Dave's JP Jeep #29

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
spike42718

Re: Dave's JP Jeep #14 or TBD

Post by spike42718 » December 9th, 2010, 2:21 am

hell yeah man. too bad though, i was really wanting those seats
Go ahead, make fun of my JP jeep. Then all of a sudden a T-rex comes out of nowhere!!!!!!!!............The jeep only sets 4, who's laughing now?

Railtech
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Railtech » December 17th, 2010, 9:20 pm

Just wanted to thank Cyrix for meeting me during my trip to Orlando with the Family. He has one sharp JP Jeep. I only hope mine turns out as well. No real other progress, I did hit a setback on paint. My shop that I had done some side work with the owner moved to NY so I don't have a source to shoot my red and re-clear. I am going to have to check around and see if I can find another mom and pop shop that doesn't mind small filler work. I don't trust my hand with shooting anything other than primer. I took some good shots of Cyrix' for reference that should be helpful and there are some small bits that I have that he could use on his JP jeep so we might be able to horse trade on some little stuff.

I got another line on 4 OEM wheels in North GA. Going to try and get those next week if everything works out. I needed 2 more so I might have some spare wheels laying around shortly.

I do need to finish the work on the bar, POR15 and fill in any significant pitting. But that is a piece of cake.
93 YJ Sahara/JP29 WIP

rbaile28

Post by rbaile28 » January 23rd, 2011, 4:38 pm

Looking really good man, any updates? I live in Marietta and would love to come check it out some time.

Thinking about starting my own project as soon as I can save up enough to get a good starting platform. Any thoughts on good sources around metro Atlanta for auctions or junkyards?

Railtech
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Railtech » January 23rd, 2011, 6:18 pm

Thanks for the compliment. No real updates, I did get my antenna and mount. Still working on finding a painter. I think I have everything else sourced or on hand. I did POR15 the light bar and have put about 8 coats of primer just need to finish sand and final paint. I did find a few spare wheels on craigslist so I don't have to use 2 of the beat up ones I had.

I have been traveling a lot for work so progress has been slow. To be honest I had my best luck with craigslist. Over the course of the term I was looking that was the best place for me. If you want to find a tan one you should be prepared to travel or ship. Mine came out of NC so I towed it home.

I am trying to figure out whether to satin clear the entire jeep over the stripe or not to. My major setback was that my painter moved back home unexpectedly. But I really don't want to have to paint it when it is so cold. But I'll get it done soon. This is quite expensive to pay a shop, I am 1/2 tempted to setup a booth at home and shoot it myself once it warms up. That remains my backup plan.
93 YJ Sahara/JP29 WIP

Railtech
Completed JP Jeep

Re: Dave's JP Jeep #29

Post by Railtech » January 28th, 2011, 1:31 pm

Got my antenna base mounted today, finishing up the final touches on the light bar.

I did get some Chinese off ebay LED H3's for my rear marker lights. Might be able to use with the factory marker circuit since the amp draw is tiny.
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (79.15 KiB) Viewed 12457 times
93 YJ Sahara/JP29 WIP

Railtech
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Railtech » February 1st, 2011, 2:06 pm

Had a hang tag made by easyidcard.com, I was going to print and laminate but went this route. I think it was about $17 shipped. But it is printed on a hard ID like card and on both sides with logo and number. I made it online on Sunday and showed up here today. Quick turnaround for sure one of the guys on JP Legacy was making ID cards from them and I wanted to try the hangtag.

I took the graphic from Cyrix's page and modified it in photoshop to fit the card with no distortions.

Turned out nice:
photo.JPG
93 YJ Sahara/JP29 WIP

Railtech
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Railtech » February 22nd, 2011, 5:14 pm

Well, at least it looks more like a JP Jeep from the rear now. Mounted the tire I found on craigslist and DA sanded and painted/clearcoated the wheel. Turned out pretty nice.

That is cpltony's sign on the wall in the background.
photo.JPG
93 YJ Sahara/JP29 WIP

cpltony
Completed JP Jeep

Post by cpltony » February 22nd, 2011, 6:21 pm

It's awesome seeing the signs in so many Jeep garages!!
Makes me wish I had two.....may nab one from the eBay guy.

Jeep is coming along really well.....you must be very proud.
92 Jeep Wrangler YJ
Jeep #18
Oklahoma

spike42718

Post by spike42718 » February 23rd, 2011, 4:25 am

Awesome. That tag turned out nice.
Go ahead, make fun of my JP jeep. Then all of a sudden a T-rex comes out of nowhere!!!!!!!!............The jeep only sets 4, who's laughing now?

Railtech
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Railtech » February 23rd, 2011, 7:28 pm

Finally finished the lightbar restoration, and fitted the antenna. Not 100% satisfied with the security of the antenna, may need a little more thought. I may go Cyrix' route with using the door moulding screws to secure it. His looked very secure comparatively.
lightbar.jpg
antenna.jpg
93 YJ Sahara/JP29 WIP