Dave's JP Jeep #29

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Railtech
Completed JP Jeep

Dave's JP Jeep #29

Post by Railtech » September 15th, 2010, 10:12 am

Guys,
Finally found one in NC and went up and retrieved it yesterday.

93 Sahara
Auto
133k miles

Got some minor rust work on the frame to work with among some leaks that I need to fix. Runs and drives great, interior is in pretty good shape. The A/C even works well. I will probably put my other Sahara seats in this Jeep at some point. Have not decided on a number will probably be an 14 or 29. Paint is good, should just need the red stripes to be good to go. I recall that AJ Quick did some repairs on his already. Mine needs an inner patch although not as long as his was. They fixed the outside frame but I need to drop the tank to do the inner frame. I am a pretty fair welder so this should go pretty well.

Need to find some OE wheels somewhere. Sad thing is I had a full set about 2 years ago I bought for $50... Doh!

Last edited by Railtech on January 27th, 2011, 8:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.
93 YJ Sahara/JP29 WIP

dan85

Re: Dave's JP Jeep

Post by dan85 » September 15th, 2010, 11:01 am

nice find
1994 Jeep Wrangler

AJ Quick
Site Moderator

Post by AJ Quick » September 15th, 2010, 12:03 pm

Looks like there is virtually no rust.

A good Jeep to start with! How much did you pay?

I just got done with my rust repair on the frame, it goes pretty quick once the gas tank is out of the way.
1971 Volkwagen Beetle - 1993 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 1998 Dodge Neon R/T
http://www.GBFans.com/ - http://www.JurassicJeep.com/

Railtech
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Railtech » September 15th, 2010, 12:42 pm

That is the strangest thing with this Jeep. I looked at about 10-15 and if there was rust on the frame there was rust on the body.... There is not one spot anywhere on the body or pans. Just some rot on the inner frame rails near the tank. There appears to be a little down on the front near where the panhard bar ties to the frame. I will POR15 and keep an eye on that one too. It appears as if it was undercoated when it was new that may have kept the frame in a little better shape. The oilpan leaks like a sieve, that is priority one, I cant recall if these are rubber or cork gaskets. I'll find out though, there is no leaking from the pan but the valve cover leak coats the tranny and TC.

He wanted $4900 we negotiated after I showed him the rust and other leaks he was oblivious about. Ended up doing $4400 which I think was fair for what it was. If I had purchased a non-sahara I bet by the time I had it Sahara'ed up I would have more than 4400 in it. And would save $ not having to shoot a basecoat or inside outside panels. My Tacoma drug it back on a uhaul trailer like a champ.

It did pass GA emissions just fine today, NOX was a little high but within tolerances.
93 YJ Sahara/JP29 WIP

DanteUrban

Post by DanteUrban » September 15th, 2010, 5:15 pm

Well demoran, it looks like you can finally change your sig. Congrats!
03 Mach 1

sahara93
Completed JP Jeep

Post by sahara93 » September 15th, 2010, 8:53 pm

thats a fine looking jeep you've got there

paleofrank

Post by paleofrank » September 16th, 2010, 7:57 am

How much did you pay for your Jeep if you don't mind? I have a similar one, except green, down here in Mississippi at a dealership I want.

Railtech
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Railtech » September 16th, 2010, 12:07 pm

Frank,
I ended up giving $4400 for mine. Might be about right where one in its condition should land. I have some light mechanicals and some rust to deal with so I thought that was fair. One without rust or any mechanicals should command a bit more maybe 5-5500. 6K is probably a fair dealer price depending.

Go over yours pretty intently, if you aren't sure get a motor-head buddy to come with you. These are nearly 20 year old vehicles :).
93 YJ Sahara/JP29 WIP

Railtech
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Railtech » September 19th, 2010, 4:59 pm

Made some baby steps this weekend. Fixed the valve cover gasket, the bolts were pretty loose and the cork was petrified. Discovered that my exhaust manifold is pretty cracked up. It looks to be the same style as the one I had in my TJ that I replaced twice :). Down by the collector there are many broken welds. Pretty easy fix, just another thing to work on. There is a tranny leak somewhere, need to determine source. I suspect the rear seal.... Nothing earth shattering though.

There was a bit of rigging done where the throttle and kickdown cables cross the valve cover. Can someone take a pic for me what it should look like?

I think I have located a set of proper wheels with good stock tires for $100 then I can sell the ones on mine.

Hope to do my rear frame plates and POR15 suspect parts of the frame next weekend.
93 YJ Sahara/JP29 WIP

Railtech
Completed JP Jeep

Re: Dave's JP Jeep #14

Post by Railtech » September 26th, 2010, 12:42 pm

My PCV/CCV system was pretty bubba'ed up and caused some pretty good vacuum leaks. I sourced some new hoses from elbows to manifold and elbows to airbox on ebay for $22.
Much better now and no vaccum leaks:

If anyone needs the rear CCV hose from the elbow to intake they sent me two. If another JP jeep need them I'll sell for shipping only.

Spent some quality time with my needle scaler on the frame. The needle scaler made short work of the frame peeling and rust bubbles. Then after that I POR15'ed the frame where I could reach. When I pull the wheels off I will get the shock towers. Rust wasn't as bad as first thought once I got all the peeling undercoating off:
Much nicer now:
The bracket that holds the kickdown cables and throttle was broken off the valve cover. A little bit of JB Weld got that reattached and now things are not binding and are secure:

Fixed the tranny pan leak, so it won't be bleeding on the garage floor now :).

I will go see my a friend with a lift so I can knock out any other surface rust and POR15 the rest of the frame.
93 YJ Sahara/JP29 WIP