JP Jeep YJ build, Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada (Another JP41)

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
John41

JP Jeep YJ build, Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada (Another JP41)

Post by John41 » May 21st, 2020, 5:34 pm

Hello all.

I joined the forums back in early July 2018 after I had committed to building a Jeep, (though I had been lurking around quite a long time before that).

I haven't created a build thread until now because progress has been pretty slow until recently and I figured there wasn't any point in having 2 JP41 threads going if mine didn't have anything interesting in it, (and I didn't want to steal jp41's thunder. His thread is here in case you clicked here by mistake). Now that I'm getting closer to being finished I decided to post a few pictures to show what I've been up too. (It's pretty image heavy)

I had been searching for a decent looking YJ for quite a while without much success. Couldn't find anything near by that hadn't rusted to pieces, but I suppose that's just the way it is. I eventually expanded my search outside of the Maritimes and Maine, and in July of 2018 I found a suitable candidate posted on Kijiji in Woodstock, ON.

The Jeep was a 1992 Islander automatic, with no doors and had clearly had some body work done in the past. What I liked about it was that for the better part of it's life it hadn't been driven in the winter and had had an undercoating applied annually. I decided to get it, so my father and I drove the 1480km from Fredericton NB to Woodstock ON, made the purchase and drove back within 5 days I managed to get off work.

Next came trying to collect some of the parts I'd need for the conversion. I managed to get a set of doors on Ebay and some aftermarket mirrors that had to be modified slightly to accommodate my aftermarket hinges. I did get some OEM windshield hinges off of a wreck in a junkyard but couldn't seem to find the correct combination of oil and heat to get them unseized.

The rims were a bit of a hassle to get a hold of too. Ended up doing on a couple more excursions in early 2019, picking up 4 in Moncton NB and 2 more in Cape Breton NS. Obviously paid for it in gas, but still cheaper (and more fun) than getting refinished ones online

During a vacation in late August I took another road trip searching for Sahara seats. Managed to find a pair of front seats north of Chicoutimi QC and another set and a bench out of a wreck in Barrie ON. I pulled most of the carpet out of it too as well as a set of mirrors in case I really want OEM ones on someday.

I took the driver side seats to an upholstery place and had them replace the foam and cobble together one seat out of the material from both other of them. I got the carpet detailed and while it's still a little rough in places, it's 100 times better than it was before. It should be a decent stand in until I can get a complete replacement kit. The only oddity is the gap for the stick shift.

I picked up a new Bestop soft top and after getting it installed, I immediately took it off again, and brought the jeep to the garage for bodywork and paint.

I'm more a movie fan than a car enthusiast and certainly not a professional painter, so I didn't really want to try to turn a garage into a paint booth and do it myself. It's clear that one of the previous owners had done a less than ideal job painting the Jeep white in the past, (I'm still scraping white over spray off the rubber parts). I can't even imagine trying to sand all that off by hand.

As you can probably tell from the photographs the passenger side body panel had been replaced with an aftermarket one (missing the Jeep stamp), and as the driver side was warped and rusted in a few places, I got a pair of OMIX replacements.

I spent the next few weeks working on stripping it apart in my spare time. They weren't going to have time to work on it until the winter months anyway so I tried to save them some labour for being gracious enough to let me keep the jeep in their shop over the winter.

We picked away at it during our spare time but it really wasn't until the start of March 2020 that most of the work was done. The paint went on the first week of May and this is the result.

Many of you will probably notice the base isn't the same sand beige, it actually the newer Chrysler White Gold. It gives it a little bit of a warmer colour. The red is the Ford Performance. I decided to get the inside of the tub done with a bed liner and I'm really happy with how that turned out. Looks pretty sharp even though it's mostly covered with the carpet.

Over the next few days my father and I worked on putting it all back together.

I brought it home and waited a few days for it to be warm enough to get the soft top on. (It actually snowed here last week, (second week of May 2020).

I then got the rims swapped out with the red ones.

The tires are 31x10.5 and are honestly a little larger than I'd like to be running. Also I forgot the factory spare tire mount wouldn't able to accommodate tires of that size on stock rims, so until I find a spacer or something to make up the extra inch I need, I'll have to leave the spare off. Eventually I want to pick up a (smaller) set of KO2s but if anyone has any ideas of a solution for the spare, let me know.

I also pulled out the factory switches for the rear window defrost & wipers and replaced them with some rocker switches I plan to wire up to the lights.

The centre console is still the same, I yet to see a Sahara console that wasn't broken, so it will have to do for now.

The interior door panels are the same ones I had before. They painted them with a forest green which will make them a nice stand in until I can find something better.

I've got a set of Delta 100 series fogs that I'll put on as soon as I can find a mounting solution. The back lights will probably be a set of Unity night eye halogens.

