XJ #21 in Alabama

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Y2KTJ

XJ #21 in Alabama

Post by Y2KTJ » September 28th, 2014, 1:41 pm

finally done with the paint on my '90 Jeep Cherokee. I've had the Jeep for about 5 years now, and have already painted it once. Originally it was a light blue, then I painted it an orange/copper color. But, it recently had a slight run-in with a tornado, so it was time to paint it once again.

Before

The storms had scratched the paint pretty bad and there were some dents from a sign that was blown into the side, but it was still good mechanically. I was letting my roommate drive it, though, and he was trying to do 4wd burnouts and ended up tearing up the transfer case and engine. So... I built up a new engine and put in a new transfer case, as well as some new lift springs, and started on the body and paint work. After using 6 rolls of tape, more paint than I expected, and half a gallon of clearcoat- I ended up with this:

I wasn't happy with what I was finding on ebay, so I placed an order through a small company in PA for the lettering on the doors and the logo for the hood.

I still have a few things I want to do with it, but overall I'm happy with how it turned out. I'm planning on getting new bumpers front and rear, and a light rack for the roof. I still need to get the JP license plate too.
'90 XJ in explorer paint
JP21 photobucket

First5.0

XJ #21 in Alabama

Post by First5.0 » September 28th, 2014, 4:01 pm

Very cool. Can you swap and flip the rear tail lights so the red is on the bottom and orange on top like the saharas with hilites?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Y2KTJ

Re: XJ #21 in Alabama

Post by Y2KTJ » September 28th, 2014, 8:33 pm

I had never thought to do that. Sounds interesting- I'll see what I can do tomorrow.
'90 XJ in explorer paint
JP21 photobucket

Y2KTJ

Post by Y2KTJ » October 5th, 2014, 8:36 pm

nope. Tail light won't flip. The housings are wider at the top.

Had a u-joint come apart on me today- that was fun. You never know what's going to happen next with this thing with only 405k miles on the ODO.
'90 XJ in explorer paint
JP21 photobucket

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » October 6th, 2014, 6:56 pm

thats pretty slick. I like the late model wheels and the engine is looking great. Painting the wheels in the future?
I am John Sisemore on Facebook

Y2KTJ

Post by Y2KTJ » October 7th, 2014, 11:41 pm

I'm not sure if I'll do the wheels. I'd probably have to do the fender flares and bumpers too for it to look right. So, I don't know- maybe when I get/make some new bumpers.
'90 XJ in explorer paint
JP21 photobucket

Y2KTJ

Post by Y2KTJ » August 3rd, 2015, 7:20 pm

I got a few more things done to the Jeep recently. Bought front and rear bumpers from Nates 4x4 and put them on. Got the license plate for the front and added some Hella driving lights as well. I tore up the Dana 35, then a Chrysler 8.25, so I went ahead and swapped in a Ford 8.8 from an explorer. So, now I can say it's part explorer so the paint job is somewhat accurate.

'90 XJ in explorer paint
JP21 photobucket