The quest for the most accurate JP explorer replica ever!

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Henrique_Z_Tomassi

Re: The quest for the most accurate JP explorer replica ever!

Post by Henrique_Z_Tomassi » May 14th, 2015, 4:01 pm

Wow! Great! I'll stick to this thread!
Good luck on your project.
"I feel sorry for that guy Enrique" Ian Malcolm

Ramphastid
Completed JP Explorer

Post by Ramphastid » June 6th, 2015, 6:13 pm

Okay kind of a big update here. A lot has happened over the past few weeks and I've just been too busy to report- but here it is.

As you can see, I installed the hood spot light and 'close enough' brush guard. The brush guard is the right manufacturer but it is made for a 96 explorer. I had to modify a lot of it and square of the portion that covers the headlights in order for it to look like the original go rhino from the movie.

But then, while up late one night scowering the darkest corners of the internet for parts- I found it. THE original Go Rhino brush guard used in the movie and easily one of the most difficult parts to find. It was on an old 91 explorer sport on craigslist.

I immediately got in contact with him and negotiated a price. I ended up having to drive a 30+ hour drive from Louisiana to Denver in order to pick it up but it was worth it. I figured it would take me years to find it considering there are only about 3 or 4 JP explorers around that have the right brush guard. And that includes the one at Islands of Adventure. Scoodidabop, a member here, is one of them. I immediately had it sandblasted and powder coated the screen accurate glossy black. Unfortunately, the screen accurate lights are even harder to find (and made of plastic) so I found the closest thing I could find until I get ahold of them.

So far, so good. Still need to get the passengers side molding fixed, the logos on the sides are slightly too big and i still need to find somebody competent to fabricate the rest of the interior and the bubble roof- But it's coming along steadily. The screen accurate tail light guards, running boards, and antenna are also going to be difficult to find.

Here's a bonus picture of it being setup for some filming we are doing with it this coming week.

Oh yeah, and I finally put the license plate on properly.\

I probably spent around $1600 trying to make that close enough brush guard alone but at least I found the screen accurate one. I'll be posting that brush guard for sale both here and on the RPF for those interested!

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » June 7th, 2015, 8:21 am

It looks amazing! Dont worry about the small things that people will not notice. I think my Jeep is completely different but people always think they see me somewhere that i am not. You are just like me, so i understand but the tires will be noticed.
I am John Sisemore on Facebook

Ramphastid
Completed JP Explorer

Post by Ramphastid » June 7th, 2015, 6:54 pm

ratrace427 wrote:It looks amazing! Dont worry about the small things that people will not notice. I think my Jeep is completely different but people always think they see me somewhere that i am not. You are just like me, so i understand but the tires will be noticed.
It bothers me a lot. I know people wont notice but every time I look at it it starts getting me all boiled up inside! lol

mysteed

Post by mysteed » June 7th, 2015, 7:58 pm

Great build!

fantomas
Completed JP Jeep

Post by fantomas » June 9th, 2015, 12:02 am

Absolutely amazing.

85 GT Kid

Post by 85 GT Kid » June 13th, 2015, 8:46 pm

Looks great. Where'd you get the seats? I read they were from a Wagoneer or something but figured I'd ask :).

Ecto-DMC

Post by Ecto-DMC » June 14th, 2015, 2:49 pm

Damn nice work keep the progress pics coming ;)

Cameron
Roads Where were going a Delorean will never go, BUT a JEEP sure will!.

Ramphastid
Completed JP Explorer

Post by Ramphastid » June 14th, 2015, 3:03 pm

85 GT Kid wrote:Looks great. Where'd you get the seats? I read they were from a Wagoneer or something but figured I'd ask :).
The seats were custom made. They look similar to jeep grand Cherokee seats bur they were confirmed to be custom for the production.

heartyfield

Post by heartyfield » June 15th, 2015, 9:52 am

Conversion vans were still going strong at the time of the movie, and I've always thought a lot of the explorer interior looked similar. Did you have the seats made?
“You've never heard of Chaos theory? Non-linear equations? Strange attractors? Ms. Sattler, I refuse to believe you're not familiar with the concept of attraction.”
https://www.facebook.com/jurassicparkjeep12athens