Manny's JEEP 12 build

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Railtech
Completed JP Jeep

Re: Manny's JEEP 12 build

Post by Railtech » September 28th, 2011, 10:16 pm

You might look at your local hardware store. I purchased the recessed torx bolts at my local ace hardware.
93 YJ Sahara/JP29 WIP

ImperialTrooper
Site Administrator

Post by ImperialTrooper » September 29th, 2011, 8:58 pm

Railtech wrote:You might look at your local hardware store. I purchased the recessed torx bolts at my local ace hardware.
I haven't had time to stop by the dealership. I'll checkout my local hardware stores first then, wasnt sure if they carried Torx but it's worth a shot before spending a fortune at a dealership.

I did however bring my jeep in to a specialized garage that mostly work on Jeeps. They immediately figured out whats causing most of my issues. My rear U joint is all fucked and ready to fall out. It is at the shop getting fixed now, I will pickup my Jeep tomorrow, and all I'll need to do repair wise is get the exhaust leak fixed!

mydigitalvoid

Post by mydigitalvoid » September 30th, 2011, 9:04 am

ImperialTrooper wrote:I haven't had time to stop by the dealership. I'll checkout my local hardware stores first then, wasnt sure if they carried Torx but it's worth a shot before spending a fortune at a dealership.
Oh yeah, pretty much all hardware stores will carry them... Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, Sears, etc...

Make sure you get a larger sized set (T35-T50), most of the stuff I've needed to do used a T40 if I recall correctly.

Boomerjinks
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Boomerjinks » September 30th, 2011, 10:06 am

Torx bolts are the DEVIL. I recently went to the effort of replacing ALL of my rollcage and channel trim torx bolts with alternatives, and I'm soooo happy I did!

cpltony
Completed JP Jeep

Post by cpltony » September 30th, 2011, 12:51 pm

I pulled all my TORX bolts when I replaced my rollbar and went with the regular bolts.

T40 is the standard, DO NOT use anything smaller or you will strip them.
92 Jeep Wrangler YJ
Jeep #18
Oklahoma

ImperialTrooper
Site Administrator

Post by ImperialTrooper » September 30th, 2011, 7:32 pm

09/30/11 - Got the Jeep back from the shop. It drives so much better and smoother. I also received some JP crest magnets to use until I can afford a real paint job and decals. Someone already made a comment and asked if a new theme park was opening around Vegas, or if I was a JP employee. I loled.

I've never had issues with Torx bolts, in fact doesnt it make it harder for people to steal stuff since its a bit uncommon?

mydigitalvoid

Post by mydigitalvoid » September 30th, 2011, 9:04 pm

ImperialTrooper wrote:09/30/11 - Got the Jeep back from the shop. It drives so much better and smoother. I also received some JP crest magnets to use until I can afford a real paint job and decals. Someone already made a comment and asked if a new theme park was opening around Vegas, or if I was a JP employee. I loled.
That's awesome :)
ImperialTrooper wrote:I've never had issues with Torx bolts, in fact doesnt it make it harder for people to steal stuff since its a bit uncommon?
They are really not that uncommon. Also, remember you have a soft top. Just a sharp object and someone's in your Jeep.

Breven52

Post by Breven52 » October 5th, 2011, 9:57 pm

mydigitalvoid wrote:
ImperialTrooper wrote:09/30/11 - Got the Jeep back from the shop. It drives so much better and smoother. I also received some JP crest magnets to use until I can afford a real paint job and decals. Someone already made a comment and asked if a new theme park was opening around Vegas, or if I was a JP employee. I loled.
ImperialTrooper wrote:I've never had issues with Torx bolts, in fact doesnt it make it harder for people to steal stuff since its a bit uncommon?
They are really not that uncommon. Also, remember you have a soft top. Just a sharp object and someone's in your Jeep.
this is precisely why I dont lock my doors. If you want to keep stuff safe, get one of those "trunk" inserts, or lock it in your glovebox or console
04' Wrangler Sport
42' Ford GPW

CYPH3R code101

Post by CYPH3R code101 » October 5th, 2011, 11:14 pm

mydigitalvoid wrote:
Agreed. I have torx bolts in the trunk area of my 2000 blazer so i bought a set of torx tools. Also a few of my relatives have soft top jeeps and the same leave it unlocked and take all your valuables with you. I wouldn't even leave them in the center console or glove box cuz its not that hard to get into those. Just a big screw driver or pry bar. That is why i plan to get the tan hard top for my jp jeep build. Now if i can just find the right jeep ( holds chin in deep thought pose.)
00 Chevy Blazer 2dr
86 Chevy suburban
86 Chevy K5 Blazer (wrecked)

ImperialTrooper
Site Administrator

Post by ImperialTrooper » October 6th, 2011, 12:00 am

Rest assured I don't leave anything valuable in my jeep. I take out the stereo faceplate, and don't even have a center console. I may even be moving houses in the near future. One that will have a 3 door garage to fit the Jeep :)