The quest for the most accurate JP explorer replica ever!

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Ramphastid
Completed JP Explorer

The quest for the most accurate JP explorer replica ever!

Post by Ramphastid » April 26th, 2015, 1:17 am

Like all of us, I grew up with Jurassic Park and it has been one of my favorite movies (if not favorite over all) ever since. My love for the movie never seemed to die so when I was financially sound enough (and had a good excuse) to make one, I jumped at the opportunity. I chose to do an explorer because I was always a fan of how they looked and some of my favorite scenes involve them. I also wanted to have something functional because my wife and I travel frequently to shooting competitions and wanted an SUV to haul our equipment around and I also wanted something that was reliable and I wouldn't mind driving daily.

My search started with initial research on what others had done previously. Although many people have decent replicas of the tour car, very few have the modified interior and bubble roof like the movie vehicles did. I knew this would be expensive so my first step was finding a suitable Explorer to build off of in the best condition possible.
After searching for several months, I finally found it. THE exact model used in the movies! A 1993 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD with tan leather interior AND the original wheels! And that's not even the best part- It was in pristine condition with only 38,000 miles on it and only 3 hours away from where I lived. Aside from a small ding in the side and on the front bumper (both of which can be easily fixed), it is in flawless condition. There is also a tear on the driver seat but it wasn't a big deal considering that was all going to be replaced anyway.

I chose a wrap over paint to get the colors and pattern as accurate as possible. Mine will be number 04, based off of the Explorer Lex & Tim rode and and was eventually trashed by the T. rex.

One of the most difficult parts is finding the original brush guards and tail light guards. As you can imagine, there is not exactly a high demand for 22 year old brush guards so I will more than likely have to have somebody replicate them as close as possible (or search craigslist for a couple years for the originals)
The one in the movie was modified off of this original Rhino Built from the early 90s. According to my research, this particular one was one of the more expensive guards so that makes it even more rare. If anybody knows of one PLEASE let me know!
The spotlight and fog lights attach to the hood and brush guard, respectively. The spotlight will need to be powdercoated red and the foglights touched up. I believe the spotlight to be the screen accurate KC one used in the movie though i am not 100% on the foglights. I'm holding off on the roof lights until I get the bubble roof started as I have yet to find the screen accurate KC's and they can't even be mounted until the roof is complete.

The center consoles and monitors are going to be replicated as close as possible. The only difference is that I plan on instead replacing them with tablets. We'll just say that this is a 'modernized' version of the tour vehicle. The Dash will also be modified to look closer to the one in the movie, and the speedometer and gauges replaced with something more modern.

Lastly, the hard part- The bubble roof. This will probably be more expensive than any other part but I am told that it is possible. It's just a matter of finding somebody to make the mold and everything for it. I will update this thread with more info as I am presented with it.

So far, I have completed the wrap and have matched the colors and pattern to probably the most accurate exterior of a replica I have seen. Most have have based their pant or wrap jobs on the DVD/ original bluray screen shots which make the car appear more neon when it is in fact a more orange yellow/ lime green as seen here:

DVD/BRDl:

Color Correct:

We went through several reprints and iterations in the design over the course of a month before it was fully printed and wrapped in order to get the design and color as close as possible.

Here are two of our most early tests:

And the final product once it was completed:

Some of the images above look a little off due to the time of day they were taken. I will take more professional looking photos once it's closer to being done. The first picture probably represents the color the best so far.
For now, I am installing some 'close enough' tail light guards and brush guard until I can find the accurate products. As you can see in the pictures, the tail light guards have already been installed. The rest should be installed this week.

Next, what has been done to the interior so far:
Screen accurate front and back seats! All that's left now are the center console/monitors, dash and door panels for the interior. I'm also having custom rugs with the jurassic park logo on them made. The front seats have removable headrests to use when driving. So far, this Explorer is the only replica in the world with screen accurate seats! Some of the stitching is slightly off from the originals but they're about 98% accurate.

The bumpers and grill are getting painted this week as well as the brush guard put on- The exterior will pretty much be complete except for the bubble roof which is last on the list of things to do.

By the way, if any of you are interested in seeing more pictures and progress I've started a facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Juras...68731930043987

The car will be featured in an upcoming production on a YouTube channel owned by my family. I will update this thread with progress as soon as it's been made. Most of the exterior should be done by the end of the week except for the bubble roof which has to be made a little more intricately.

GuyHaley

Re: The quest for the most accurate JP explorer replica ever!

Post by GuyHaley » April 26th, 2015, 4:56 am

That looks good so far. I can't wait to see the final product. Are you planning to create the video so it can be used on the screens or tablets as you said?

Jurassic Vic
Site Administrator
Vehicle Make/Model: 93 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Facebook Profile URL: https://www.facebook.com/vicjurassic
Instagram: Jurassic_vic

Post by Jurassic Vic » April 26th, 2015, 9:36 am

Wow, it's coming along beautifully. Props! So you should be looking good in time for the movie. Where in Texas are you?? I'm in Houston.
A new era. join the Jurassic Auto Group facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/jurassicautogroup

FOLLOW THE VLOG AND PODCAST
https://linktr.ee/jurassic_vic

Jurassic Park Jeep commissions message me!

Ramphastid
Completed JP Explorer

Post by Ramphastid » April 26th, 2015, 10:22 am

ProjectVIC wrote:Wow, it's coming along beautifully. Props! So you should be looking good in time for the movie. Where in Texas are you?? I'm in Houston.
I actually live in the Shreveport area of Louisiana but I bought the truck in Dallas. It should be done before the movie but I've been running behind thanks to some morons causing a hiccup in the wrap process.

Jurassic Vic
Site Administrator

Post by Jurassic Vic » April 26th, 2015, 10:42 am

Sweet, if you ever decide to take the truck to Houston hit me up and we can drive around and turn some heads haha

Ramphastid
Completed JP Explorer

Post by Ramphastid » April 26th, 2015, 12:46 pm

ProjectVIC wrote:Sweet, if you ever decide to take the truck to Houston hit me up and we can drive around and turn some heads haha
We travel throughout Texas frequently so I definitely will. Probably won't travel with it until it least has everything but the roof done, however.

NathansPROPS

Post by NathansPROPS » April 26th, 2015, 2:04 pm

AWESOME! Another Explorer Build! Can wait to see your progress friend!

Ramphastid
Completed JP Explorer

Post by Ramphastid » May 10th, 2015, 6:15 pm

Bumpers and grill are now painted. Next I will be putting on the 'close enough' brush guard until I can find the screen accurate one. I also need to paint the hood spotlight and put it on which shouldn't be too difficult. After that, I will be heavily focusing on the interior and getting the bubble roof made.

scoodidabop
Completed JP Explorer

Post by scoodidabop » May 11th, 2015, 7:11 am

Good to see my screencaps getting put to use. Good progress dude.

Good luck on the front guard. Most of us that have a true accurate one spent years trying to find it. They're a tough one.

Jurassic Vic
Site Administrator

Post by Jurassic Vic » May 11th, 2015, 11:41 am

Coming out beautifully