JP22 Build Thread - Willamette Valley Oregon

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Solace

Re: JP22 Build Thread - Willamette Valley Oregon

Post by Solace » April 23rd, 2019, 10:11 am

Dwight wrote:Looks like you're making some good progress! Cant wait to see the transformation when you start to lay down paint and such!
Heck yeah! That's the next big step. Unfortunately now it's just down to time/money. Buying the paint and buying the tires are the last MAJOR expenses I have in front of me. I'm going to prioritize the paint and hopefully get going on it in May!
JP Junkie wrote:Looking good. I envy those rims... For some reason stock rims just don't exist in Minnesota. The ones I did get were in rough shape (can't tell now since I got them blasted).

I want to add that if you plan on removing any of the torx bolts, you should invest in a mini torch and heat them up so their good and hot before even attempting to unbolt them. If you don't use heat, you'll end up stripping the heads.
Ouch, sorry to hear that! If it's any consolation, they're fairly uncommon here too. I really did just get super lucky. But yeah, for the bolts, I intend to get a more powerful map gas torch. The butane torch worked surprisingly well, but I've got a few more bolts to remove yet. You can definitely see the damage I did to the torx head in the last pic :lol:

JP Junkie

Post by JP Junkie » April 23rd, 2019, 3:45 pm

Solace wrote:for the bolts, I intend to get a more powerful map gas torch. The butane torch worked surprisingly well, but I've got a few more bolts to remove yet. You can definitely see the damage I did to the torx head in the last pic :lol:
Right on. Sounds like you're well prepared!
Jurassic Park Jeep 10: Completed - Location: Minnesota
https://www.facebook.com/JPMaintenanceJeep/
Remember... a correct font is as important as the correct paint color!

Solace

Post by Solace » April 30th, 2019, 10:01 pm

More baby steps! I work 5 days a week so my weekends tend to fill up quick, lol. Small updates but lots of pics!
20190420_192542.jpg
Battery was dead. It was also kind of old. The connectors on my wires looked fossilized.
20190428_120415.jpg
Here are the old and new side by side
20190428_123429.jpg
Aaaaand here's the shiny new optima with its shiny new connectors. NOT pictured is all the wiring for the big LED trail light/fogs that I pulled out. The previous owner had done a decent job, but some of the routing paths interfered with other components. If/when I re-wire it, I'll document it.... Or I'll just sell the assembly and buy the right fogs. We'll see!
20190429_123307.jpg
After getting the battery all freshened up, I decided to tackle the busted pioneer stereo that was installed. Here is what the factory harness looked like after I cut out the Pioneer harness. It was not compatible with the 16 pin harness for the Sony stereo that will be replacing it. Not pictured are the surprisingly good alpine speakers that the previous owner had installed in the dash. I also have a soundbar coming in the mail!
20190429_130224_Flip.jpg
OKAY SO. I had a HECK of a time tracking down an accurate reference for the factory wiring until I stumbled upon an incredibly helpful post on JeepForum:
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/las ... p-2763434/

I then had to figure out which wire connected to which in the Sony harness, documented here:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/suppor ... s/00025257

So i listed the color of the factory wires, the components they go to, and what the corresponding wire on the 16-pin Sony harness would be. And since anything worth doing is worth overdoing (Thank you Adam Savage) I color coded each set of corresponding wires.
20190429_132858.jpg
Please don't crucify me, this is my first ever attempt at creating a wiring harness! I would do some things differently if/when I do it again, but it WORKS.
Screenshot_20190430-192308_Video Player.jpg
Last but not least, the very functional Sony XR-C7200! A cassette deck from 1998 that can control a CD changer or even an MD changer! I may update the unit down the road, but I had this on hand and wanted to stop driving in silence. Luckily the 16 pin harness that Sony uses has not changed in the many years since this deck came around :)

PLUS if I ever DO find a reasonably priced MD changer, I am all about cruising down the road in my 95 jeep listening to my custom playlist burned onto half a dozen mini-discs, lol.

Also pictured is my damaged center bezel.... I'll get to it!

JP Junkie

Post by JP Junkie » May 2nd, 2019, 8:26 am

Also pictured is my damaged center bezel
lol. Yeah. Mine is missing the bottom as well. I'm finding it not often to see one intact.
Jurassic Park Jeep 10: Completed - Location: Minnesota
https://www.facebook.com/JPMaintenanceJeep/
Remember... a correct font is as important as the correct paint color!