CT TJ JP 05 [Complete]

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
topgearuk98

Re: CT TJ JP 05 [Complete]

Post by topgearuk98 » June 19th, 2015, 9:27 pm

It looks even better at dusk. Great job! YJ, or TJ, or JK, those crests and stripes always put a smile on my face.
Image [ ] |||||||| [ ]

usmercenary
Completed JP Jeep

Post by usmercenary » January 5th, 2016, 12:06 am

Little bit of a progress update - work on the jeep has been pretty slow as life has gotten in the way, but I am working on finishing the lightbar. I had a plate made to weld to my stock rugged ridge lightbar to hold the lights on, and as such needed to repaint the piece. Since I got the whole thing painted about a year ago at a shop, I needed an alternate way to paint this. I ended up getting the color custom mixed at the paint shop in some spray cans, and also bought a matte finisher. All and all, some almost $200 for it all! :o
20160103_192003.jpg
A picture of me and my buddy measuring up the holes to be drilled for the light wiring and mounting
20160103_170110.jpg
and the plate marked up, hopefully heading to the drill press this week and then to be re painted
20160103_171936.jpg
Last edited by usmercenary on March 27th, 2016, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

usmercenary
Completed JP Jeep

Post by usmercenary » January 28th, 2016, 11:55 pm

Been working on getting my lights ready to be mounted on the lightbar, I've completed the first one, only 3 more to go!
20160128_214246.jpg
20160128_214252.jpg
You can kind of see how I attempted to replicate the extra add-ons from the movie lights as much as I was willing to. I decided to keep the light housing white, mainly because I cannot access the body color tan anymore with any ease.

DriverGT5

Post by DriverGT5 » January 29th, 2016, 11:30 am

Cool stuff!

All that work, it makes you wonder how the original movie cars were decided on. Why did some Jeeps get a light bar shortened and the tabs cut off, while another got a plate welded on with 4 search lights? Given that the studio's seem to be so cheap when it comes to building movie cars, why spend all the effort and money on the light bar that does nothing, or 4 expensive search lights? :?:

Anyway, rant over, looks like you're making some great progress!
1992 Wrangler Sahara
Mach 5 Thunder Roadster
'68 Silver Eagle, '05 DB9, '05 RX8, '00 S430, '99 DeVille, '94 E350 7.3

KPtheMP
Completed JP Jeep

Post by KPtheMP » January 29th, 2016, 7:23 pm

That cut seen with Ellie grabbing the leaf shows the wiring coming out of the jeep and going into the light bar. I'm wondering if all the jeeps initially had the search lights and then were removed due to getting in the way during filming or maybe its just that 12 and 18 are the same jeep.
My JW JP29 build viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2849
8915 Jeep MJ http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1119938

"You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are."

usmercenary
Completed JP Jeep

Post by usmercenary » February 12th, 2016, 11:28 pm

Finally finished adding all the accessories to the lights, and got them mounted on the bar. Next comes mounting the bar on the jeep, and the mounting solution for the 4 light controllers. Turning out very nicely!
20160212_204927.jpg
(crappy cell pic)

usmercenary
Completed JP Jeep

Post by usmercenary » February 21st, 2016, 11:04 pm

So unfortunately I have had a couple of setbacks with the light bar. First off, the mounting screws that came with the bar are the incorrect thread to mount into the windshield hinge frame. I read this in the reviews for the bar, and was easily remedied at my local hardware by buying the correct bolts with the correct thread (5/16 x 1 - 18, button cap head if anyone is wondering). The next issue came when we were trying to mount it up. The driver side mounting plate sat perfectly flush onto the windshield frame, and the mounting holes were perfectly aligned. I wish I could say the same for the passenger side mount. The mounting pattern of the holes is correct, however the entire pattern seems to be offset by a few millimeters, not allowing the bend in the mount to properly sit flush on the frame. Long story short, it does not fit on the passenger side. So I am thinking about reaming out the mounting holes a little bit in the direction that they are offset, and using washers in addition to the bolts to hopefully keep the bolt securely in place within the enlarged hole. Also, I may have damaged slightly one of the threads that is recessed in the windshield frame. That would be a nightmare to take apart and replace so I am going to attempt thread repair with a tap.

Also, I came to the (now so obvious) realization that with the light bar mounted up, I cannot freely take my soft top on and off, as it sits right above the windshield. I guess I have to decide now whether to mount up the bar with the top in the on or off position, as I would have to remove the bar just to change the top orientation.

usmercenary
Completed JP Jeep

Post by usmercenary » March 1st, 2016, 10:21 pm

Just to show you guys how much the passenger side mounting bracket really is! Currently thinking of a solution, maybe grinding out the hole to an oblong shape and using a washer in combination with the bolt.
20160228_145831.jpg

ausjeep

Post by ausjeep » March 3rd, 2016, 3:27 am

i had to drill mine out by almost half a hole. thats why i have massive washers on those bolts.

are you the same person i told to unmount their soft top to get it under the light bar on facebook?

usmercenary
Completed JP Jeep

Post by usmercenary » March 3rd, 2016, 5:59 pm

ausjeep wrote:i had to drill mine out by almost half a hole. thats why i have massive washers on those bolts.

are you the same person i told to unmount their soft top to get it under the light bar on facebook?
I am going to do the same with the washers. Im thinking now how to best drill them out further. Did you just use a regular drill / bits to do that? That wasn't me on Facebook, though that is a good idea to un-mount the soft top to get it to slide under the lightbar. Thanks!