Kid and Son's jeep for our JP Build

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Kid

Re: Kid and Son's jeep for our JP Build

Post by Kid » July 22nd, 2014, 7:06 pm

Thanks. Starting to stock pile what we need for the build. We are going to pick up the 102” antenna with spring and ball next Friday. My son has a great lead on the rims. My older son works for a large tire distributor so they are covered. Looking for a windshield and frame along with the side boards/steps. The interior will come one piece at a time after the paint. Still looking for everything. May have to get the seats recovered . I will due the carpet myself if I can’t fine what I need in my area.
What are you all hooking up the rear yellow light to? Are you all using a different switch or are you using them as turn signals? I was going to run the wires for them now as we are doing all of that other wiring. After its painted we will add the wiring for the bumper and roll bar lights.

fantomas
Completed JP Jeep

Post by fantomas » July 22nd, 2014, 11:29 pm

Kid wrote: What are you all hooking up the rear yellow light to? Are you all using a different switch or are you using them as turn signals? I was going to run the wires for them now as we are doing all of that other wiring. After its painted we will add the wiring for the bumper and roll bar lights.
I ran a wire down the driver's side following the current wiring (under the carpet). It's connected to a non-cannon switch up front. For the actual movie Jeeps, the yellow lights were most likely powered by the wiring going to the tail lights. There's screen shots of the #10 Jeep at night with just the yellow on and no tail lights lit up http://www.jurassicparkjeep.com/jpsc/10-7.jpg so it's most likely that the tail lights were disconnected and the power just ran to the yellow lights.

COBrian
Completed JP Jeep

Post by COBrian » July 23rd, 2014, 3:18 pm

I wired my rears independently. Fresh wiring from battery to relay to switch in dash and the rears. I choose to not consider them "off road use only" so I did not put a dimmer on them. If you want to use them on the road since they are fog lights you will need a dimmer unless you like tickets ;)

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1264&start=140#p16631

Is where i show what I did.
1993 Sahara - JP29 - Denver, CO

Kid

Post by Kid » July 23rd, 2014, 5:46 pm

Thank you guys for the input on the rear yellow lights. Adding them to a switch would work. However, like all toys, boys must play. Your right, ending up with a ticket. Maybe more real then you would think. Putting them on a dimmer switch is a great idea. However, will I be attempted to turn them up now and then. You know it. Boys and their toys.
But I think I came up with an answer. I will remove the light bulb and socket from the yellow fog lights. Replacing it with a new socket / bulb, used in a tail light assembly. That way they will serve a purpose and not get me into trouble. I will end up with yellow rear running lights and rear yellow turn signals.

fantomas
Completed JP Jeep

Post by fantomas » July 23rd, 2014, 11:44 pm

I'm not sure how bright a lower wattage bulb would be, but a 25 watt H3 bulb might not blind cars behind you... Or maybe these http://www.amazon.com/Amico-White-Headl ... ewpoints=1 4/5 of the reviews are negative and they all complain about the bulb being too dull lol. I just wonder if the light pattern would be noticeably terrible.

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » July 25th, 2014, 9:03 am

Wire them in series. Ups the resistance about 3 ohms. Then turn them looking down to the ground. They will be dimmer than your brake lights.
I am John Sisemore on Facebook

Kid

Post by Kid » July 25th, 2014, 9:42 am

I guess that would make them functional as well. I am going to just play around with them and see what the best look is. Heck, I even have a very large supply of strobe lights that came off of Police vehicles.
We finished the rewiring of everything inside the jeep. Now we are going to do the body repairs. Only two rusted spots That’s where the roll bar bolts behind the front seats. We are going to cut it out and weld in new metal. However, It’s been in the upper 90’s all week with rain every day. Therefore this may take a few days. I will up date the build with pics when the body repairs are done.

Kid

Post by Kid » August 3rd, 2014, 7:04 pm

After pricing out all the suspension parts needed to bring our jeep back to road ready, shocked the hell out of me. I decided to find a donor jeep. In my search I found this, 1990 YJ. Payed $500.00.The body is very, how do I say this in a nice way, gone. (rust bucket) However the steering gear box, sway bar, rear door, and all the gages dash trim are in good shape. It has a strong 4cyl, 5 speed in it. When I am done parting everything out I need I am going to sell off what I can, hood, grill, motor and trans ect. Then make a barbeque grill out of the rear half of the jeeps body and frame. 8-)
Attachments
white jeep.jpg

cptcrunch
Completed JP Jeep

Post by cptcrunch » August 3rd, 2014, 9:48 pm

Good find on the donor. I think you could easily get a few hundred for the motor and transmission assemblies and may even break even if you can part out other left overs.

COBrian
Completed JP Jeep

Post by COBrian » August 4th, 2014, 12:44 pm

some people also chop off the rear half and make a "jeep trailer"
1993 Sahara - JP29 - Denver, CO