James Pero's #09

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
jamespero

James Pero's #09

Post by jamespero » July 17th, 2011, 11:39 am

I decided I'd like to do #09 for the 95 Wrangler I just bought. It's got some rust that needs to be taken care of before I do anything else. As that's getting fixed I'll get photos and post them along with the rest of the build here. :)

Last edited by jamespero on July 17th, 2011, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Pero
1995 YJ Sahara, 4.0L 5spd

Railtech
Completed JP Jeep

Re: James Pero's #09

Post by Railtech » July 17th, 2011, 12:09 pm

Congrats on your purchase. That broken piece is just the panhard bar, many YJ owners I know actually remove the panhard bar and run it on the road that way. With a leaf sprung vehicle a panhard bar isn't as important as it is on a coil spring vehicle.

I'd probably purchase a new drivers side brakeline. I never liked those splicing but connectors on an important system like the brakes. My guess is when the panhard bar broke they broke that brake line too. Probably done off road when the the drivers side of the rear axle was drooped.
93 YJ Sahara/JP29 WIP

jamespero

Post by jamespero » July 17th, 2011, 12:25 pm

I actually had the break lines to the rear and the rear break cylinders replaced yesterday. I'm planning on removing the bar as well. The real problem is the shackle mounts on the rear. They're almost completely rusted out on both sides and one of the previous owners (i'm guessing a buy here pay here lot) fiberglassed over the rusted out portions of the rear frame and painted it to hide it to get a higher selling price. :/ I bought it from a private owner who I'm thinking bought it from a buy here pay here. Unfortunately I bought it As Is. :/

I've found the repair parts for the frame and someone to do the welding it's just a matter of getting the parts bought and scheduling the work at the point. But it's on its way.
James Pero

Railtech
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Railtech » July 17th, 2011, 1:03 pm

Had the same issue with mine, they kind of bubba'ed it with some steel diamond plate. The outside is solid, but looks pretty strange. I purchased the inner rear patch panels from a guy on jeepforum and will do the inside frame when I drop the tank to fix the gauge. Mine shows 1/2 when its empty. Glad the prior owner disclosed that :). I POR15'ed the entire frame from one end to the other. Should have no new issues going foward. On the inside of my rear frame there is a small hole maybe 1/2x3 inches on either side.

Quadratec sells a full replacement frame end that could be welded in. Would be a permanent solution, just a bit pricey and would require a good welder to install. Might require replacing the rear crossmember as well.
93 YJ Sahara/JP29 WIP

jamespero

Post by jamespero » July 17th, 2011, 5:16 pm

Railtech wrote:Had the same issue with mine, they kind of bubba'ed it with some steel diamond plate. The outside is solid, but looks pretty strange. I purchased the inner rear patch panels from a guy on jeepforum and will do the inside frame when I drop the tank to fix the gauge. Mine shows 1/2 when its empty. Glad the prior owner disclosed that :). I POR15'ed the entire frame from one end to the other. Should have no new issues going foward. On the inside of my rear frame there is a small hole maybe 1/2x3 inches on either side.

Quadratec sells a full replacement frame end that could be welded in. Would be a permanent solution, just a bit pricey and would require a good welder to install. Might require replacing the rear crossmember as well.
I'm planning on getting the rear shackle repair parts from Quadratec and the crossmember just to be safe.
James Pero

PaulRevere1991
Completed JP Jeep

Post by PaulRevere1991 » July 17th, 2011, 10:07 pm

congrats on your jeep,
looking at your half doors i noticed that you have tan pouches, did the previous owner replace them because they were grey stock with the tan interior, all you have to do is paint the panels green.
good luck

jamespero

Post by jamespero » July 17th, 2011, 10:46 pm

I don't really know a lot about where this Jeep came from. The people I bought it from bought it from a buy here pay here lot, then turned around a resold it, I'm guessing because of the rust on the frame. They neglected to tell me about it (if they knew about it). Thankfully I've found some frame repair parts and someone to weld them on. Just gotta get the parts now.

I'm thinking of just painting the panels and dash myself, just need to get appropriate color. My Jeep needs the hardware for the soft top too but I think I may have found a guy selling a bunch of 88 YJ parts for $650. He has the hardware and top for the soft top. I offered him $150 for just the top. I'll be heading over to look at it tomorrow evening. I hope it's in decent condition, because other wise I'll have to drop around $600 for the top and hardware. :/
James Pero

PaulRevere1991
Completed JP Jeep

Post by PaulRevere1991 » July 18th, 2011, 8:45 am

hardware is not worth 600 at all. you can buy new replacement hardware for 350, and a new replacement top for 350 i got my top and hardware for 150 used.

for the color on the panels and center console just use hunter green(satin finish) from sears or wherever, its nearly identical to stock, the dash is grey stock i don't know what you would use for that.

jamespero

Post by jamespero » July 18th, 2011, 9:07 am

PaulRevere1991 wrote:hardware is not worth 600 at all. you can buy new replacement hardware for 350, and a new replacement top for 350 i got my top and hardware for 150 used.
The $600 was for the whole setup, top and hardware. :)
James Pero

PaulRevere1991
Completed JP Jeep

Post by PaulRevere1991 » July 18th, 2011, 9:09 am

but again why would you pay 600 for both when you can get both new for 100 bucks more?