Jeep #25

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Doolittle
Completed JP Jeep

Jeep #25

Post by Doolittle » August 19th, 2010, 10:09 pm

I've owned my '95 since '06 and it was my daily driver/trail rig until about a year ago when I bought a Civic. Since then it's been driven just on trails or anywhere else for fun. In that time I've had to replace nearly everything motor and body-wise (from stuff wearing out and pretty nasty wrecks). I've been intending to get the major damage to the body fixed as well as repainting it and I thought making it a JP Jeep would be the perfect paint job (I'm a huge movie fan/Jurassic Park fan). I know a guy who owns a body shop so I've been fortunate in having him paint mine because I did not have the time (or skills) for the work mine needed. There was a lot more physical damage than I have photos of.

Some of the damage to my fender.
A scratch down the length of the hood as well as a dent.
That's me to the left. Since I bought it I've had pink and green dinosaur erasers glued to the dash which you can kind of see.
Took off all the chrome. I plan on selling that on ebay or craigslist since I've got no use for it and all the Jeep owners I know have TJ's.
Damage to the other fender.
This is worse than the photo depicts. I bought it with that dent and am glad to get it fixed because the passenger door has been extremely difficult to close (and it's not due to the latches).
The floorboard had some bad rust.
These were about as close to the film lights as I could afford. They've been fitted with guards custom made from aluminum but I don't have a picture of those.
Hold onto your butts.

Doolittle
Completed JP Jeep

Re: Jeep #25

Post by Doolittle » August 19th, 2010, 11:03 pm

What a mess under the windshield.
Where the body had buckled.
The body on the left side of the Jeep had been pushed forward about 3/4 of an inch the length of the vehicle.
I chose Rhinoliner instead of new carpeting. For what my Jeep is subject to, it's better.
#25 is just my favorite number. The way I saw it, it wasn't going to be completely film accurate anyway (starting with the fact that it's the wrong year) so I didn't see the importance in using a number from the film. Besides, most people won't catch on.
Hold onto your butts.

afmorton

Post by afmorton » August 20th, 2010, 7:37 am

very nice! I like the green rhino liner, is that something your body shop friend got?

Railtech
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Railtech » August 20th, 2010, 10:08 am

That looks great, can't wait to see the post painting pictures. Looks like he did a very professional job!
93 YJ Sahara/JP29 WIP

Ronnyboy

Post by Ronnyboy » August 20th, 2010, 2:30 pm

Wow, that looks amazing, but most cost a fortune, great Jeep though.

Ammonites

Post by Ammonites » August 20th, 2010, 4:35 pm

Very nice! Looking good, can't wait to get started on mine!

redninja223

Post by redninja223 » August 20th, 2010, 9:37 pm

very nice, i hope you sanded the rust off the floors well before the liner

Doolittle
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Doolittle » August 21st, 2010, 12:08 am

afmorton wrote:very nice! I like the green rhino liner, is that something your body shop friend got?
I asked him about it, apparently he did the rhinoliner and used a huntergreen automobile paint on top of that. I'm happy, it turned out looking better than the product did by itself. He did it that way because it's representing his company and didn't want to look like he did bad business. Since he did that without my asking he didn't charge extra.

Ronnyboy wrote:Wow, that looks amazing, but most cost a fortune, great Jeep though.
I got extremely lucky. With him being a friend of my dad's I got a rare deal on the price but I've also helped do a lot of prep to keep costs down too. As any of us know though, even the basic conversion is still a small fortune but I appreciate a break where I can get it!

rednina223 wrote:very nice, i hope you sanded the rust off the floors well before the liner
Definitely! Had to put in some filler material too because there were holes that shouldn't be there. I bought it with a lot of physical damage and am glad to finally get it fixed before it gets too severe.

I really cannot wait to get this finished, I miss driving it so freakin' bad.
Hold onto your butts.

rocrunner

Post by rocrunner » September 10th, 2010, 10:15 am

Any updates?

Doolittle
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Doolittle » September 14th, 2010, 6:56 pm

The numbers on the side were hand painted, he felt the decals looked too bad to put on the vehicle as a representation of his company. I prefer this way because the numbers on the decals were an incorrect color. Ha, my tattoo is reflected below the 2!
This was a surprise for me that he and my dad agreed on. he actually removed the "ee" and did so well you can't tell they were ever there. However, the woman who did the decals for him made them different than he wanted.
Just amazing, that's my Dad's Wrangler in the background. I've now got the nicer Jeep. The wheels are still needing to be sandblasted and painted, these are the set I've been using for the last few years. My old factory set are the ones he's painting.
That large dent is gone and he repaired the crushed side step.
Bought a CJ tailgate since the top of mine had been hammered down (to make the hardtop fit, evidently). The left side of the rear end was so badly damaged that when he repaired it, he accidentally covered all the holes for the taillight!
The vinyl pockets were custom made by an upholsterer who is currently finishing the seats. The tabs are different than the film ones but I'm still very happy.
I had black door panels which were painted with the same green that was applied to the top of the rhino liner, that way they match.
He painted the interior of the doors, you can't even tell this Jeep used to be black.
This was broken in a wreck 3 years ago. Any suggestions for fixing it or should I just buy a whole new panel?
This fender flare was gouged, chipped, scratched, etc pretty badly. It's still not as round as brand new fender flares but you can't tell it was ever damaged. I'm sure the people on this site are the only ones who will notice, the other Jeep owners I know haven't even caught it yet :)
Ha, there's my daily driver. This Jeep makes me never want to touch that car again.
The lights. I bought a set of marine lights that looked similar to the Jabsco ones and my Dad rigged up some guards and brackets out of aluminum. It looks crooked here because of the way I was holding it, I was trying to not scratch the paint. These aren't motorized and are shallower than the Jabsco ones.
These are the foglights for the rear that I'm gonna put on top of the taillights. They're yellow and chrome but we're gonna paint them black.
The door uppers. I'm just going to be using them for frames when I get a new soft top.

Lots of things left! Need to change out the wheels, rollbar padding, soft top, bumper, winch, seats, sun visors and dashboard. I've already got a CB radio and antennae, just need to install it. Gotta put the turn signals and stuff back on too.
Hold onto your butts.