JP 13 TJ - We Will Rebuild

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Skooch

JP 13 TJ - We Will Rebuild

Post by Skooch » May 14th, 2016, 12:41 am

491.jpg
You may have heard that California is experiencing a drought, but it wasn't on Bald Mountain up above Shaver Lake the day after the above picture was taken. Our caravan was out enjoying a beautiful day in October toward the end of the wheeling season, when all of a sudden the heaven's ripped open and every angel ever to be admitted began to cry. And piss. And turn on every faucet and hose they have up there to let it rain down upon us. The first rain of the season tends to make that granite slick, and even BFG KM2's have a hard time grabbing granite that slick... BAM! was all I heard/felt before the caravan descending upon me to right my ship. They worked as fast as they could, as if returning all four wheels to the ground faster would somehow prevent the damage like some large scale...expensive...five second rule. This event was the "tipping point", literally and figuratively that finally led to the fulfillment of a childhood dream. After all, if I'm going to spend some money on body work and paint, why not do something cool?

Since its original purchase, the Jeep has received many functional upgrades; 8.8 axle in the back, HP dana 30 in the front, Undercover Fab Ultra-High Clearance Skid, 4.88 gears, rear OX locker, front locker, etc., etc., but never anything cosmetic. I'd been lurking on this forum for awhile, as it's always been a dream, so I had just enough info to be dangerous. Sand Beige Metallic and Ford Performance Red were my chosen colors, and EdynB so graciously posted an image with all the line measurements/angles for a TJ in the paint section, along with vendors to purchase the logos and stencils from. I had all the info I needed, and most importantly, a best buddy who happens to be a manager at an auto body shop. You've read enough text. Feast your eyes:
20160226_231230.jpg
First thing we did was tear it down and Herculine the interior, because why not?
318.jpg
Here it is torn down prior to sanding. We fit the CCFabs hoodline fenders, then removed them for undercoating.
326.jpg
Also put some undercoating on the inner fenders as well, after the plastic was removed.
342.jpg
Then we sanded and painted the roll bars. We just had to get a taste of the paint prior to finishing up that particular weekend.
442.jpg
Then came a whirlwind of sanding, fitting parts, then finally PAINT. Prep work takes a long time, and it feels like you're getting no where, but once that first coat of paint licks that metal, it's all worth it.
456.jpg
Once the beige dried, we made all the measurements using a protractor and painter's tape. We also laid all the stencils. We chose to let the bare metal show through on the fenders and the hood. We took a few artistic liberties because, after all, it's a TJ, not a YJ.
457.jpg
We installed a hood louver to let the engine compartment breathe while the AC is running at low speed crawl. It's a cushy, coil spring TJ... come on! We also wanted to show off that aluminum. Might have someone pinstripe the outline in the same red later on...
507.jpg
We also installed some GenRight Tall Tub Guard Panels on each side. Also in aluminum, these will hopefully minimize damage if similar events occur. They're pretty thick, and grinding out a slot for the lower door hinges was rough.
485.jpg
Probably the most gratifying part of this entire project was putting those logos on the doors. Those half doors with the JP logo make the whole thing. We also installed some Rugged Ridge Light Bar Mounts, and a $60 52" light bar from Amazon that works pretty darn good. Pictured there is JD, the master bodywork/painter. You can hardly tell any damage occurred even if you know where to look!
523.jpg
Spared no expense.
521.jpg
And here is the finished product, although we all know that there is no such thing as a "finished" Jeep:
540.jpg
I think it's safe to say that this is the only JP Jeep in Corcoran, CA. I haven't seen one in Fresno either, where all the work was done at JD's Autobody.
-Herculined the entire bed of the Jeep.
-Removed all body damage
-Installed CCFabs Hoodline Fenders. This also included the installation of front amber LED turn signal lights.
-Installed GenRight Tall Tub Panel Guards
-Installed Smittybilt Spice Extended Brief Top
-Performed Jurassic Park Jeep Paint Job per EdynB's measurements/angles using Sand Beige Metallic (1992 Jeep Wrangler) and Ford Performance Red (1992 Ford Explorer). This included the use of reducer, hardener, and various miscellaneous supplies. Also used Hare's Den (AKA Decal Nerds) for the number stencils and Decal Hunterz for the JP Logos on the doors, all from Etsy. Prompt and great customer service from both.
-Installed Rugged Ridge LED Light Bar Mounts, along with 52" LED light bar.

Everything on that list took A LOT of prep work. It really helps if you're doing it with a friend so the journey is enjoyable because it's A LOT of work. Four years ago JD and I talked about getting Jeeps and turning them into JP Jeeps. Shortly after we both purchased Jeeps. We finally did it to mine, and I don't think this will be the last one we do...

And remember, other than the hard parts, it's easy.
Attachments
461.jpg
513.jpg

halowarmor

Re: JP 13 TJ - We Will Rebuild

Post by halowarmor » May 15th, 2016, 10:16 am

Wow! This rig looks awesome! I especially like the fact that it is ready to do some decent Rockcrawling! It gives me hope fo my 06 LJ Rubicon "Dino Search And Recovery" theamed project! However I'm thinking of using Olive Drab paint/decals for all the standard red ones.

Skooch

Post by Skooch » May 16th, 2016, 11:58 pm

I don't know if you're familiar with the area, but we've got some pretty decent rock crawling in the Sierra Nevada's up above Fresno. Gotta be equipped!

I also contemplated doing the whole thing OD, but knew I'd always regret not decking it out in full JP regalia. I never thought about doing the stripes/decals OD. That'd probably look pretty cool. I also like that "Tank" green JK color.

Killerix

Post by Killerix » June 16th, 2016, 1:43 am

When I find a story that's groping you offer.

TK3100

Post by TK3100 » June 17th, 2016, 8:17 am

VERY COOL!