JP jeep in MD

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
First5.0

JP jeep in MD

Post by First5.0 » September 8th, 2015, 2:02 pm

I figured I'd get a thread up for my jeep.

It's a 1995 Sahara.

I bought the Jeep sight unseen off of ebay. It was a risk but the pictures combined with the low(ish) miles made it easier to take that risk. I had spent countless hours searching for Saharas in my area. Despite this being a 1995 (which means the wrong color interior) the upside was that it was less likely to have frame rust since 95 was when they started to protect the frame with 'undercoating.' It had 109k miles which is relatively low for a YJ. It was very common to find YJs with 150k and up.

Here was one of the pics in the ebay ad:

I noticed the gasket between the fender and body so I asked the seller if it had been in a wreck and painted. He assured me it was stock and had never been wrecked / painted. My gut told me he was bs-ing me and I'd later confirm that.

When I got it home I could tell the fenders were painted. Bah. Fortunately the jeep was very sound. No major rust issues. Most of everything that needed to be there was there.

Prior to purchasing the jeep I had already acquired a light bar and KC Hilites.

Within a week of owning the jeep I picked up a set of Goodyear Duratracs out in the sticks. On the way home I blew a tire. This happened to be on the coldest night of the winter + my phone died + I had no phone charger + I came to find out that there was no jack. There were only a few houses around me so I picked one that had some lights on and fortunately it was a younger couple who helped call me a tow. The tow truck had an impact wrench and was able to get the blown tire off and put a spare on. That was an adventure!

Come spring time I removed the ugly gaskets, removed the pinstriping, and then removed the sahara logos. That's when I noticed they sprayed the fenders and part of the body but never removed the sahara logos. So underneath the logos was the stock color.

I could tell the fenders were painted but I figured I could get away with rattle-canning the red stripes on and the stripes would keep the two tan colors being noticeably different. Unfortunately the sahara logo kept me from being able to do that since they never sprayed that area.

I procrastinated and built an East Dock Sign:

As time went on I began researching how to build a DIY paint booth and what tools would be needed to paint it myself. The problem is I don't have a lot of free time to do everything so I held off on committing to one thing or another. Come summer time I found Jack Fauth (jack@no-limitcustoms.com) here on the forums when he posted his ad for JP Conversion Services. viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2653

We met up to discuss my project at which point I was quickly sold. Here's his JP jeep next to mine (notice the color difference between Sand Beige Poly vs Light Pearlstone Metallic:

At that point Jack worked his magic! Below are some progress pics that he sent to me.

We went with Ford Performance Red rather than Radiant Fire Red. Radiant Fire is more 'maroon' where Performance Red is more 'orange.'

Tags getting ready...

And here's the final product!

The red is crazy. In person it's almost orange. But in the pics above they look more maroon. It's kind of crazy but I'm looking at it from my window right now and the red in the pictures look completely different!

BOTTOM LINE - IT'S AWESOME!!!!
Last edited by First5.0 on September 26th, 2015, 11:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Re: JP jeep in MD

Post by ratrace427 » September 20th, 2015, 7:40 pm

very good start
I am John Sisemore on Facebook

First5.0

Post by First5.0 » September 26th, 2015, 11:07 am

Updated above!

Scrambler_CJ8

Post by Scrambler_CJ8 » September 27th, 2015, 1:10 am

This is excellent!! Can't wait to have Jack take a look at my jeep : D

Jurassic Vic
Site Administrator
Vehicle Make/Model: 93 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Facebook Profile URL: https://www.facebook.com/vicjurassic
Instagram: Jurassic_vic

Post by Jurassic Vic » September 28th, 2015, 10:37 pm

That red looks pretty good. Number looks a little strange but over all looks great
A new era. join the Jurassic Auto Group facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/jurassicautogroup

FOLLOW THE VLOG AND PODCAST
https://linktr.ee/jurassic_vic

Jurassic Park Jeep commissions message me!

Tmorr325

Post by Tmorr325 » October 7th, 2015, 6:50 pm

Looks awesome. I saw your Jeep in person when I was at Jacks picking up my decals/stencils. He does amazing work. I have the ability and shop space to do mine, or I would have had him do it. I just used his stencil last night and it came out great. Anyway, congrats on the awesome Jeep.

chanmac24

Post by chanmac24 » May 25th, 2018, 9:09 am

Awesome conversion!! How'd you convert the doors?? I'm about to pick up a 95 Sahara, but the doors are the wrong style (like your first picture), but your finished conversion has the correct doors? Hope you can help, thank you!
-Chandler

First5.0

Post by First5.0 » May 25th, 2018, 9:53 am

Hey Chandler.

You just need to find a set of half doors from a Sahara. I sold my full doors which more than paid for the half doors I ended up finding. At one point someone on here was selling the pouches on the inside of the doors so if they are still selling them you could get a set of those and then a set of half doors from a non-sahara

chanmac24

Post by chanmac24 » May 29th, 2018, 9:14 am

Thanks! I really appreciate it!