Amber's JP 48 (Philly)

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
thiccet

Amber's JP 48 (Philly)

Post by thiccet » June 2nd, 2015, 11:59 pm

Well, after much diligent searching, it's finally happened. June 1st marked the date I found my Jeep.

There have been a few I was seriously interested in, but they had either slipped through my fingers, I didn't call in time, or they weren't as described once seen in person. I kept going though. On Sunday, I saw a great 1995 Sahara up on Craigslist in Virginia. By the time the owner got back to me (within 4 hours of it being listed), he said someone was already coming in the morning to see it, and was 99% chance purchasing it. As such, the morning came and he notified me the Jeep had been sold. Yet as Sunday night turned into Monday morning, another Jeep popped up. Same year and condition, and only 40 minutes from my area vs 4 1/2 hours in Virginia. I couldn't believe it. I called right that morning around 9 am, and within an hour, we set up a visit later that evening.

I knew the moment I saw it in his garage that it was the one. I had as great feeling just from the listing and his phone call, but in person I just knew.

1995 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
136K miles
Hard & soft tops
Hard doors
Fog lights

Image Image

It's in pristine condition; garage kept for over half its life. Body is in fantastic condition, very minimal rust in usual spots a Jeep would get it, the interior looks like no one's even sat on the seats! Truly a gem that I found in the Philly area. The seller said it was his father's prized possession; he died suddenly of Cardiac Arrest 2 years ago at the age of 54. It's been very sentimental to his son, and he's only put 2K miles in 2 years on it since his father's passing. They just bought a boat, already own a few cars, have kids, and his wife said it was time to let go. He didn't want to sell it, but after talking to me on the phone and meeting me in person, his wife said I was the right owner, and for him "not to cry". It's amazing to find other people so passionate about certain cars.

It's not the dark green rugs/console, but that's something I'm not too eager to change right away, but it'll come down the road. It does come with ONE original rim, the others were replaced when his father had it. He doesn't think he kept them, but will let me know if they are found by his step mother at their property. Also will need to be on the search for half doors.

I can't remember if I ever really described why I've wanted this car before, so I'll give a bit of background on why I'm building this Jeep.

I'll be 26 in July, and I saw Jurassic Park at the age of 3-4. It's a very nostalgic and personal film for me. I can relate so much of life to the film, and it drove my extreme obsession and fascination for palaeontology. I remember the film explaining the story of the mosquito in amber, and I yelled out, "My name's Amber!". It just hit me so deeply and it held on tight. I now work as a Fossil Preparator at a major and very historic museum (Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University) in Philadelphia. Just today I was airscribing in our Edmontosaurus field jacket; the teeth battery are very thin in this one layer of matrix, so I've been slowly shedding off the sandstone so they can be properly removed and added to the collection. We have a beautifully articulated turtle Basilemys (last time I checked) in our lab right now as well that's incredibly intact. I've also worked on Tyrannosaurus, Pachycephalosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Dreadnoughtus, and a bunch more that I can't think of right now. Jurassic Park completely shaped who I am as a person, my passions, and my life.

I will be finishing the title-change and paperwork this Sunday or Monday, so by next week I'll have my Jeep! I luckily have a lot of Jeep friends and car guys that have already volunteered to help with the build.

This will be JP 48. Any LOST fans out there? I was going to do one of the other numbers, but saw all were already taken. 48 was important in the show - also being a combination of the first two numbers - so I snuck that little bit in!

I'll have better photos once I get it later this week. I cannot believe I found this Jeep before Jurassic World opens. What luck :lol:
Amber // 1995 Jeep Wrangler Sahara : JP Jeep #48

GuyHaley

Re: Amber's JP 48 (Philly)

Post by GuyHaley » June 3rd, 2015, 2:15 am

Congrats on getting to step 1. I hope you get to start working on it soon.

