JP18 Build Thread (Number 2), Jacksonville FL

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Dwight
Site Moderator

Re: JP12 Build Thread, Jacksonville FL

Post by Dwight » April 6th, 2021, 1:43 pm

Went ahead and did a test fit of JP12's light bar as well as the Radio Shack ball mount.

The measurements on the reference section on the Motor Pool website is pretty spot on.

6" from the rear tub seam, and 1.5" down from the exterior body line. For anyone reading this, I would go down 1.5" from the point right where the body line starts to curve. The reference section wasn't specific so I measured from the middle of the body line curve which probably put my mount 1/16" higher, but looking at the screen shots from the film and my placement, it looks about right.

tempImagemW6LoF.gif
tempImage32xDTu.gif
tempImageoC7li6.gif
tempImageoC7li6.gif (28.71 KiB) Viewed 118367 times
tempImage1xlh9A.gif
tempImage1xlh9A.gif (77.71 KiB) Viewed 118367 times

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » April 30th, 2021, 4:07 pm

Repainted the front bumper and the fog light housings with Rustoleums Painter's Touch 2x (Flat) which turned out really good. It isn't as flat as you would think and seems to be right on the money to what the factory black would have looked like.

Also did a test fit of the winch plate, spacers, and tow hooks that I got from Kytor Industries (reference section under the winch portion).

While the rest of the jeep isn't pretty right now, this part is looking FRESH!

tempImage4SPG0e.gif

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » May 4th, 2021, 6:14 pm

Started to install Noico 80 mil sound deadener ($65 per box on amazon). I ordered 2 boxes, but you may be able to get away with just one box if you are strategic in where you place the mats.

The process for install is pretty straightforward:

1) Prep, clean, and degrease the surface
2) Mark and cut out any holes you don't want covered
3) Peel backing off and place mat
4) Use a roller to press it on

There are plenty of other brands of sound deadener on the market such as Killmat, Dynamat, Soundskin, etc. This is on the lower scale in terms of cost, but still has great reviews.

I also went ahead and applied the Ramsey winch decal set from 401graphics to the winch. I still have a few things to do in order to get the winch setup 100%. I need to order a new solenoid with all the cables ($250), spool the cable and attach the hook, and install the fairlead.

tempImageAIjlbs.gif
tempImageLOHPv7.gif

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » May 8th, 2021, 10:14 am

Got new shoes on JP12 today. Normally I would have held off getting the tires installed until after paint, but the ones that were on the Jeep were dry rotted.

The rims on there now are a spare set, so I have a better set that will be painted and installed later.

One lesson I've learned with this build is that converting a Jeep back to stock isn't always as easy as it seems. I've had to buy new leaf springs, shackles, rims, tires, half doors, Sahara door panels, fender flares, hood hardware, bumperettes, etc. Plus the removal and restoration of various other parts.

Either way, while it doesn't look like it, I'm nearly complete with the JP12 build. All that's left is to find one Jabsco, install the leaf springs, and get to painting.

Heres a little 2 month progress photo.

tempImageNUpAbU.gif

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » May 11th, 2021, 3:55 pm

Just wanted to do a little write up about the Marine Search Lights to compare the 100% accurate Ray-Line branded light with the Jabsco branded light.

Also threw in a comparison with the Jabsco and a knock off version.

From what I’ve gathered:

- The Ray-Line and Jabsco branded lights are pretty much identical with the exception of the stamping on the housing and the lens. The lower stamp will be covered by the base rings, and the lens stamps are hardly noticeable to the naked eye.

- Controllers between Ray-Line and Jabsco are identical.

- Jabsco compared to the knock off, the housing ring is much lower than it should be on the knock off, as well as the mounting base is different. Also, the controllers are different.

