to installing them correctly is you leave the backing paper on the decal, align it on the door, run a line of tape across the top, then lift the decal while still taped to the door, remove the backing paper, start from the top and slowly lay the decal down. The tape holds the decal in place. I was actually able to hold one hand on the decal and the other was holding the plastic edge piece pushing the air bubbles out as I lowered it. If you need clarification I can send pics or do a right up on it. I thought it would be a lot harder than it actually was. It is not worth paying someone to install them.

As for the hole for the ball mount. Make sure you only drill a 1" hole not a 1 1/2". The radio shack ball mount only requires a 1" hole. You can buy a 1" hole saw from Home Depot (Milwaukee Brand) that is dedicated for cutting steal. It is only $9 and worked great for my installation a few weeks ago.
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - JP-18 - Chicago, IL
Frame off restoration completed 2/2012