I have the decals for the doors but still have to get them applied. I'm not sure I'm confident enough in my ability to apply them strait and without bubbles or wrinkles, but I may have to as it seems many of the local sign shops are only offering a pretty limited range of services these days, for obvious reasons. Hopefully I'll have time to tackle that before too long.

Eventually I'd like to get a winch plate and winch although that's not very high on the list right now. Next comes a lot of cleaning and detailing, (still so much dust everywhere).

Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone who has contributed here on the forums and elsewhere to the huge amount of detailed knowledge about these vehicles. I'm glad I didn't have to be a pioneer, figuring everything out and documenting it, but I sure am grateful to those that did.

Valvany

Re: JP Jeep YJ build, Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada (Another JP41)

Post by Valvany » May 22nd, 2020, 3:29 am

Nice build! job well done!

The reason there is a gap in your carpet next to your stick shift is because you have an automatic (manuals have 2 stick shift levers)

Rhylaxk

Post by Rhylaxk » May 31st, 2020, 3:36 am

The "must go faster" button maked me laught ^^

Very good detail !

jp41
Vehicle Make/Model: Jurassic Jeep 41

Post by jp41 » June 15th, 2020, 6:22 pm

Welcome my canadian twin!

If you are ever near tennessee, let me know!

Beautiful build!

Munker68
Vehicle Make/Model: 1993 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Facebook Name: Billy Munker
Instagram: unclemunk68

Post by Munker68 » June 19th, 2020, 9:37 am

Great job on the build progress, it looks amazing!!! Don’t be scared of that decal, you got it!! Also, did you happen to see on the JP Motor pool website there is a sherwin Williams paint code that matches the center console and the door panels? Not sure if they have that in Canada but it will give you the accuracy you want for them! Then just get the door pouches that Jurassic Vic sells and your golden!!

Glissard
Instagram: @raptorwrangler18

Post by Glissard » June 19th, 2020, 5:17 pm

Awesome progress and I love the "must go faster" switch! Vin would be proud.
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (5.59 KiB) Viewed 15218 times

John41

Post by John41 » July 16th, 2020, 5:55 pm

Hey Guys, thanks for the feedback. Been pretty busy in recent weeks but I did manage to make a little more progress.

After not getting much back from the sign shops in my area, I decided to take Munker's advice and just apply them myself. Was a little worried about applying them but the whole soapy water spray bottle technique worked wonders. I'll admit I didn't really believe it until I'd seen it. Not sure if decals are perfect but I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

There's actually a Sherwin Williams outlet not that far from where I live, so I'll probably look into getting the door panels and console painted in the near future. Definitely want to pick up some of Vic's pouches at some point, but the post on this side has been struggling with the backlog and things moving through customs have been pretty slow, so I may have to wait a bit.

Got the Delta and Unity fogs installed and wired up. Need to get a replacement bulb for the driver's side Unity, (the things have been kicking around my basement for a couple of years untested so I was kind of expecting something to not work 100%). I have a couple of extra unity lights I should be able to strip for parts.

Definitely want to do a road trip someday and maybe meet some other JP vehicle builders, but I'll probably be keeping close to home this summer. Lots of little things to work away at still, but it's nice to have a vehicle that ticks all the boxes to be classified as a movie car.

Munker68
Vehicle Make/Model: 1993 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Facebook Name: Billy Munker
Instagram: unclemunk68

Post by Munker68 » July 20th, 2020, 10:24 am

Great job on the decals!! Your build looks amazing, excited to see the continued progress!!

WilsonYJ95
Vehicle Make/Model: Jeep Wrangler sport YJ

Post by WilsonYJ95 » November 5th, 2020, 6:04 am

I’m trying to find a windshield mounting bar ? To hold the lights at the top of the windshield??? Going to be putting whip antenna as well so any one have any ideals where I can buy that bar from ??? Or instructions how to fabricate my own for cheap?????

dstone
Vehicle Make/Model: 1995 Jeep Wrangler
Facebook Name: Drew Stone

Post by dstone » November 5th, 2020, 9:54 am

WilsonYJ95 wrote:
November 5th, 2020, 6:04 am
I’m trying to find a windshield mounting bar ? To hold the lights at the top of the windshield??? Going to be putting whip antenna as well so any one have any ideals where I can buy that bar from ??? Or instructions how to fabricate my own for cheap?????
I ordered mine from Jack Fauth (No Limit Customs - https://no-limitcustoms.com/).
Kyle Bottorff has started manufacturing them (Kytor Industries https://kytor.com/store/10-custom-yj-parts). I ordered a bunch of his other parts for my build.
I've also heard the Jamieson Fabrication ones are pretty good.
1995 Jeep Wrangler JP10 - WIP
1995 Jeep Wrangler JP12
1991 Ford Explorer EX04 - WIP
1992 Ford Explorer EX05 - WIP