Bryantmyers90

Amber's JP 48 (Philly)

Post by Bryantmyers90 » June 3rd, 2015, 10:40 am

I saw this jeep for sale man, great find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jurassic Vic
Site Administrator
Vehicle Make/Model: 93 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Facebook Profile URL: https://www.facebook.com/vicjurassic
Instagram: Jurassic_vic

Post by Jurassic Vic » June 4th, 2015, 4:16 pm

Congrats and best of luck on your project! Be sure to ask any questions, we are here to help. (shameless plug) btw.. if you can't find sahara door panels, I sell replica pouches for the doors ;)

Vic
A new era. join the Jurassic Auto Group facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/jurassicautogroup

FOLLOW THE VLOG AND PODCAST
https://linktr.ee/jurassic_vic

Jurassic Park Jeep commissions message me!

thiccet

Post by thiccet » June 5th, 2015, 7:36 pm

GuyHaley wrote:Congrats on getting to step 1. I hope you get to start working on it soon.
Indeed! I'm picking it up Sunday morning. I have some temporary decals that'll do for awhile that I wanted to have for the premiere.
Bryantmyers90 wrote:I saw this jeep for sale man, great find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh awesome! Where are you located? I know of a few Philly and Jersey folks who do gatherings and drive through Centre City, so that'll be fun to join in on :D
ProjectVIC wrote:Congrats and best of luck on your project! Be sure to ask any questions, we are here to help. (shameless plug) btw.. if you can't find sahara door panels, I sell replica pouches for the doors ;)

Vic
Thanks, Vic! Yes, I most certainly will. The forums, Instagram, and Facebook have been most helpful and inspiring. Fantastic, I'm on the search now, but I'll definitely be in touch if and when I give up :lol:

thiccet

Post by thiccet » June 14th, 2015, 8:11 pm

Update:

It's been two weeks since I purchased the Jeep, and one week of having it in my possession. My mechanic took a quick look at it just to see what shape it's in for a daily driver since it's been a second vehicle for the past owners. For a 20 year old Jeep, it's in fantastic condition! Nothing is leaking, no lights are coming on the dashboard, rides great, no weird noises from the engine, etc. Air/heat works, original Jeep radio works, etc. Has little cosmetic dings that were previously fixed and nothing noticeable. Interior is in amazing condition.

Image Image

My parents love the way it looks now and don't want me to convert it to a JP Jeep, but they know the time is nearing. I've been researching everything that will be needed to create my Jeep. I'm not planning on having it be 100% accurate, but overtime I'll try. If I'm able to find a '92 Sahara in the right colour — and I have the money to spare — that will be one I will make as accurate as possible. I surely wouldn't mind having a fleet :D

As it is a '95, there are some differences, but nothing too major that would set the general public off. To us, we'd see the differences, but most will be so excited to encounter it! Since I do not have the finances to go out and buy accurate tires, I will just wait until these current ones go. I have one accurate wheel, and unfortunately the previous owner does not know if his dad sold the others in the past :(

I'm planning on PlastiDip for the red stripes until the paint needs a full overhaul, but seeing as it's in good shape now, it'll help for my budget. The interior rugs/console are obviously different, so I'll be on the lookout for the accurate ones over time, but it's not something I'm eager to change anyway. I like the tan interior!

The Jeep has a 3" lift, which my mechanic said was done excellently. I'll definitely be keeping the lift :D The Best Top soft top is basically brand new, so I lucked out on not needing to replace it right away.

I really wish I had my Jeep ready for Jurassic World, but it will be done in time.

I'm leaving for the week on business, so I'll get better photos of her once I'm back, but I'll still be active posting on the forums, Instagram, FB, etc.

Digit

Post by Digit » June 15th, 2015, 3:04 am

Bloody hell that looks to be in great condition inside and out. Well done Amber. :)

Doesn't that bonnet protector look smart. shame they weren't fitted in movie.

What style Jeep have you decided on for your build. #10, #12 or the others?
1987 Jeep YJ Wrangler - JP #23 WIP.

Jay

Post by Jay » June 15th, 2015, 5:51 am

Wow those seats look immaculate! I'm very jealous =P Great find!

walke2jd

Post by walke2jd » June 15th, 2015, 10:06 am

I did the same on my jeep; used the factory paint job and used plastidip for the red. It worked out great. Just take your time with the plastidip and do some research on how to spray it before starting. Its pretty forgiving, but there are definitely some tricks to getting it looking perfect.

mysteed

Post by mysteed » June 15th, 2015, 2:30 pm

Wow, that thing looks MINT! Well done!