Starting up JP15 in Washington

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Chase65

Re: Starting up JP15 in Washington

Post by Chase65 » March 1st, 2016, 2:41 pm

Wow the seats look amazing!
1993 YJ Sahara
1994 Explorer Limited
2004 Mercedes ML350

xennocide

Post by xennocide » March 10th, 2016, 6:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback.
I've been out with a cold the past week and didn't get any work done. I am prepping to replace the dash wiring harness next week. If everything goes week and the Jeep is functioning right, I'll start shopping around for a auto paint shop.
A small but AWESOME update. I found a parts shop in California that claimed to have a OEM Sahara driver side door panel. I bought it and was amazed by the condition it arrived in. I had time this morning before work to swap it out and take some pictures next to my current door panel. The pics below show it below the existing panel which started off gray and has been painted Hunt Club Green which is a few shades lighter. There is also a good comparison between the OEM pouches and Project VICs

jhpeyton

Post by jhpeyton » March 10th, 2016, 8:05 pm

wow is a pristine Sahara door, nice find
My Current JP29 Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2872

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » March 12th, 2016, 8:54 am

those are very nice door cards. interesting OEM color change. You can spray die them, but getting the right color is the problem. I had some paint mixed up that matched but my paint wont stick along the top surface where my elbow sits. Lots of variables on why but my passenger door still looks good. here is what i used but i had flat added and it needs to be gloss or maybe satin finish paint. Everything is holding up really well except that one top surface. I used this paint on the center console as well
Attachments
paint.JPG
paint.JPG (195.99 KiB) Viewed 11521 times
I am John Sisemore on Facebook

xennocide

Post by xennocide » March 30th, 2016, 5:45 pm

Small update,
I had to put the project on hold as I found out my job is moving out of state during the summer. I am pretty much ready to either find a paint shop or I'm starting to think about doing it myself. Finishing this up will be a reward for landing a new job :D

xennocide

Post by xennocide » April 18th, 2016, 8:43 pm

It's been hard to try putting this project on hold especially with the weather so nice. I've mentioned that I've been a bit leery on the PO's wiring connections and went as far as picking up an unmolested dash wiring harness on ebay awhile ago. With the wife out with friends over the weekend and no pending obligations, I tore into it. Let me give you an example of what I'm dealing with:

Here is a splice off the driver's courtesy light. Notice the expert craftsman ship of the double knott braid. *sigh*

3 hours of removing stuck bolts, matching and labeling each dash connection, and a trip to O'Reilly's to borrow a steering wheel puller and wala.

I took the time to vacuum all the nooks I could get to and wipe down all the surfaces. The reinstall of the new harness went surprisingly well and I had everything put back together within 90 minutes. I also swapped out the dash instrument lights with red LEDs and plugged in the new (stock) radio.

Replacing the harness fixed a few problems right away.
1. Turning on the dome light does not pop the the fuse which I learned also controls the ECU
2. The speakers work but I think there is still a short in the pax front or it might be dying as the sound is much softer from it
3. The instrument panel now lights up correctly (there was previously a spliced jumper that I think was shorting out the panel lights.
4. The risk of fire has gone down.

Next up:
Half the Soft/Hard top windshield screw holes are stripped out so I'll be inserting threaded rivets
Refinish the Ramsey 8k winch and figure out where I'm going to remote the solenoid
Once I order the paint, I will begin the final dis-assembly and prep the jeep to paint.

dwkane

Post by dwkane » April 18th, 2016, 10:04 pm

Oh, you decided to do the paint yourself rather than finding a shop? What changed your mind? Also, I swapped out my instrument lights for LEDs too, but they are very faint with everything put together. Can you post a link to the bulbs you used?

xennocide

Post by xennocide » April 18th, 2016, 10:28 pm

Ya, I more recently decided I'd like to do the paint job myself since I've tackled pretty much everything else. Cost savings + Enjoyment of work + if I screw something up I only have 1 person to point the finger at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111251141807?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
Those are the lights I am using. Cheap but plenty bright. Are all yours lighting up?

dwkane

Post by dwkane » April 19th, 2016, 1:49 pm

A couple flicker because of dirty contacts most likely. But I will check that link out.

dwkane

Post by dwkane » April 19th, 2016, 4:25 pm

xennocide wrote:Ya, I more recently decided I'd like to do the paint job myself since I've tackled pretty much everything else.
Well, if it works out, maybe I could pay you to do mine. :)