Rarn's XJ explorer style project

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
mydigitalvoid

Re: Rarn's XJ explorer style project

Post by mydigitalvoid » October 25th, 2011, 4:12 pm

Looks awesome man! Nice work so far!

rarnwolf

Post by rarnwolf » October 26th, 2011, 4:56 pm

Thanks for he positive comments. I'm going to be finishing the side logos today. Decided to go with white lettering and yellow behing the t-rex logo. The finishing the hood this weekend. Finally will be able to start on a roof rack and lights next weekend. This project is keeping me busy!

Roland Tembo

Post by Roland Tembo » October 26th, 2011, 7:47 pm

Ver cool! Be sure and post some pics with the full decals on. Maybe park it in front of some trees in the rain for a couple for the movie scene effect haha.

ZachChrisKing

Post by ZachChrisKing » October 26th, 2011, 10:16 pm

you should save up some $$$$ and get a glass roof

looks awesome man
2003 Nissan Pathfinder

rarnwolf

Post by rarnwolf » October 28th, 2011, 7:31 am

Love the idea about the pics in front of a forest in the rain. I have the perfect spot in mind. If I had the money for the glass roof I would. My friend thinks he can install a sunroof no problem but it might be kind of weird trail riding at night with the roof lights I'm putting on. Any thoughts? Should be finishing the side logos today and the hood tomorrow

teckman02

Post by teckman02 » October 28th, 2011, 9:35 am

ZachChrisKing wrote:you should save up some $$$$ and get a glass roof

looks awesome man
i would not do a glass roof on a XJ the thing will fold up like a taco, the XJ is a unibody frame the roof is what gives it it's strength.
if you did decide to do a full glass roof you will have to build a full cage inside it.

park it on something like this

walk around the JEEP and open and close each door one at a time and you will see how much the unibody twists under the stress.

the XJ is the worst unibody vehicle i have ever seen

CYPH3R code101

Post by CYPH3R code101 » October 30th, 2011, 12:34 pm

I am kinda surprised that in the movie they didn't use like makes for all the vehicles as usually they do it for free vehicles or sponsorship from the manufacturer. I honestly think it would have been pretty cool with the cherokee as the electric vehicles but not vise versa as like a ford gas off road vehicle. Any way lookin great man!
00 Chevy Blazer 2dr
86 Chevy suburban
86 Chevy K5 Blazer (wrecked)

Breven52

Post by Breven52 » October 30th, 2011, 10:17 pm

I like your idea. It doesnt make sense to me that JP would have bought Jeeps and Fords, so Im all for Standardization. Great job
04' Wrangler Sport
42' Ford GPW

teckman02

Post by teckman02 » October 31st, 2011, 8:39 pm

i have thought about this for a good wile, i think that the explorer had more space than the ZJ grand or it had a more luxury look and feel.
at the time the the ZJ grand was so new that they could not get any

here is the starting life of the ZJ grand

October 1991 The first Grand Cherokee (code-named "ZJ") is assembled at the Jefferson North Assembly plant (JNAP). A total of 106 pre-production 1993 models are built ahead of the January 14, 1992 production launch.
January, 1992 The Jeep Grand Cherokee is introduced at the 1992 North American International Auto Show in Detroit and is driven THROUGH the glass walls of the Cobo Exhibition Center by Chrysler President, Bob Lutz. The Grand Cherokee is the first 4x4 to be fitted with a standard driver’s side airbag.
January 14, 1992 Production starts for the new 1993 Grand Cherokee. 326 units are built during January and 2,335 more in February. Production gradually increases throughout the year, peaking at 19,000 in October. Sales are successful for the new Grand Cherokee. Total model year retail sales tops 216,000 units.
April 19, 1992 The new 1993 Grand Cherokee is publicly announced.
September 1993 1994 models introduced. Grand Wagoneer dropped, new Orvis package, Limited gets 4-wheel disc brakes, side door beams added.

they did not start filming for Jurassic Park till August 24, 1992

rarnwolf

Post by rarnwolf » November 1st, 2011, 6:28 am

Great thoughts and background. I was thinking about adding other things to really make this its own jp vehicle with a different concept. I am thinking about putting lettering on the lift gate in the red (like the numbers eventually) to say something like 'Raptor Division' or something like that. I am reworking the side logos today and tomorrow too. If I don't have success ill need to get decals done. Also building a roof rack. Any suggestions for addition concepts or wher to get decals let me know! Pixeldecals won't work out for me.