Jeep Comanche- Park maintenance build

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
RustyRodder

Jeep Comanche- Park maintenance build

Post by RustyRodder » August 12th, 2015, 9:56 pm

Good news, Everyone!

I have finally procured a jeep for the transformation into a Jurassic Park maintenance truck!

Well, not really. its still 1100 miles away. In Atlanta. in the hands of my friend. Crap, Im never going to get this out of his hands.

ANYWAY! Here is the victim.

Not pretty anymore. The guy I got it from bought it, and it was red. Well, he couldnt have a red truck! So he spraypainted it orange. Then his wife saw it, and suddenly it turned black. Everywhere, wheels, tires, grill, lights... black. But he didnt prep very well, so it comes off. I was going to paint over it, but at this point I may try to get down to the base factory paint, and use that as a base instead of crappy spraypaint.

Interior wont need much-

I may try to adapt in a set of Sahara seats and a console, or recover the seat in saharaish colors. Or just sew the split seam and call it good.

Underside! BAM!
Try getting that in New York. Clean as a whistle.

Plan, in somewhat of an order-

-Tires. The fronts were replaced <1000 miles ago, so I really dont want to drop 600 on BFG's. The rears will get matching 31's for now, and when they wear out I'll get some 235 All-terrains.
- New shocks, fix the exhaust, and clean the exterior. fix the radio. Normal old jeep junk.
- H4 headlight upgrade.
- I have no idea how these foglights will work, but theyre staying for now. i may get a set of the Delta's for the front as well, and ambers on the rear mounted below the taillights. I plan on using this switch panel- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005R5 ... 29AYZALWOJ. Seems fitting, for some reason. Will contol the front fogs, rear ambers, and second front fogs? dont know.
- Knaack 28's mounted over the wheelwells on the rear. one will be for tools, and props. The other I want to insulate and turn into a cooler. Was debating on this or a rollbar with jabscos.

I also have a CB antenna for it, so it may get a CB. Color scheme will be the wrangler style, with some changes. Numbers on the rear 1/4 panel, and an INGEN logo on the tailgate.

It will be JP25
JP25- Jurassic Park Maintenance, 1988 Jeep Comanche
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2680

RustyRodder

Re: Jeep Comanche- Park maintenance build

Post by RustyRodder » August 22nd, 2015, 9:22 pm

Friends done a few things to it the past couple weeks. The lights all work now, had a few fuses out. He painted over the stupid star, and polished up the lights and emblem. Also found that the guy didnt even take off the factory striping! Ordering some tires this week, and putting it on the road. Debating on the plate- JP 25, JRASCPRK, or C1VRGRL(if i be an ass and steal my friends plate) are all possibilities.

Any advice on getting those decals off after 27 years? I think im going to attempt to paint this myself (woo spraycans haha)

ausjeep

Post by ausjeep » August 23rd, 2015, 1:53 am

heatgun and one of those scrapers with a razor in the end should work.

...and some filler afterwards

teckman02

Post by teckman02 » August 25th, 2015, 10:39 am

man that thing is in great shape looks like it's a short bed what wear is it and what kind of shape are the floor pans in the cab

RustyRodder

Post by RustyRodder » August 25th, 2015, 7:35 pm

teckman02 wrote:man that thing is in great shape looks like it's a short bed what wear is it and what kind of shape are the floor pans in the cab
its a 1988, 4.0/auto shortbed. Only options I know it has for sure are the slider window, AC, and vent windows.

Floors are in nice shape! I was hesitant to buy it, but I figure that the tailgate and good taillights are rare enough/saleable that if its crap between those and scrap I should get most of my money back. For 1000, you really cant go wrong with a running car these days- especially one with working air.

RustyRodder

Post by RustyRodder » August 31st, 2015, 10:46 pm

Todays arrival-

Also a bunch of maintenance parts, new tires, and the CB antenna/mount. I think I may try using a high power magnet to mount it to the bed.

EdynB
Completed JP Jeep
Facebook Name: Edyn Arnold

Post by EdynB » September 1st, 2015, 6:20 pm

I am very interested to see this build, very cool idea! I will stay tuned!

RustyRodder

Post by RustyRodder » September 4th, 2015, 3:40 pm

Arrived last night-

Not screen accurate, but current condition accurate! Also whats in my price range for now.

Pretty much covers the known issues, so now Im moving on to JP mods. First to come tonight...

RustyRodder

Post by RustyRodder » September 4th, 2015, 10:06 pm

So Im perusing craigslist the other day for Jeep or Mustang parts. Found some interesting things, some crap. Decide to look up foglights- Im on the hunt for some rectangular Xenon fogs for the front.

Wait, whats this?

Oh my.

Im going to try placing them on the bumper ends, under the taillights in front of the reverse lights. No idea how it will work, but I've spent more at an Arbys than I paid for these lights so why not give it a shot? If they dont work, I'll throw them up here for trade on something cool to go with the truck.

RustyRodder

Post by RustyRodder » September 17th, 2015, 11:29 am

Waiting for a couple paychecks before I get more parts. Also talking to a friend about paint.

Debating on plates- what do you guys think?

-JP 25
-JRASCPRK
-D1NO DNA
-PRK SRVC
-INGEN (25)