Explorer Build Thread - Jacksonville FL

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Dwight
Site Moderator

Re: Explorer Build Thread - Jacksonville FL

Post by Dwight » August 4th, 2020, 3:17 pm

Appreciate it!

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » August 4th, 2020, 3:22 pm

As promised, here are photos of the brush guard installed. I'm loving how it makes the explorer look bulkier. It was a pretty straightforward process to mount. Glad I was able to get on Greg's final run of guards since the original Go Rhino guard is very hard to find (but what part of the explorer ISNT hard to find?).

Next step is to install the tail light guards. I want to get all these parts mounted up prior to paint so I don't have to do any drilling into the body once the purrrrrty paint is applied.
Brush Guard Installed 1.JPG
Brush Guard Installed 2.JPG

JEXP94
Vehicle Make/Model: 1994 Ford Explorer XLT

Post by JEXP94 » August 4th, 2020, 4:35 pm

Niceeeee!!! It's coming together really well!!

I agree, the brush guard really brings the mean and lean appearance all together much better.

2 questions -

When you say you want to apply the tail-light guards before the paint, why not install them so the holes are then pre-done, and then take them off and paint the car for a full finish, re-installing the tail-light guards afterward? Or is that what you're planning to do anyway?

Also, I am still searching for the base vehicle, I haven't gotten to the paint yet, but I'm considering buying it soon because there's a part of me that is scared that they might possibly go out of business for some reason and then we lose the source of our screen-accurate paint colors. It sounds like you are ready to paint the vehicle soon which leads me to believe you might already have acquired the paint? If so and if you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you for everything? If you haven't bought it yet, how much did / are they quoting you for the price of the paint?

Keep up the awesome work! I'm getting antsy to get my base vehicle and start my conversion, I can't wait anymore :(

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » August 4th, 2020, 5:58 pm

Thank you!

1) Yea, thats what I was saying I was going to do. Im installing the everything so the holes are where they need to be. Then i'll remove everything prior to painting, and reinstall after.

2) I'm actually quite far away from painting I think. I've still got to finish removing the pin striping, remove all the window seals, cut the hole in the roof, get stencils, etc. Plus i've gotta save up the $3000 for the actual paint job itself. Paying the guy who helped me paint my Jeep to help me with the Explorer. That doesn't include the cost of the paint, which i've not looked into yet. Like you, I want to get with the company in Orlando for the proprietary paint colors (red/white/yellow/flat tan) and buy them before they possibly go out of business. I would hope they stay in business, and if not, at least share the paint code lol. But it was definitely on my short term "to-do" list.

Since the paint job is such a pricey step, I've been doing a lot of the cheaper things such as sound deadening, cleaning up the engine bay, scouring for the harder to find screen accurate parts, etc. I also want new headlights, new hoses, and all those things that will make the vehicle look and run like new.

I feel your pain on searching for a base vehicle. It can be a daunting task, especially if you're going for as close to screen accurate as possible. You have to find a reliable, non-rusted out explorer, that doesn't have hundreds of thousands of miles....oh and not to mention, its gotta be a 2x4, and have tan interior so you don't have to hunt down all the tan trim pieces.

MrDNA

Post by MrDNA » August 15th, 2020, 9:04 pm

Dwight wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 5:58 pm
Im installing the everything so the holes are where they need to be.
Regarding holes for the tail light guards, instead of the self tapping metal screws , consider using rivnuts. They allow for much easier ,safer(for paint) removal of the tail light guards when replacing lights. They also make the mounting stronger, not that its really an issue unless you hang on them. Use the tool that looks like bolt cutters, or better the pneumatic version.

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » August 15th, 2020, 10:09 pm

I appreciate the suggestion! Will have to look into exactly what you’re talking about since I’m not familiar with it nor how to do it.

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » September 13th, 2020, 7:12 pm

Purchased an Arduino Beginners Kit so that I can at least start building a foundation for my future attempt at programming this build to do all the cool stuff.
IMG_8371.JPG

NathansPROPS

Post by NathansPROPS » September 13th, 2020, 7:42 pm

Nice! I recently got A udemy class on basic electronics and Arduino!

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » September 14th, 2020, 3:33 pm

Took my camera game to the next level with these bad boys. Dash cameras (WV-BL90A) with lenses (WV-LA12A) and the brush guard camera (Sanyo 2914). Purchased from two separate Motor Pool members. Spent months upon months searching for the dash cameras and really lucked out on them.

Dash Cameras and Lenses.jpeg
Brush Guard Camera.jpeg

JEXP94
Vehicle Make/Model: 1994 Ford Explorer XLT

Post by JEXP94 » September 14th, 2020, 4:37 pm

Hey Dwight,

It looks like you posted to the for sale section - how much are you asking the cameras? :P