JP18 Build Thread (Number 2), Jacksonville FL

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Dwight
Site Moderator

Re: JP12 Build Thread, Jacksonville FL

Post by Dwight » March 17th, 2021, 5:06 pm

100% worth it. The raincoats definitely seem quality. The decals are heat pressed on so they should last. And it comes with all the other rain coat parts like the hood and pants.

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » March 18th, 2021, 1:27 pm

Received my decals for the Jeep and REP6000 from 401Graphics. The one and only place to get your decals from so you don't end up with a JURASSK Park vehicle lol.

tempImageNHbgsf.gif

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » March 18th, 2021, 1:32 pm

**Screen Accurate Enthusiasts**

After speaking with Cyrix9445, it has been brought to light that there's at least 2 stills (after enhancing) that you can see a Key Identification Tag on. a red tag in Explorer 04 during the T-Rex attack, and a yellow tag in JP12 during the Dilophosaurus attack.

This information was discovered years ago but may have been buried over the years, so I wanted to bring it back to light for those who may be looking for even more added accuracy. Granted these can only be seen on EX04 and JP12, you could assume they may have been on the other vehicles at some point in time.

No one knows what exactly is written on the tags so Cyrix took a simple approach to it. Attaching his photo for reference. If you would like to buy tags for yourself, you can find them at Lowes, Home Depot, and even Amazon. The ones I purchased are Hillmans brand from Home Depot.

tempImageFXOn0d.gif
tempImageTaHN4r.gif
tempImage7Jy7L8.gif
tempImage7Jy7L8.gif (338.88 KiB) Viewed 94914 times
tempImage145mzg.gif

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » March 21st, 2021, 6:19 pm

Managed to find someone that was selling their Sahara but that was nice enough to remove the panels and sell me everything with them.

I would much rather have OEM parts even if it requires a little bit of restoration. Took a magic eraser and baking soda to the panel with the most sun damage and had promising results. So I should be able to restore them without needing to paint.

tempImage7yuugu.gif

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » March 22nd, 2021, 2:10 pm

More goodies came in the mail today.

From Kyle Bottorff (kytor.com):

- Screen accurate tow hooks (powder coated). These are true to the movie as in they have all the inconsistencies such as offset bolt holes, etc.
- Winch spacer kit (powder coated). Much better option than using a stack of washers. Plus there are a few stills during the movie in which the spacers are visible. They are also still on the screen used Jeep at IOA.
- Sahara fog light brackets (powder coated)

From Ebay:

- Replacement cable for my REP6000. The cable came with an eye thimble which I had to remove. Was kind of a pain in the rear end if I'm being honest. The thimble is actually a nice touch since it protects the hook from rubbing directly on the cable, but it wasn't "screen accurate" so it had to go.
- The most accurate hook for the cable that I can find right now. It's a 1/4" Clevis slip hook. It does say "FORGED" but is lacking the "USA". and it does say "HIGH TEST" but not "HI TEST". Good enough for now I suppose.

NOT PICTURED:

- 2 packs of door panel tabs from Team Cherokee that hold the panels onto the half door.
- A set of 4 OEM shackles with bolts. Need these to bring my Jeep down to stock height after I replace the tires.

tempImageo5uqro.gif
tempImageaj9VSr.gif
tempImagebc87yn.gif
tempImageLXdu2D.gif

JustinHayes
Vehicle Make/Model: Jeep/Wrangler 1993
Facebook Name: Justin Hayes
Facebook Profile URL: https://www.facebook.com/justin.hayes.972

Post by JustinHayes » March 24th, 2021, 6:15 pm

Question for ya, where does one find a REP6000 ?... I would like one too

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » March 24th, 2021, 8:42 pm

To find an old REP6000 you got to be diligent and consistent on searching sites like Craigslist and FB Marketplace. And usually make an offer to the seller to convince them to ship it, whilst also beating everyone else to the punch.

Word on the street is Ramsey has some more reproduction REP6000s for sale. Only downside to those are they aren’t 100% accurate. The motor housing is 1” longer than the original, and it has a different end plate (different stamp or something). A positive with the new 6000s are just that...they are new.

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » March 25th, 2021, 6:29 pm

Found a seller on Ebay, with 100% feedback, that takes old radios and adds Bluetooth and AUX functions to them. He just so happened to be selling a screen accurate radio for my Jeep, so I hopped on that quick.

This is one of those quality of life updates that I don't mind sacrificing a little screen accuracy for. It doesn't really take away from the overall look of the radio, but now I don't have to use those cigarette lighter receivers to get my music across. The AUX port is in the front and the preset 1 button toggles the Bluetooth on and off.

I've also started to long and painful process of restoring these sun faded Sahara door panels. Much better than repainting them if you ask me. Just takes some patience and a magic eraser. But I'm making very good progress on them.

tempImageAyVRNh.gif
28.jpeg
28.jpeg (97.56 KiB) Viewed 94853 times

bikemancs
Vehicle Make/Model: 1994 Wrangler
Instagram: Big_Es_Motorpool

Post by bikemancs » March 28th, 2021, 11:07 am

JEXP94 wrote:
March 17th, 2021, 3:42 am
I've been on the fence with potentially buying the rain coat. What are your impressions of it? Does it seem that the decals will last?
I've got one. The jacket is a normal rain jacket. The decals seem to be pretty solid.
1994 Wrangler Sahara. Soon to become JP-30

Follow the progress @ Big E's Motorpool (insta: big_es_motorpool)

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » March 30th, 2021, 3:36 pm

Went ahead and started restoring some of the black trim on the Jeep while I save up money for some BFG's. First up is the Sahara fog light housings.

Using Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2x in a flat sheen, they are looking great! The flat isn't as flat as I thought it would be so I think I'm going to use this on everything to include the bumper, hood accessories, etc.

I still need to find a suitable bulb for my housings, so if anyone has some leads that would be greatly appreciated!

tempImageW1zNCi.gif
tempImageW1zNCi.gif (316.67 KiB) Viewed 94798 times