Jeep 20 - A TJ Build

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Mastodon

Jeep 20 - A TJ Build

Post by Mastodon » October 1st, 2016, 2:11 pm

Finished re-assembling the jeep this morning. All-in-all, I like it. There's some paint issues. By spraying with less paint, the paint has a sandpapery feel to it. Every time I had tried to sand it down, I'd damage the sand beige coloring. And, every time I came back to respray after some paint had dried, the air from the gun would blow up dried paint from my mask, which would inevitably get into the paint.

There was also some unevenness in the paint, that only appeared at certain angles.

Then there was some bleedthrough with some of the stencils. Not sure how it happened, since they were flush when I started. But maybe they got too wet and warped a little. There was some bubbling after I finished painting

None of this is stuff that can't be fixed, but I was getting into an issue where I kept having to fix mistakes from fixing previous mistakes.

Still, for my first time painting a vehicle, I'm happy with it. Enough to declare this "Park Rated"

At the very least, it was finished in time to drive to the car show, "Cruisin Keesler". This is a precursor to Biloxi's 3000+ car "Cruisin the Coast" show later in the week. It's not every day you see a JP Jeep next to a 1929 Model A and a Corvette Stingray

In this environment, a lot of adults are unimpressed. After all, it's just a 12 year old Jeep with a mediocre paint job and some stickers. But the kids love it! Some would screen "Jurassic Park!!" as they came running over to it. One kid's jaw dropped when his mom pointed at the door crest "It's from the movie!!" Seeing the smiles it brings to others is enough to make me forget about all of the flaws.

Mastodon

Jeep 20 - A TJ Build

Post by Mastodon » October 4th, 2016, 8:37 pm