Kentucky Jeep #22

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
crayZcollegeKid

Kentucky Jeep #22

Post by crayZcollegeKid » March 12th, 2014, 2:33 am

Drum roll please!
Yes, you have guessed correctly, I've finally acquired a Jeep to use for the project. It's a 2005 TJ Sahara with semi-gloss silver paint. The Jeep is an automatic with only 63,000 original miles and the price was a steal (reason why I bought it). Of course it's not movie accurate but I believe if the park had stayed open longer that the employee equipment would've improved over the years. Since there's a bigger cost difference between a YJ and TJ, the build time will be slowed dramatically but should never cease. Below are pictures and following them would be my vague but overall idea of which parts I need to get.

Okie doke now it's time to get technical and realize that there's so many parts to get with a small budget and lots of time.

The wheels. (I could keep the ones shown but I've found a set of 5 for 250)
The half doors. (It's a TJ, shouldn't be too hard to find)
The tan soft top. (This will be met with later or I can "paint" the current hard top tan)
THE PAINT. (Real biggie here. I have a pal who Plasti-Dips anything flat fee 300, should work)
The roll cage pads. (This Jeep comes with black versions.)
The rear amber lights. (Find another Jeep in a parts yard, pop out the parking lamps in the front and done)
The winch. (Last detail I would add due to its rarity and price)
The light bar and lights. (Again, it's a TJ and those are more common to find than YJ)
Coil antenna. (Never. I'm sorry but I just can't deal with a piece of equipment without functionality)
Official plates. (The KY vanity plate for "JP 22" is available)
Decals. (I will be talking to 8-Bit sometime about these)
Seats. (Current seats are black. I plan to get covers that look close to the movie)

That's all I can think for the moment. If I've missed a detail or have inaccurate statement, please inform me so I can make corrections.

Thank you guys for existing and sharing the same ideas as me. Happy building!
______________________________________________________________________________________

PaulRevere1991
Completed JP Jeep

Re: Kentucky Jeep #22

Post by PaulRevere1991 » March 12th, 2014, 3:41 am

Congrats on your purchase, I used to have a 04 unlimited in that same silver and black before i sold it to fund my JP jeep.

Looking at your list, what you might want to do is do your own interpretation of what a newer import to Isla nublar would be, Jeeps would get lost to dinos every now and again, so im sure they would have to purchase new ones to replace those that were lost. Both would be used probably up till this day if the park actually existed, parts are a lot cheaper to ship in than Jeeps you know XD. It might be easier/cheaper/ and look a lot better than trying to make it look like a jeep that was last produced in any similarity, 10 years before.

Maybe just stick the red stripes on there, and then deck it out with pelican cases, a few extra lights, maybe some of that roll bar netting. Or whatever you think would look cool, simple functional modifications that keep in spirit of what was done to the YJ's.

The CB can be very useful and fun, and sets can be found for 30 bucks or so and then the antenna. great for when your traveling with friends on the road, and you can talk to all the trucks, also very useful for off-roading. the 108" whip is the eases antenna to use once you have it installed correctly, no need to tune or trim just plug and play. its also rather cheap compared to the other stuff on your list.

I believe Racetrack makes decals that are much better quality than 8-bit, so ask him first :)

your not gonna find seat covers that are even close to the YJ seats, unless you have them custom made, which at that pint converting your TJ to accept YJ seats would be cheaper. All the more reason to do your own thing :)

This is just my suggestion/opinion BTW, if you have your heart set on getting as close to a YJ as you can get it then go for it. this is just to get ya thinking about other paths that you might like better.

Congrats again,
Paul

crayZcollegeKid

Post by crayZcollegeKid » March 12th, 2014, 4:28 am

Ah, thanks Paul! I'll take your seat idea into consideration when it comes time for movie specs if no covers exist. And 30 bucks for a CB?! Awesome, I figured they would run at least 400, at 30 is more manageable and I should be able to swing it. The whip antenna will be a good addition then :D

Haha a dino wouldnt be the main issue for replacing the Jeeps, I was thinking more along the lines of environmental stresses there. Yet, being in a stampede of Gallimus would've been bad as well lol or get caught on a embankment being sprayed in the face with venom from something that didn't want to "fetch the stick, stupid." (My favorite scene)
______________________________________________________________________________________

PaulRevere1991
Completed JP Jeep

Post by PaulRevere1991 » March 12th, 2014, 4:48 am

Yup, 30 bucks for like a craigslist set, and then the 50 or so for the antenna.

And you have to consider that according to the books all the vehicles were kept in a garage, that probably had a mechanic on staff once the park was up and running. any environmental stresses would be minimized by these factors, and the fact that its cheaper to get parts than a new jeep imported in. I see many schools districts around where i live still using crown vics from the late 80's, and they have salt and snow to deal with, and they don't have to ship new ones across a ocean to get them there lol. I think unless a Jeep or explorer was totaled by either a dino or driving off a embankment, it would just get repaired.

cptcrunch
Completed JP Jeep

Post by cptcrunch » March 12th, 2014, 8:53 pm

Awesome! Glad you found a wrangler. I was going to send you a local YJ Sahara that is the right color and in great shape, but, uh, nevermind :). I'm excited to see your build/conversion thread and will be waiting patiently for the first KY JP meet up!

crayZcollegeKid

Post by crayZcollegeKid » March 12th, 2014, 11:23 pm

Nice hearing from you captain! Hopefully everything goes smoothly over the next couple of months. Since I still live at home and having the Jeep as my first major purchase, I really don't know what to expect when my parents see red paint being applied.

About the YJ, tell me about it because I have a friend interested in acquiring a new vehicle and he's also digging my Jurassic Park conversion. If we can get a third member on board then Kentucky will be on the rise with prehistoric nostalgia swag mane lol.

cptcrunch
Completed JP Jeep

Post by cptcrunch » March 13th, 2014, 9:12 am

Looks like the one sold. But here are two more that look in great condition

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/4370673325.html
95 YJ Sahara, green in color, correct factory top, bfg all terrains with right wheels, great starter for $5k

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/4369208626.html
93 YJ Sahara, green i ncolor, aftermarket top with full hard doors, non standard tires/wheels. Ok starter for a high $7k

crayZcollegeKid

Post by crayZcollegeKid » March 13th, 2014, 3:47 pm

Thanks man but I showed him right then and he can't make a 5 speed his daily. They're nice jeeps and that $5000 model would be a great project base. Haha you should get it and have two.

PaulRevere1991
Completed JP Jeep

Post by PaulRevere1991 » March 13th, 2014, 10:38 pm

lol, why? 5 speeds are better on gas XD

crayZcollegeKid

Post by crayZcollegeKid » March 13th, 2014, 10:41 pm

That's correct but the jeep will have to be automatic to accommodate his girlfriend. They both drive one vehicle between them right now and a 5 speed would only benefit his end, not hers.