Ryan's JP Jeep

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
98jeepboy

Ryan's JP Jeep

Post by 98jeepboy » November 14th, 2011, 10:23 pm

Hey Guys

I have finally got time to post my build those far. I am planing to build Jeep 10 or another of the Maintenance Jeep.

I have finally had a chance to buy a few parts to do a scratch build. While I dont have the founds to go out and buy a running jeep. Here is my current Status. I also wanted to share this for all who are building auto JEEPs. I am building mine with the Auto Transmission too. I am going to use a Cherokee AW4, As I will be driven it most days and it will be on Highway alot too. Don't get me wrong I love a 5 speed, But its hard to shift when you have some one crawling between the front seats cause a T-rex is after you; or when your trying to eat while driven.
The Tub, It has a little rust. But is a big eye sore till I get it totally in primer.
The Tub, It has a little rust. But is a big eye sore till I get it totally in primer.
The Frame
The Frame
Rear view of the Tub
Rear view of the Tub
Some Bondo 1/2 inch thick was removed
Some Bondo 1/2 inch thick was removed

d2b4ker1

Re: Ryan's JP Jeep

Post by d2b4ker1 » November 14th, 2011, 10:35 pm

That is a really good way to start, everything is easier to paint. Also like your idea with the AW4 I have been considering it for my own project. Good Luck with your endeavor!

ImperialTrooper
Site Administrator

Post by ImperialTrooper » November 14th, 2011, 11:20 pm

So where did you find this "Barbie Jeep"? :P

98jeepboy

Post by 98jeepboy » November 15th, 2011, 9:41 am

Yeah, Barbie Jeep came to my mind when I seen it. The former owner was military, so I woul hope it was a female. A local guy here was parting it out. I got it and a insturment cluster and a few small parts from him. I will be happy to see it in primer, and all the body work done.

An for the Cheroke Auto. I have done the swap befor in a wrangler TJ. I was very happy with it. It had plent of power and has a higher over drive then the 5 speed. It can be mated to the 4cyl too. One thing I forgot in first post is that I'm not ging with the normal jeep transfer case, I'm going with the np242. Which was one of the first to offer a part time 4wd setting. Nice in the snow, and on wet roads.

Any one know of how to strip the paint quicker then sanding or wire brush. Lol, my backs killing me.

ImperialTrooper
Site Administrator

Post by ImperialTrooper » November 15th, 2011, 9:53 am

Have you tried aircraft paint remover? I think they even sell that at Walmart in the automotive section by the paints.

PaulRevere1991
Completed JP Jeep

Post by PaulRevere1991 » November 15th, 2011, 11:51 am

don't go with a 242, theres a part in there that frequently goes bad, and will cause the front wheels to bounce while turning. its also does not have true 4 low.

98jeepboy

Post by 98jeepboy » November 15th, 2011, 6:46 pm

I am going to pick up some AirCraft Stripper Monday. I priced it, lol cheaper for a gallon then a quart.

Well, with the NP242 transfercase it does have some problems. As do all, I have had about equal number of jeeps with the 231 and 242. I have had as many problems with both. As this one will be on the road most all its new life, I dont need 4x4 that often. An to the wheel hop issue. If it is ran in a YJ wrangler the front axle has the disconnect. I have never heard of it not having a 4low, as this transfercase is also used in the Humvee and Hummer. In them They do not have the 2wd setting.

I will try and get some new pics of the body as I have the driver side nearly to the bare metal. an more picks of the current set up.