Starting up JP15 in Washington

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
xennocide

Re: Starting up JP15 in Washington

Post by xennocide » April 20th, 2016, 5:37 pm

dwkane wrote:
xennocide wrote:Ya, I more recently decided I'd like to do the paint job myself since I've tackled pretty much everything else.
Well, if it works out, maybe I could pay you to do mine. :)
Wait until I have a finished product and we can talk :D

xennocide

Post by xennocide » April 24th, 2016, 3:46 pm

Weekend update:
#1. Found a great condition full sahara door on CL for $200. I forgot to take pics before tearing it down to inspect it but everything on it looks good. Removed a stuck bolt and the pin striping.
-Helpful tip: A heat gun has been hands down one of the best tools I've used to work on the jeep. Between pb blaster and some heat, any of the stuck or stripped out screws have come out without needing to retap any holes or weld nuts on.
#2. Drilled out and added threaded rivets along the windshield channel for both the soft and hard tops plus I went ahead and did it for the sun visor brackets while I was there. Turned out looking great and should get covered by the final paint.

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » April 29th, 2016, 9:06 pm

rivnuts are the way to go. I have been keeping a eye on the little factory screws on mine and its just a matter of time before they let go.
I am John Sisemore on Facebook

xennocide

Post by xennocide » May 15th, 2016, 4:12 pm

Back on track!
I got a job lined up and getting a few extra days off work so JP15 is going forward at full speed!
currently the jeep is fully broken down and I will be sanding all day tomorrow.
I opted to order paint from this company http://www.paintscratch.com/
They seem to be the most reasonable for price and shipping.

marscreature
Completed JP Jeep

Post by marscreature » May 24th, 2016, 3:52 pm

[quote="xennocide"]" ... The material is #5044 Jeep Wrangler Trail Cloth..."

Where did you buy it from?
1994 Wrangler Sahara - JP28 in Michigan

xennocide

Post by xennocide » June 2nd, 2016, 2:58 pm

marscreature wrote:
xennocide wrote:" ... The material is #5044 Jeep Wrangler Trail Cloth..."

Where did you buy it from?
www.originalauto.com

xennocide

Post by xennocide » June 2nd, 2016, 3:17 pm

Sorry I haven't had a chance to jump on lately and update this thread but the project is still going full speed ahead.
This is a snap shot while sanding down the original black finish and was quite labor intensive.

Only a small area of rust under the front right flare needed some love.

I opted to remove the roll cage and get at some rust spots that were evident on the brackets. Fortunately they were only on the surface and not eating into the metal. I primed the whole jeep and started to run out of the primer so there are some areas that were removed and waiting to finish slightly later. (also primer pics are on my camera card so I'll have to come back and add them later.

Yesterday finished sanding down the primer and I just applied the first 1-2 coats of LJ1. The finish is looks excellent and its really starting to have the Jurassic Park glow! There are some areas that are a little uneven from my prep sanding but these will just add to its character.

I have a 3 day weekend before moving to my new job and the plan is to finish the Sand Beige on Friday, and then reattach the flares and side steps and set up the areas to do the red stripes on Saturday. Its going to be an exciting weekend!

Bryan

Post by Bryan » June 2nd, 2016, 4:04 pm

Looking good. I'm pretty much at the same stage as you - are you going to paint the red stripes with the flares attached? I don't know whether to attach them and paint them or mark them up and paint them off the Jeep.

Are you using masks for the side numbers or vinyls?

xennocide

Post by xennocide » June 2nd, 2016, 4:24 pm

I am going to mount the flares and tape across them. I think this will give the the best result and then put the clear coat on with them still attached. I don't think fading or protecting the finish is a big issue for areas that are hidden. I did buy a laser level you can adjust for degrees to make sure the lines are correct. http://www.amazon.com/Tools-Compact-Mul ... ge_o01_s03.
I am a bit concerned how the paint is going to hold up on the flares/side steps even with using an adhesion promoter. I guess time will tell.
I have Jack's vinyl kit for the numbers and decals, great pack.

xennocide

Post by xennocide » June 11th, 2017, 1:22 pm

Well I realize it has been just over a year since I updated this build thread but Life, Career changes, Kids, Chaos have a way of evolving priorities. One thing that was not lost, was my commitment to finishing this project and helping this community. I plan to add additional breakdowns to this build and add more content as I make improvements here and there.
This is what JP15 looked like last week.

Getting her stripes

About to come out of the garage after painting