1992 YJ Sahara My New Baby

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
thefewtheproud

1992 YJ Sahara My New Baby

Post by thefewtheproud » May 16th, 2010, 5:30 pm

Okay,
So last year me and my dad sold our 1986 CJ7 because it was a rust bucket and we didn't want to bring it on our move from Ohio to Arizona. Ever since then I have been searching for a suitable replacement. Ever since I saw Jurassic Park I have been obsessed with YJ Wrangler Sahara Editions. The ones with the green seats and tan saddle bags! So my plan was to buy all the Sahara parts and install them in the CJ when I restored it. Well when we had to sell it I gave up on this and kind of dropped the whole jeep thing for a year. After searching craigslist religiously for the last couple months I finally got frustrated trying to find a 6 cylinder YJ that I liked. Last friday I was watching a movie and decided to check craigslist on my phone at 10 o clock at night. For the first time I clicked on a posting that did not include a photo. (usually I skip these) Everything sounded perfect on the ad. It was a 1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara in Sand Beige Poly with the green/spice interior. For those who don't know, this is the exact year and color of the jeeps used in Jurassic Park. I was ecstatic! I bought it the next day. I can not believe I found the Jeep that I have been looking for literally my whole life. I plan to keep it forever. Let me know what you guys think!

I am still undecided on whether or not to make it a JP jeep because it is so nice as an original. However, with the model year and factory color I think it is the most movie accurate base vehicle of any on this site! Rare find, spared no expense :D

AJ Quick
Site Moderator

Re: 1992 YJ Sahara My New Baby

Post by AJ Quick » May 16th, 2010, 5:33 pm

You are so lucky!

How much did you pick that up for?

It looks great. Are you going to undo the lift?
1971 Volkwagen Beetle - 1993 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 1998 Dodge Neon R/T
http://www.GBFans.com/ - http://www.JurassicJeep.com/

thefewtheproud

Post by thefewtheproud » May 16th, 2010, 5:39 pm

Thanks! This thing means so much to me!
I paid $5500. That seemed crazy cheap for what it is worth to me.
I originally planned on not having a lifted jeep but now that I have seen mine and driven it I really am leaning towards keeping it. It is pretty cool in person and doesn't seem over the top. My current plans for it are carpet and new seat upholstery. The carpet was nasty so I ripped it out when I cleaned it. The seats aren't in too bad of shape but they are kind of faded and the driver's seat has some places where it has come unthreaded. I am really hoping I can find someone who will sell me the upholstery in great shape that I can replace them with!

gb_dan

Post by gb_dan » May 16th, 2010, 5:40 pm

Must be a Jeep buying weekend! Congrats man, that is a beauty!

thefewtheproud

Post by thefewtheproud » May 16th, 2010, 5:42 pm

gb_dan wrote:Must be a Jeep buying weekend! Congrats man, that is a beauty!
Thanks! Did you pick one up too?!

Cyrix9445
Site Administrator
Vehicle Make/Model: Ford Explorer
Facebook Name: Brandon Constant
Facebook Profile URL: https://www.facebook.com/jurassicparkexplorer04/
Instagram: cyrix9445

Post by Cyrix9445 » May 16th, 2010, 6:06 pm

Holy crap! That thing is in great shape, very good price too! Congrats!
1993 Ford Explorer

thefewtheproud

Post by thefewtheproud » May 16th, 2010, 6:22 pm

Cyrix9445 wrote:Holy crap! That thing is in great shape, very good price too! Congrats!
Thanks! I was hoping you'd see it! I really want to find those seat replacements now! I am now getting familiar with the fact that owning a rare vehicle makes it hard to find original parts!

AJ Quick
Site Moderator

Post by AJ Quick » May 16th, 2010, 6:26 pm

Seats pop up on eBay or Craigslist from time to time.

Unless your seat is horribly cut up, I would just try to live with it as is.

They don't sell replacement covers for these, so you would have to pay quite a bit of money if you wanted some new covers made. (It might not hurt to contact companies that may already sell Jeep reupholstry kits and see if they could do a custom fabric one).
1971 Volkwagen Beetle - 1993 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 1998 Dodge Neon R/T
http://www.GBFans.com/ - http://www.JurassicJeep.com/

thefewtheproud

Post by thefewtheproud » May 16th, 2010, 6:41 pm

AJ Quick wrote:Seats pop up on eBay or Craigslist from time to time.

Unless your seat is horribly cut up, I would just try to live with it as is.

They don't sell replacement covers for these, so you would have to pay quite a bit of money if you wanted some new covers made. (It might not hurt to contact companies that may already sell Jeep reupholstry kits and see if they could do a custom fabric one).
Yeah, it is not horrible I was going to stitch it back up. I just really don't like that faded look.

thefewtheproud

Post by thefewtheproud » May 24th, 2010, 9:38 pm

Okay so I am wondering if there would be major fade marks if I removed the factory double pinstripes and sahara logos? Maybe finding an accurate sahara model isn't such a blessing after all..