Jeep Comanche Build

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
mysteed

Jeep Comanche Build

Post by mysteed » June 1st, 2015, 4:16 pm

I have been a huge Jurassic Park nerd ever since the original came out and for the past few years I have been searching for a YJ to fit my needs (6cyl/auto/ac/LJ1) and the clean ones are hard to find. However in my day to day travels I came across a Jeep Comanche owner by a customer of ours and so began a series of events that will lead me to making this MJ (Comanche) into a Jurassic Park clone. After talking to the owner on and off for about two years I just purchased the truck a few weeks ago for the measly sum of $500. I've already been banging heads with RustyRodder over the paint scheme and I think it should turn out really well.

Pictures of where it sat for almost 2 years without moving:

After (a few) washes it looks a lot better:

#12 (PaulRevere's old Jeep) showed up at work last week (parked next to my 98 Cobra):

On Friday my custom tag showed up in the mail. I need to get a custom tag surround now - something with a classic line like "Spared no expense. - Mr. Hammond.

Also picked this up at Wal-Mart to go with me to some shows when the MJ is completed:
Last edited by mysteed on June 21st, 2015, 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RustyRodder

Re: Jeep Comanche Build

Post by RustyRodder » June 1st, 2015, 10:32 pm

Just throwing this out there, Buddy. Except with a Comanche.

Other thoughts...
-Sahara front seats? Or cover the bench in sahara colors.
-Is there a way to adapt the sahara sidesteps?
-The 3 spoke wheel should go right onto that steering column. Looks better, IMO
-What are you going to do with the chrome?
Attachments
JPtruck2.png
JPtruck2.png (430.91 KiB) Viewed 20735 times
JP25- Jurassic Park Maintenance, 1988 Jeep Comanche
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2680

mysteed

Post by mysteed » June 2nd, 2015, 7:30 am

RustyRodder wrote:Just throwing this out there, Buddy. Except with a Comanche.

Other thoughts...
-Sahara front seats? Or cover the bench in sahara colors.
-Is there a way to adapt the sahara sidesteps?
-The 3 spoke wheel should go right onto that steering column. Looks better, IMO
-What are you going to do with the chrome?
That's pretty much exactly what I am planning to do color wise (except LJ1 instead of grey).

1: Sahara front seats would be ideal but anything from a 97-01 Cherokee would be an upgrade.
2: I'm not sure if the sidesteps are adaptable seeing as how the cab of the truck is longer. I may have to play with that a bit if I can find a set for cheap.
3: Steering wheel will get replaced when the 97+ conversion is done.
4: Chrome trim will be painted to match. Also thinking about deleting the drip rails for a cleaner look.

d2b4ker1

Post by d2b4ker1 » June 2nd, 2015, 8:55 am

I like the idea. I'll definitely be following this build!

thiccet

Post by thiccet » June 2nd, 2015, 10:41 pm

I love this build idea, especially with this vehicle! It's going to be an awesome time watching this :D
Amber // 1995 Jeep Wrangler Sahara : JP Jeep #48

weapon lxxxi

Post by weapon lxxxi » June 6th, 2015, 4:40 am

I'd say don't copy the wrangler paint job and go with the style they have there.
So paint it the sand beige still but that decal that's running along the side do that as the red stripe same style as it is now, but where it says "sport truck" (I think that's what it says) put the number or what ever it's used for.. Maintenance etc.
The jeep on the back do in the Sahara orange like on the side of the wranglers. & above the cab facing rear put two amber KC's? JP door logo & paint your wheels red or find wrangler ones & beef it up with all terrains ?
Just my thoughts as it's not got the same angles as a wrangler...

mysteed

Post by mysteed » June 8th, 2015, 7:50 am

weapon lxxxi wrote:I'd say don't copy the wrangler paint job and go with the style they have there.
So paint it the sand beige still but that decal that's running along the side do that as the red stripe same style as it is now, but where it says "sport truck" (I think that's what it says) put the number or what ever it's used for.. Maintenance etc.
The jeep on the back do in the Sahara orange like on the side of the wranglers. & above the cab facing rear put two amber KC's? JP door logo & paint your wheels red or find wrangler ones & beef it up with all terrains ?
Hmmm. Interesting idea on the stripes, I've had a few people make those suggestions as well. Still undecided on the stripes location right now. My amber lights will not be able to be mounted on the rear of the truck so putting them on the cab may be a viable option.

mysteed

Well... we're back... in the car again.

Post by mysteed » June 8th, 2015, 9:42 am

Well... we're back... in the car again.

This past Sunday the wife & I embarked on, what was supposed to be, a 2 hour drive to the little town of Social Circle (southeast of Atlanta) to get a set of 5 wheels off of a 2014 Wrangler with less than 1000 miles on them. Well the trip started fine except for the traffic (typical Atlanta even on a Sunday), and the GPS kept going bonkers due to poor coverage.

I should have known that Malcom's Chaos Theory would come into play during this trip. We made it a few miles down I-20 before we had a tire completely blow out with almost no warning.

Thankfully I had my spare and tools with me so with cars buzzing along in the lane next to me (thanks fellas for moving over!) I got the spare tire changed successfully and off we went. Or at least so I thought till we made it 200 yards down the road and the spare decided to go completely flat.

At that point I had to steel my pride and call my father for assistance. Unfortunately my mother had borrowed his truck that morning so he had to go to the shop & borrow the shuttle vehicle to come and rescue me. Fortunately for us the standard Mustang wheels from 1994-2004 fit the Comanche so with the aid of a decent jack and a spare off of my Cobra we were able to make it back home. I am still waiting on my wheel adapters to come in before I can put the new wheels on the truck.

weapon lxxxi

Post by weapon lxxxi » June 9th, 2015, 12:09 pm

mysteed wrote:
weapon lxxxi wrote:I'd say don't copy the wrangler paint job and go with the style they have there.
Hmmm. Interesting idea on the stripes, I've had a few people make those suggestions as well. Still undecided on the stripes location right now. My amber lights will not be able to be mounted on the rear of the truck so putting them on the cab may be a viable option.
I say go for a different idea... The wrangler paint job is for the wranglers as is the explorer paint job for them. "If" they used Comanches they would have there own paint job too as used in a different way... As long as they all tie together some how I don't see why it wouldn't work :)

tim8820

Post by tim8820 » June 10th, 2015, 12:28 pm

weapon lxxxi wrote:
mysteed wrote:
I say go for a different idea... The wrangler paint job is for the wranglers as is the explorer paint job for them. "If" they used Comanches they would have there own paint job too as used in a different way... As long as they all tie together some how I don't see why it wouldn't work :)

I'd say the service vehicles (wranglers) would all have similar paint schemes and the show vehicles (explorers) would have similar schemes