- - - - - - - - -

I have heard the knock offs don’t move as much in the wind as the more accurate lights, but I have decided to go with a mix of 2 Ray-Lines and 2 Jabscos. While the “not moving in the wind sounds nice”, I’m shooting for accuracy so I want my base and rings as well as the controllers to be correct.

tempImagefpY2jT.gif
tempImagedArjYK.gif
tempImageOwsnr1.gif
tempImageYtMtbi.gif
tempImage86w6IN.gif
tempImage86w6IN.gif (244.01 KiB) Viewed 118161 times

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » May 18th, 2021, 11:12 am

A little more progress with the sound deadener. For how cheap this stuff is, its a pretty noticeable difference in the sound when you knock on it.

tempImageHMdpnY.gif

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » May 19th, 2021, 2:34 pm

Managed to find this vintage Jade Fashions blousing shirt on eBay for $9 and couldn't pass it up. Same brand and pattern as the shirt Dennis wears. Very hard to find these things. I'm sure I can make it work with some sort of skeleton cosplay for the Jeep.

Also finished off my Marine searchlight collection at an average cost of $160 each. Since Ray-Lines are so hard to find, I decided that 2 Jabscos would suffice as the main features between the 2 brands are identical. The only difference being some stamping that gets covered by the base molding.

tempImagexcwInH.gif
tempImagexcwInH.gif (310.27 KiB) Viewed 118079 times
tempImage5gVeWc.gif
tempImage5gVeWc.gif (77.39 KiB) Viewed 118079 times
tempImageCfluSI.gif

Sync

Post by Sync » May 21st, 2021, 9:38 am

Wow nice job !
The sound deadener looks great, I will keep this in mind for my future Jeep :o

Couple of questions concerning your work :
- The ball mount from RadioShack is black and yours is grey.
=> which mount plate do you used ? Did you paint it ? If yes, which paint did you use ?

- The OEM carpet set
=> where did you bought it ? I heard people questioning about the OEM green color (which brand is more screen accurate ?), and issue about fixing it (not same size on some pieces)

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » May 21st, 2021, 5:31 pm

Appreciate it! Luckily it's not that expensive. Just a bit time consuming installing it.

So the screen accurate radio shack ball mount used in the movie is grey. I'll attach a screenshot from when you first see the Jeeps in the film.

For the mount plate, if you're referring to the mount plate on the RadioShack base, it was just the one that came with it and I didn't paint anything. If you're in need of a screen accurate ball mount base that is grey, let me know and I may know a few people selling one. If you go with the black one, you can paint it grey but they are quite a bit larger than the screen accurate ones. Be sure to make this decision before you mount anything, as if you mount the larger one first and then decide to go for a screen accurate one, you won't be able to as the holes won't line up and you'll be left with holes exposed in the body.

If you are referring to the mount plate for the ramsey winch, it is the screen accurate reproduction from Kyle Bottorff that is great quality and comes powder coated black.

For the OEM carpet, I got it off a buddy that is somewhat local to me. OEM sets that you find these days are usually faded from all the years, but I just prefer OEM stuff. However, i've seen and heard great things from the ACC set in Dark Green. I think that color probably is closer to what the Jeep carpet looked like back in 1992. Once my carpet gets too worn out, i'll probably buy a set of it myself.

Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 6.26.18 PM.png

Sync

Post by Sync » May 25th, 2021, 2:01 pm

Oh ok, I now understand.
You bought the grey ball mount to someone doing it especially. I thought you maybe find old stock of RadioShack base lol
Then, yes for sure I am really interested in such piece. If you can tell me where or to whom I can buy it please ?

I tried to find the ACC OEM carpet, but too lost in so much proposals. Can you tell me what should be chosen between :
- w or w/o rocker panels ?
- cutpile original material or essex custom ?
I see that there is also floor mats. Did the JEEP YJ Sahara model came with ? Or not ? If yes, did a logo was sewed ?

Concerning yours, I understand that you tried to keep original parts as much as you can. I think that I would try the same if it was possible for me.
When flooring 'll put again, please let us see your work ! It could be intersting to see original flooring :D
And will you also put sound deadener on passenger area ? Or only on cargo area ?