James Pero's #09

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
jamespero

Re: James Pero's #09

Post by jamespero » July 31st, 2011, 6:18 pm

A few days ago, I pulled the carpet and swept out the tub to get a better grasp on the amount of rust I was going to have to deal with in the tub. It looks like I'm going to have to replace the entire driver's side floor and under seat areas (They were previously patched up by a PO with fiberglass and there's some rust starting to come through again). The pivot brackets for the rear seat were coated with a surface rust.

Today while trying to remove the bolts holding them in place, three of them broke off at the head, they were pretty rusted away. Got the brackets out, took a steel wire brush to the brackets to clean them up as well as the floor where the were mounted, coated them and the floor area with a few layers of self etching primer and then painted the brackets with a few layers of black.

I would have taken photos of the events today, but I just wanted to get it done. :/
James Pero
1995 YJ Sahara, 4.0L 5spd

jamespero

Post by jamespero » August 2nd, 2011, 12:56 pm

Another update.

The frame repair parts arrived today from Quadratec. The driver and passenger side rear shackle frame and rear crossmember. Just have to wait for the guy who will be doing the welding to be available, which is looking like a couple of weeks from now. It's times like this that I wish I already knew how to weld. I'd just go rent a MIG welder and do it myself so I wouldn't have to wait.
James Pero

mydigitalvoid

Post by mydigitalvoid » August 2nd, 2011, 1:03 pm

Wish I could help you out (seeing that you're only a couple hours from me). I have a friend who does all my welding. I would really love to learn this craft!

jamespero

Post by jamespero » August 2nd, 2011, 1:34 pm

No worries, I already talked to a coworker of my dad's at the Nissan dealer in Brandon, FL, said he would do it for $100, I've got another guy who's a friend of a friend who said he would do it for the same but I've never met the guy. Even though the friend of a friend is closer, I'd rather go with someone I know. I've made the decision that after my vacation in Sept. and me and my gf get married I'll be spending a little money on learning how myself and getting some equipment. I've been wanting to weld for a long time now and now is the perfect time to learn since there's something I need it for.
James Pero

kbb0625

Post by kbb0625 » August 2nd, 2011, 9:12 pm

Its really rather simple once you get the hang of it. I'm not saying you'll be a pro overnight but after a few practice runs you should be able to handle welding something structural like that. It won't be the prettiest as a pro doing it. My suggestions are to just have someone that knows how to do it coach you through it the first couple of times and then practice on random scraps. Good luck!

jamespero

Post by jamespero » August 3rd, 2011, 9:21 am

kbb0625 wrote:Its really rather simple once you get the hang of it. I'm not saying you'll be a pro overnight but after a few practice runs you should be able to handle welding something structural like that. It won't be the prettiest as a pro doing it. My suggestions are to just have someone that knows how to do it coach you through it the first couple of times and then practice on random scraps. Good luck!
Sounds like a plan! Thanks!
James Pero

jamespero

Post by jamespero » August 3rd, 2011, 9:47 am

I forgot to mention, last week I also did some paint tests on the seat recline mechanism covers to see if I could get a good dark green color on them. I managed to get a nice green coat on them but it's a little brighter than I'd like. I may try to find another color paint that's slightly darker. I'll post up some photos later today.
James Pero

jamespero

Post by jamespero » August 7th, 2011, 8:28 pm

Pulled the door panels today, got the pouches pulled off (they were a little worse for wear). I'll be getting new ones made for the cost of the materials. Prepped the door panels and got one painted before the afternoon thunderstorms rolled in. While waiting for a coat to dry I went to look at the front bumper extenders and the foglight mounts and found that they were about to fall off. The metal mounting bracket they were attached too had rusted away and they were only being held on by a thin layer of adhesive. So... I pulled them off. I want to replace the front bumper anyway.
James Pero

jamespero

Post by jamespero » August 27th, 2011, 12:15 pm

UPDATE: Over the last few weeks I've done a little work on the Jeep. I managed to find soft top hardware, soft top (it's grey sun faded to white, I needed a top and didn't have a lot of money) and door uppers (black, again, didn't have much money) for $170. It has a few pulled seems and started developing a few small whole from being old and being sun bleached. Thursday, my sister brought her sewing machine and sewing kit over and patched up the top for me. Today I took the top outside and started painting it black to match the door uppers. I am using krylon vinyl paint (only because none of the store near me sold Duplicolor). I had two rattle cans and used them both on only the back half of the top before they ran out and before the daily summer thunderstorms rolled in. Looks like I'll need to pick up 3 more cans, but won't be able to get around to finishing it until monday after 5p at the earliest. So far, it's looking pretty good, and I"m hoping the vinyl paint will also help seal the stitching a little too.

A few weeks ago when I had the Jeep in the shop getting the break lines, clutch master and slave replaced, and fluids flushed and replaced we found that there may be leaking axel seals on the front axels; however, today I was under the Jeep looking to adjust the steering stops I notice that the "axel leak" had what seemed to be coolant dripping and not axel grease. I then turned my attention to finding the source of the coolant leak, and found that the water pump seems to be leaking. I have no idea when I'll be able to get it replaced. Money and time are not things I have an abundance of at the moment. :/

Also, I'm a little wary of my hood latches, they seems to be a little worse for wear, so I think I'll be ordering new ones today.
James Pero

cpltony
Completed JP Jeep

Post by cpltony » August 27th, 2011, 1:39 pm

In all honesty, that sucks....but best to find it out now than driving away from home and having to pull over.

The age of the Jeep being what it is, at least now you know its not going to fail on you ;)
92 Jeep Wrangler YJ
Jeep #18
Oklahoma