Modern "Inspired" 37

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
PaulRevere1991
Completed JP Jeep

Re: Modern "Inspired" 37

Post by PaulRevere1991 » September 19th, 2011, 11:25 pm

you interested in a spare bushwhacker flare for when you break one off-road. i have a drivers side and the flare extensions ill ship to you for just the cost of shipping,rather you have it then the trash man.

natebrandt

Post by natebrandt » September 20th, 2011, 6:38 pm

teckman02- Agreed, I need tires. But my birthday is coming up and being a broke college student, I'm planning on tires for my birthday :D

So I've got two questions, I want to apply my red today or tomorrow and I want to make sure the angle and size is fairly accurate. Any tips or dimensions on that? I hate just guessing.

And another question, I was going to have a custom light bar made and that still might be in the cards but I was looking for alternatives and found this, it's the three piece design but I've never seen it in person. What do you guys think for a light bar?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12110_5212_07.htm

MonsterTrac

Post by MonsterTrac » September 21st, 2011, 8:35 am

This is looking fan-f*cking-tastic! :D
All I can advise is that you don't use the 8-bit decals. I ordered them as well and when I put them together, I wasn't happy at all.
That led me to get my friend Derek and his team from 'Signs & Designs' to create a single piece decal, not to mention the decals were a little bit bigger then those from 8-bit.
Otherwise, keep up the great work!!

natebrandt

Post by natebrandt » September 22nd, 2011, 2:07 am

Laid the red stripes today. I did make a change to the original. I shifted the back stripe forward and made it a little wider. I taped it out the "right" way, but the addition of the bushwacker fender flares didn't really work. Since I'm not painting the fender flares, I made the change. I'm letting it all sit and really dry for the next day. Friday I pull all of the tape off, wet sand and clear coat. Start on the doors saturday and stencil the numbers.
DSC_0063.jpg
DSC_0063.jpg (121.55 KiB) Viewed 10952 times
DSC_0064.jpg
DSC_0064.jpg (91.21 KiB) Viewed 10952 times

natebrandt

Post by natebrandt » October 2nd, 2011, 7:44 pm

Wet sanded the whole body. Had to respray the gray because my "touch up" can was slightly off in color so I remasked all the red and hit the gray again with a final coat. Then wet sanded to a perfectly smooth finish and laid a few light coats of clear. Got the numbers and hood decal laid. I did forget that the YJ hood punch and the TJ hood punch are different sizes, i.e. TJ it wider so the stencil didnt take up the full hood but I did mock up a correct adjusted size of the hood stencil and it was HUGE. I decided to stay away from it and stick with what I had. I liked the look better.
1 (1).jpg
1 (1).jpg (103.91 KiB) Viewed 10924 times

Ecto-DMC

Post by Ecto-DMC » October 2nd, 2011, 9:56 pm

looking cool :shock: when do you think you will have it done?
Roads Where were going a Delorean will never go, BUT a JEEP sure will!.

natebrandt

Post by natebrandt » October 3rd, 2011, 11:53 am

Well I've got to put it back together today. Then I'm going to let it sit for a week, polish it up and apply the door decals and new front bumper. So it kind of depends on your definition of done. I figured if I could get all the paint done then I could start working on accessories little by little.

I ended up having some tape peel a little bit of the hood paint off, it was too fresh when the tape was laid. So I'm dealing with redoing that by hand. Hopefully it will be okay. Its tough to get the gray paint to match the gray thats under 5 coats of clear since the clear changes the color. Hopefully it turns out fine and I don't have a jacked up hood.

Ted carnduff

Post by Ted carnduff » March 12th, 2012, 8:44 am

Aww i love your jeep project. especially cause your doing it on a TJ rather than the YJ. i myself own a 98 TJ and am seriously thinking of getting the proper JP paint job done within the next couple of years. I have been looking everywhere to see if anyone has tried to make a Jurassic jeep replica on a tj. and im impressed! i actually think itll look cool with the round headlights. even though i myself would still love the square headlights too!

When i got mine i was ready to get the paint job done as soon as , but then after taking a close look at the jeep the original paintwork is actually nearly perfect! so it would be a shame to strip it down and start again. Mine is like yours, as i am from Northern Ireland it rains a lot and is quite damp. so the under carriage is visibly rusted and discolored. My mechanic friend says that over he summer we could do what you did, strip the metal work back and re-coat it. but we will see.

Anyway!

amazing project bro! and keep it up!

ted Carnduff (98 TJ)
Attachments
photo 1_2.JPG

natebrandt

Post by natebrandt » October 1st, 2012, 4:54 pm

I must update this page since I've been putting it off for some time. I began collecting more parts for the jeep and was continually applying clear coat and polishing it up. She looked good other than a mishap with the hood that forced me to being to repaint it.
In mid june I was on my way north to attend a staff retreat. I was on the inside of a right hand turn, as I rounded the corner I realized the on coming landscaping truck had started his turn early and was in my lane. I swerved right to avoid, left to correct, back right to avoid the roll and ended up in the bottom of an 60ft ditch. He kept going and the jeep was done. Needless to say, this pretty much stops the build.
IMG_0292.jpg
IMG_0315.jpg
IMG_0326.jpg
IMG_0329.jpg
IMG_0331.jpg
IMG_0338.jpg

COBrian
Completed JP Jeep

Post by COBrian » October 1st, 2012, 5:19 pm

I hope everyone was ok! I have never seen a wheel get destroyed like that... that's some serious damage.
1993 Sahara - JP29 - Denver, CO