James Pero's #09

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
jamespero

Re: James Pero's #09

Post by jamespero » July 18th, 2011, 11:18 am

$600 is the price for new is what I was trying to say.

Something got lost in translation. :/
James Pero
1995 YJ Sahara, 4.0L 5spd

PaulRevere1991
Completed JP Jeep

Post by PaulRevere1991 » July 18th, 2011, 1:32 pm

oh, ok
i thought he was trying to sell you 24 yr old equipment for 600

jamespero

Post by jamespero » July 18th, 2011, 1:40 pm

HAHA no! He has a bunch of parts from an 88 wrangler that he's trying to sell for $650 for all of it. I told him I'd give him $150 for the top and top hardware. He told me to come by and take a look. So I'm thinking as soon as I get off work I'll head over, it's about a 2 hour drive round trip.
James Pero

jamespero

Post by jamespero » July 24th, 2011, 7:12 pm

Just wanted to update what was going on...

So after finding a leak in the rear break line, I took the Jeep in to get it looked over thoroughly. To my surprise I found that both sides of the frame where the far rear shackle mounts are located have been almost completely rusted out, covered with fiberglass, puttied and painted to hide the rust damage. So, in addition to having to fix the rear break lines I'm faced with having to get the frame repaired just so the Jeep is safe to have on the road. What do you guys think? Should I bother getting the frame repaired (approx. $700+) or just sell it and try to find another one? I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what I should do. When I bought it, I figured I'd be putting money into anyway since I planned on converting it into a JP Jeep, but finding out about the frame damage has kind of put a damper on my spirits. At this point I just need some input from other Jeep owners. From the research I've done, the rust damage that this Jeep has, as far as I can tell, is something typically seen on older YJs (minus the obvious attempt to hide said damage). In fact it happens so often that there are many repair kits/parts available for this specific problem.
James Pero

cpltony
Completed JP Jeep

Post by cpltony » July 24th, 2011, 7:33 pm

What state are you in?
If that was done to hide the rust you may be covered under the 'lemon' law. I'd check into it.
The cost is a personal choice, but if you can get your money back and put it into another Jeep in better condition, would you do it?

Just a thought
92 Jeep Wrangler YJ
Jeep #18
Oklahoma

jamespero

Post by jamespero » July 24th, 2011, 7:46 pm

I'm in FL. Well I bought it from another individual "As is" without knowing the full extent of the condition of the vehicle at the time and they had only purchased it a few weeks before turning around to sell it. I have no way of knowing let alone proving who did the cover up work on it. IF I were able to get my money back, I would definitely have gotten another one in better condition. I just looked into the FL lemon law and it is for NEW or demonstrator vehicles only. So, no luck there. :/
James Pero

cpltony
Completed JP Jeep

Post by cpltony » July 24th, 2011, 7:50 pm

From that is sounds like the person you purchased it from found the rust and flipped it...not good.

I'd look into it at least:
http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/Mai ... C900599FB4
92 Jeep Wrangler YJ
Jeep #18
Oklahoma

jamespero

Post by jamespero » July 24th, 2011, 7:52 pm

I just looked at that site a few minutes ago after your suggestion. It doesn't seem like I'm covered seeing as this Jeep is neither new nor slightly old. :/
James Pero

cpltony
Completed JP Jeep

Post by cpltony » July 24th, 2011, 8:00 pm

DARN!!
Well...flipping won't get you the money you paid for it with the rust being known....so I see it as either taking a loss or putting the funds into it to repair it.
You could advertise it with your asking price for maybe a month, see if anyone takes it knowing what needs to be done. If after a month you're still waiting...then make the choice.
92 Jeep Wrangler YJ
Jeep #18
Oklahoma

jamespero

Post by jamespero » July 28th, 2011, 9:51 pm

UPDATE: Rear frame repair parts ordered and found a guy to do the welding work. I'm hoping to have the frame sorted out before Sept. but that remains to be seen.
James Pero